Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
interloper

Elias: Big international news coming after July 2

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the O's spend roughly half their allotted pool will folks be happy with the progress?  

i can see the case for it but I wouldn't agree.

I guess I don’t see the harm in acknowledging this is at minimum a step in the right direction and we’ll see what that actually means.  Until then, we are all speculating anyway and inserting each of our inherent biases.  Why don’t we just take what he said at face value and agree that is an improvement with the degree of improvement TBD?  Seems pretty straightforward to me.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, foxfield said:

We clearly HAVE to start somewhere.  A bunch of signings immediately in June would be a huge change.  If they spend 3.5 million and Corn or anyone else wants to shrug...so be it.  As noted above, the bar is pretty low.  But the comments today, regardless of the outcome, is a tremendously positive change.  I'll take it as a positive step, one of many that will be required to restore this franchise to prominence.  It's a long road boys and girls.  It's not going to take just one speech or one big week.  It's gonna take lots of steps and there will be setbacks.  We know that...right?

I understand that viewpoint.

My viewpoint is if they spend 3.5M or so they might be 28th in spending?  Maybe 30th?

I can't get excited about the prospect of falling less behind than in prior years.  I'm not expecting them to lead the pack but they need to be part of the main body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vatech1994 said:

I guess I don’t see the harm in acknowledging this is at minimum a step in the right direction and we’ll see what that actually means.  Until then, we are all speculating anyway and inserting each of our inherent biases.  Why don’t we just take what he said at face value and agree that is an improvement with the degree of improvement TBD?  Seems pretty straightforward to me.

I'm fine with that. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they spend 3.5 million of their $6,481,200 pool I'm not counting that as being wrong.

Will you count it as being right?

I’m expecting an outcome something like that.   It’s hard to spend the full allotment when 29 teams had a head start.    

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Will you count it as being right?

I’m expecting an outcome something like that.   It’s hard to spend the full allotment when 29 teams had a head start.    

I wouldn't expect all.

As I said in a more recent post that you probably haven't read yet, I'd like to see middle of the pack results before I buy that ownership is letting him do as he sees fit.

I think 3.5M is a reasonable expectation, that is why I used it.  I also think it will be a disappointing result.

 

As for right or wrong, I'd hold off until the following season and see what the spending is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I understand that viewpoint.

My viewpoint is if they spend 3.5M or so they might be 28th in spending?  Maybe 30th?

I can't get excited about the prospect of falling less behind than in prior years.  I'm not expecting them to lead the pack but they need to be part of the main body.

Well, if they spend 2.5M but get quality players they still have more to spend later.  If they spend 6.5M on bodies who are not good, who cares.  Your point is completely fair though and your contention all along is they don't have permission to spend, so...I get it.  I am prepared to accept improvement this year with the expectation that next year we are in a position to get higher in the pack, as you note above.  But at the end of the day, it is the quality that matters most.  We lack talent.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bobmc said:

Here is a portion of the PC

 

Says no room for DJ Stewart on the team wi( Smith Jr. playing so well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Fantastic interview.    He made it clear that we probably aren’t signing any of the top 7-10 guys and that other teams have been doing advance work for two years on this year’s class, compared to our six months.    But he said we would be making some “significant” signings.     I’m very pleased with that report.    If anything it sounds like we’ll do a little better than I expected in this signing period.  

He didn’t say the top 7 to 10 guys, he said they wouldn’t have the top 7 to 10 highest amount of dollars spent on a player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Orioles announcing they have players they are going to sign is a good sign.  I feel like what we did sign was quietly and long after other teams had their guys already.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, atomic said:

He didn’t say the top 7 to 10 guys, he said they wouldn’t have the top 7 to 10 highest amount of dollars spent on a player.

True.    I’m assuming a meritocracy where the players who are considered the 7-10 best get the most money.   Of course they won’t actually turn out to be the 7-10 best.    Hopefully someone we sign will be up there.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

True.    I’m assuming a meritocracy where the players who are considered the 7-10 best get the most money.   Of course they won’t actually turn out to be the 7-10 best.    Hopefully someone we sign will be up there.   

Like panning for gold nuggets. Takes experience to do it well but you have to have some luck too.

 

gold-pan-9-1-16.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the O's spend roughly half their allotted pool will folks be happy with the progress?  

i can see the case for it but I wouldn't agree.

I’m glad they’re doing something but I see more of a volume signing than signing any guys in the top 30 or 50. Guess we’ll have to wait and see. I’m hoping for the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't expect all.

As I said in a more recent post that you probably haven't read yet, I'd like to see middle of the pack results before I buy that ownership is letting him do as he sees fit.

I think 3.5M is a reasonable expectation, that is why I used it.  I also think it will be a disappointing result.

 

As for right or wrong, I'd hold off until the following season and see what the spending is.

At the end of the day, you will most likely be disappointed with whatever the actual result is in the next signing period. I don't say that as a slight to you, really, just that there will still be a disparity between what actually occurs in their first actual year of entering this market and what we envision is possible.

But whatever they do, it looks like it will clearly be the MOST they've done EVER. It doesn't mean it will be effective in terms of that turning into ML talent. But the progress toward that goal will be noteworthy, and their international efforts should only improve from that point on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So whose going to be available after July 2nd we should be looking at?

I just hope it’s not all a bunch of guys nobody’s heard of and that we at least get one or two that are highly rated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats







×
×
  • Create New...