wildcard

Things to try for the starting rotation

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying it would have been easy, heck I'm not saying it was possible.

What I am saying is that Drungo's statement isn't accurate.  Elias did not come in and tear the team down to the studs.

If anything he found some old, soggy, abandoned driftwood and tried to replace some missing studs before the roof caved in.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying it would have been easy, heck I'm not saying it was possible.

What I am saying is that Drungo's statement isn't accurate.  Elias did not come in and tear the team down to the studs.

If your point is you don't trust the Angelos family until you see us get international FAs (something you've said/implied many times), I understand that. I choose not to be there, but there's nothing wrong with a "show me" perspective when you're dealing with an organization that hasn't done that in the past. 

If your point is that there's failure because he hasn't had more of a tear down in the 6 months he's been here, I just don't see it because I think the decisions we've seen have been 100% logical.

We're losing this year anyway, so you have to give Davis a chance to salvage some kind of value. We're losing anyway and he's injured, so you might as well let Trumbo linger in the off chance you can salvage value. We're losing anyway, so you might as well run Cashner out there and hope he improves to the point we can trade him. Givens value wasn't that high, his cost is low and we own his rights for a bit, so you might as well hope he gets hot before the deadline so you can get a good deal. Cobb's value is low and his cost is high, so you have to let him play to establish some trading value.

It's all very logical. That's what I don't get from the people complaining. Elias' actions are completely consistent with a guy who is trying not to waste resources. A guy who's trying to squeeze value out of every rock we have and a guy who is doing everything he can not to let the mess in Baltimore undercut the development of our prospects. Skepticism is fine, but I don't understand complaints at this point.

10 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

If your point is you don't trust the Angelos family until you see us get international FAs (something you've said/implied many times), I understand that. I choose not to be there, but there's nothing wrong with a "show me" perspective when you're dealing with an organization that hasn't done that in the past. 

If your point is that there's failure because he hasn't had more of a tear down in the 6 months he's been here, I just don't see it because I think the decisions we've seen have been 100% logical.

We're losing this year anyway, so you have to give Davis a chance to salvage some kind of value. We're losing anyway and he's injured, so you might as well let Trumbo linger in the off chance you can salvage value. We're losing anyway, so you might as well run Cashner out there and hope he improves to the point we can trade him. Givens value wasn't that high, his cost is low and we own his rights for a bit, so you might as well hope he gets hot before the deadline so you can get a good deal. Cobb's value is low and his cost is high, so you have to let him play to establish some trading value.

It's all very logical. That's what I don't get from the people complaining. Elias' actions are completely consistent with a guy who is trying not to waste resources. A guy who's trying to squeeze value out of every rock we have and a guy who is doing everything he can not to let the mess in Baltimore undercut the development of our prospects. Skepticism is fine, but I don't understand complaints at this point.

My point, in this case, is that Drungo wasn't being accurate in his statement.

That was the totality of the point I was making. 

53 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Some people aren't happy unless it's them against the world.  Elias' actions are completely consistent with what he's trying to do, which is to build a self-sustaining franchise which can win in a few years.  It's not at all surprising that some percentage of the fanbase thinks that's insane.  You can find some part of the fanbase that has been against every move the franchise has made since I started following the team in 1979.

16 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox sign free agents or trade for players that flame out all the time. But like you said, they have a printing press that allows them to spend good money after bad. Plus they have a decent amount of home grown prospects that are contributors on the 25 man roster.

Orioles miss on Cobb and Davis, and it sets them back years. When the Red Sox can just go and find the next player.

When I talk to people about this who dont think it's a problem I always ask them if they are a parent, and what they would think if their son/daughter and a friend came home with a test.  The test is a ten question test and the friend got 7/10 questions right while their son/daughter got 8/10.  However when asked what the grade is the son/daughter got a B while the friend got an A.  That's major league baseball. And the analogy usually works to show people the absurdity of what has been deemed a competitively balanced system. Large market teams simply can make more mistakes and end up with better results.

The Boston Redsox won the WS last year with over $80 million in dead money (Sandoval, Craig, Rusney Castillo).  That was more dead money than 4 teams were paying their entire payroll.

3 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

When I talk to people about this who dont think it's a problem I always ask them if they are a parent, and what they would think if their son/daughter and a friend came home with a test.  The test is a ten question test and the friend got 7/10 questions right while their son/daughter got 8/10.  However when asked what the grade is the son/daughter got a B while the friend got an A.  That's major league baseball. And the analogy usually works to show people the absurdity of what has been deemed a competitively balanced system. Large market teams simply can make more mistakes and end up with better results.

The Boston Redsox won the WS last year with over $80 million in dead money (Sandoval, Craig, Rusney Castillo).  That was more dead money than 4 teams were paying their entire payroll.

Yup. Teams like the Red Sox get graded on a curve. They can miss a couple questions on the quiz, but always have a chance to earn an A. 

I think MLB needs a revenue sharing model similar to the NBA or NFL. The Yankees are no doubt a large market team and generate more revenue than teams like the Pirates. 

But the Yankees don’t operate in a vacuum. They need the other 29 MLB teams to make that revenue. The Yankees can’t play 160 intra-squad games a year and expect to earn $500 million in annual revenues.