DocJJ

Can we see Stewart, Cisco, Mountcastle instead of Martin, Severino, and Rickard?

Hays and Diaz have done nothing so far due to injuries. Stewart and Sisco got off to average to bad starts. Stewart and Sisco have been better lately, but none of the four really proved the front office wrong by continuing to hit when the seasons started in the minors.

2 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Hays and Diaz have done nothing so far due to injuries. Stewart and Sisco got off to average to bad starts. Stewart and Sisco have been better lately, but none of the four really proved the front office wrong by continuing to hit when the seasons started in the minors.

You were the one suggesting that what players do in September call ups and spring training could make a difference right?

Not gonna lie - it stings that Beckham has 21 XBH's in 155 at bats - whether or not he'd be a long-term answer for anything for the O's.  Ah well, we really needed good defensive play at SS, so it is what it is.  His best role here would have been as a super-sub - not the starting SS.    

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You were the one suggesting that what players do in September call ups and spring training could make a difference right?

Yeah, you don't think it could?

1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

I'd imagine they are all trying. Most of them just aren't very good, which is why they are playing for us right now.

Well, the fact is I’m not sure they are trying. Such bad fundamental baseball is inexcusable. If they are trying in there playing like that, they need to be far away. If they’re not trying, then my point is valid. I think my point is valid either way. You send the guys down who are playing sloppy, and you tell them, “I’m sending you down because you’re playing like crap. I’ve seen eight-year-old kids in T-ball playing better.“ And send them down. 

3 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Yeah, you don't think it could?

I think I it should, at least a little.

That doesn't appear to be the case.

12 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Not gonna lie - it stings that Beckham has 21 XBH's in 155 at bats - whether or not he'd be a long-term answer for anything for the O's.  Ah well, we really needed good defensive play at SS, so it is what it is.  His best role here would have been as a super-sub - not the starting SS.    

He also has 13 errors so far which works out to about 50 over the course of the season. No thank you. I guarantee you that the people over at Lookout Landing are also pondering the devils bargain that they have made, and many of them are wishing they could have a do over.

Just now, Philip said:

Well, the fact is I’m not sure they are trying. Such bad fundamental baseball is inexcusable. If they are trying in there playing like that, they need to be far away. If they’re not trying, then my point is valid. I think my point is valid either way. You send the guys down who are playing sloppy, and you tell them, “I’m sending you down because you’re playing like crap. I’ve seen eight-year-old kids in T-ball playing better.“ And send them down. 

Doesn't most of the team have a huge incentive to try?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Doesn't most of the team have a huge incentive to try?

Sure, but the fact is twofold, first of all they know that no matter how hard they try, they’re still not gonna be good enough to be on the next good oriole team. They know they are marginal players, they can play their absolute best, and they would still get designated as soon as the better guy comes along, and most other guys are better guys. They know this.

Secondly, there is the attitude thing. It’s very difficult to continue to do your best and try your hardest when nobody else around you is doing so, and there are no penalties. It’s really hard. I’m a musician and I play in an orchestra and the analogies are surprisingly similar. It’s really difficult to care about precision playing When the players around you are phoning it in. Eventually you say, “well, they don’t care, why should I.” Did last nights fiasco result in anything?

Did anyone get sent down or fined or designated? No.

5 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Martin actually ranks second to last in UZR/150 among shortstops with at least 200 innings played. He also ranks near the bottom of the league in defensive runs saved and Plus Minus runs saved. I don't think Martin's that good of a defensive shortstop. Rio Ruiz is a much better defensive player at his position than Martin is IMO. 

I hope that "Swaggy T" is last and if not - wtf????????

826793488.0.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I've got a lot of issues with this post.

1. "occasionally" guys are better in the majors? Who are your examples? If they exist, I'd wager they're in two categories. One category is for the highly ranked, toolsy stud who performed poorly for any number of reasons over small samples in the minors. I can see promoting that guy based on projection. The other is the not so good guy who gets called up and performs over a small sample. That does nothing for me. If you can point out the solid-average or better established ML players who weren't very good in the minors over a medium-large sample, I'd like to hear it.

Of the, say, 400 or so established majors leaguers who have played multiple years, I’d venture a guess that 40-50 have noticeably outperformed their MiL performance.  I’ll give some thought to examples, but off the top of my head, Jose Ramirez is one.   

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Smith has hit well.  Otherwise not so much.

Could you imagine if Buck was still manager what his reaction would have been to Smith's two throws last night? Do you think Smith would be in the outfield tonight?

2 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Could you imagine if Buck was still manager what his reaction would have been to Smith's two throws last night? Do you think Smith would be in the outfield tonight?

He was have forced Elias to move Trumbo off the DL.  😛

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Of the, say, 400 or so established majors leaguers who have played multiple years, I’d venture a guess that 40-50 have noticeably outperformed their MiL performance.  I’ll give some thought to examples, but off the top of my head, Jose Ramirez is one.   

Most established big leaguers hit for more power in the bigs than they do in the minors since power often develops later.   You may be low with your guess of 40-50.  

4 hours ago, Philip said:

I agree with this.  And for the most part, something like this is not really coachable.  It is about Pride.  It is one thing to be lacking in talent and quite another to be lacking in Pride.  Because where there is no Pride, there is no Shame.  ie, anything goes.  So give me players who may not be HOF ers, but have HOF Pride built into their human makeup.  A hustling low talented player is more watchable than a slaggard.