Sign in to follow this  
Aglets

Bisciotti: Lamar to have fewer rushing attempts in 2019

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26851581/ravens-owner-qb-jackson-run-less-2019

Seems obvious but I guess it's nice to hear ownership make it so clear.

"We realized as much as anybody else did that we had 11 eyes on Lamar at the end of the year," Bisciotti said. "I think they were focused on him, and in order to make him grow, we had to put some speed around him."

There has to be more pressure on LJ than almost any player in the league. I don't think there are many people outside the organization that think he'll be a long term successful NFL QB. 

On 5/30/2019 at 1:16 PM, ChrisP said:

There has to be more pressure on LJ than almost any player in the league. I don't think there are many people outside the organization that think he'll be a long term successful NFL QB. 

I’m not sure that there are that many in B-More. Including Bisciotti IMO

Restricting some of the running will bring his ability to be an NFL QB sooner. That’s what needs to happen so if he can’t they can determine it in a year or two rather than 4 or 5.

I'm kind of done with this will he/ wont he be successful stuff.  The camps are set, they both have their evidence, and there is evidence on either side.  Let me see some in game play and we can judge then.

16 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I'm kind of done with this will he/ wont he be successful stuff.  The camps are set, they both have their evidence, and there is evidence on either side.  Let me see some in game play and we can judge then.

Well they’ve said he hasn’t really looked good in camp. Has good moments and the n bad ones. I just think that’s who he is. A brilliant play and then a fumble, interception, or a sidearm pass at somebody’s feet. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Well they’ve said he hasn’t really looked good in camp. Has good moments and the n bad ones. I just think that’s who he is. A brilliant play and then a fumble, interception, or a sidearm pass at somebody’s feet. 

There is certainly a learning curve at picking up a new offense and he does seem like fastest learner.

He has amazing physical abilities, so he is always going to feel like he can work outside the norms.  Sometimes that results in great plays and sometime you asking yourself "WTF was he thinking?"

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:15 AM, Camden_yardbird said:

There is certainly a learning curve at picking up a new offense and he does seem like fastest learner. 

I am curious why you would say this?  Is it because of Jackson's southern drawl?  He certainly has been successful quickly at every level of football he has played including last year.   Harbaugh has raved over Jackson's ability to see the field which is something that is hard to teach.  I have seen/heard nothing to indicate Jackson is not a really smart football player that other players respect.  Personally, I am excited to see what Jackson can do based on his work ethic, desire, and physical gifts.  He may flop like many are predicting if he can't hold on to the football and make those easy throws, but it won't be due to him not being a smart athlete, imho. 

Good article that covers Lamar's development in the Sun today.  

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-five-things-minicamp-0616-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1gp2

Here is my biggest takeaway:

After months of offseason work with his private passing coach, Joshua Harris, Jackson threw with more authority than he did at this time last year. He stepped into his attempts more consistently and found his outside targets more regularly. He saved his best performance for the last day of minicamp, firing a succession of precise scoring throws when the team practiced its red-zone packages.

But Jackson also reverted to some of the troubling habits that have inspired questions about his long-term potential as a passer. His throws still fluttered at times. He still resorted to side-arm flips for no obvious reason. He still risked interceptions with odd decisions, such as the pass he threw against his body on the dead run Thursday.

I think he will show some improvement this year but I definitely worry about some of these old habits (side-arm flips) that he doesn't seem able or willing to break.

16 hours ago, SouthRider said:

I am curious why you would say this?  Is it because of Jackson's southern drawl?  He certainly has been successful quickly at every level of football he has played including last year.   Harbaugh has raved over Jackson's ability to see the field which is something that is hard to teach.  I have seen/heard nothing to indicate Jackson is not a really smart football player that other players respect.  Personally, I am excited to see what Jackson can do based on his work ethic, desire, and physical gifts.  He may flop like many are predicting if he can't hold on to the football and make those easy throws, but it won't be due to him not being a smart athlete, imho. 

That's actually a mistake on my part.  The reports are he is struggling with the offense.  He is not a fast book learner of the offense.  However he ran a pretty complex offense in college so I think he will pick it up.  

I think preparation eliminates mistakes.  I think the better he knows the offense the more he will understand where he can take off and where he could and should throw the ball.  And obviously understanding protections helps you hold onto the ball.

I think given the relative youth of this team you will see a lot of growing pains and a lot of people ready to jump on him as a bust in the first 4-6 games if he struggles.  That view is short sighted and unfair absent a complete and utter implosion.