orpheus100

Broxton is a STUD

4 minutes ago, orpheus100 said:

Lol at the Mets.

He's definitely tooled up. Can he make enough contact to let those tools play? He hasn't to this point in his career, striking out 37% of the time. These are the types of players with upside that you give opportunities to though. 

• Upvote 1

SS............................S?      But in Luke I trust.   So maybe a nugget?    Are we still allowed to call them nuggets?    😀

Just now, murph said:

SS............................S?      But in Luke I trust.   So maybe a nugget?    Are we still allowed to call them nuggets?    😀

You don't have to trust me as far as the tools package. He's hit 20 MLB HRs in 463 PA in recent history. His sprint speed is 21st in the majors this year (and higher than that the previous 3 years). He's been 23 outs above average in the OF from 2016-2019. He's not young and there's plenty of chance that he never hits enough to be more than a speed defensive CF that runs into one every blue moon. But if it does click through consistent playing time or swing/approach tweaks, he's a pretty strong asset with 3 years of team control after 2019. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

You don't have to trust me as far as the tools package. He's hit 20 MLB HRs in 463 PA in recent history. His sprint speed is 21st in the majors this year (and higher than that the previous 3 years). He's been 23 outs above average in the OF from 2016-2019. He's not young and there's plenty of chance that he never hits enough to be more than a speed defensive CF that runs into one every blue moon. But if it does click through consistent playing time or swing/approach tweaks, he's a pretty strong asset with 3 years of team control after 2019. 

Thanks Luke.   I meant more generally in your analysis I trust.   One HR does make for anything but like that you see productive potential.  Even if it’s limited.   It’s a long road we have ahead.  Any small glimmer feels good.    

First impression: I’m going to love having this guy patrol CF defensively.   He’s got speed to burn and he takes charge out there.   He moves very similarly to a young Adam Jones with long strides and you can just see he’s got another gear he can jump to.

He’s also going to get some leg hits, like the one he got in the 8th inning yesterday.   The 2B fielded his grounder but had one eye on Broxton tearing down the line and tried to hurry the play and fumbled the ball.    Chances are he fields that ball cleanly if the runner is slower and he doesn’t rush.    By the way, 30.9 ft/sec sprint speed on that play, which is elite.

It only took one swing to see that he’s got plenty of power.    But his next two AB showed why he hasn’t been able to stick as a starting CF despite his other talents.  Lots of holes in that swing.   

Overall, I think this was a very worthwhile pickup.   Throw this guy out there every day and see what happens.    The defensive improvement of our OF will be noticeable and maybe we can get him to click a bit offensively.   If not, we haven’t really lost anything.   

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, murph said:

μSS

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No idea if he's on the 2020 roster but it will be nice having someone that can go get it in center.

and... (re: Mullins).

9 hours ago, orpheus100 said:

Lol at the Mets.

He's 29. The Mets acquired him for Bobby Wahl and two random minor leaguers.  If you've blanked on Wahl, he's a 26-year-old pitcher with 13 MLB innings and 10 ER.  The Pirates traded him for Jason Rogers, a guy who washed out of the majors after 200 PAs and is in his second season in indy ball.

I'll trust Luke's assessment of his tools.  But he's almost 30, K:BB numbers worse than Adam Jones, and a .218/.307/408 line.  It is nice to have a guy who can fly in center.

Broxton shows that even 4 above average tools isn’t enough if the one you’re missing is hit. But if he can find that a little bit he’ll have some value. 

• Upvote 1

I think Alberto is the one guy that we got that by past numbers that looks like he will perform going forward.   I have no problem with us getting this guy for nothing but odds are he isn’t a nugget.  Just think the Mets gave him to us for nothing,