weams

2019 1st round pick (1): Adley Rutschman - Catcher - Oregon State University

On 6/6/2019 at 7:22 PM, TonySoprano said:

Not sure I've heard that happen to anyone else other than Babe Ruth.  

10 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

It happened to Barry Bonds at least once

Didn’t Buck do it with the DBacks?

19 hours ago, wildcard said:

Bobby Witts Jr agreed to a full slot contract of almost 7.8m.    So we know Rutschman will get at least that much and probably more.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/royals-agree-to-terms-with-first-rounder-bobby-witt-jr.html

Yes, I think so.   But it was only two years ago that the no. 2 pick got a bigger bonus than no. 1.    So it can happen, though I don’t expect it will this year.   

Debuts at #9 on Fangraphs fresh update to Overall MLB Prospect Rankings.

The next four Orioles clump between 67 and 119, and beyond the Top 5 they have Stowers leap-frogging Akin/Lowther and all the other candidates for our third best pitching prospect.

FWIW they initially give Stowers a 45 FV, and Gunnar just 40+

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Debuts at #9 on Fangraphs fresh update to Overall MLB Prospect Rankings.

The next four Orioles clump between 67 and 119, and beyond the Top 5 they have Stowers leap-frogging Akin/Lowther and all the other candidates for our third best pitching prospect.

FWIW they initially give Stowers a 45 FV, and Gunnar just 40+

Stowers is closer to the Majors, he should be ranked higher on prospect lists. Gunnar has to show something against real competition.

In the spirit of enjoying the shiny new toy, I'll also note he'll bump up to #8 this weekend as Fernando Tatis passes 130 at-bats.

They have him ahead of the downgraded Kyle Tucker, MLB wunderkind Austin Riley, and his 1-1 predecessor Casey Mize.

Of the fifteen FV 60's they pass out, he's in the upper third of that grouping with Adell, Trammell, Hiura and Mize.

Next year could play out as a quest to ascend the Wander Franco Mt. Everest of prospectdom.

I'll be curious to see if Delmarva's success this year is an Adley magnet - in a vacuum he could probably handle getting his feet wet in Frederick.

1 minute ago, OrioleDog said:

In the spirit of enjoying the shiny new toy, I'll also note he'll bump up to #8 this weekend as Fernando Tatis passes 130 at-bats.

They have him ahead of the downgraded Kyle Tucker, MLB wunderkind Austin Riley, and his 1-1 predecessor Casey Mize.

Of the fifteen FV 60's they pass out, he's in the upper third of that grouping with Adell, Trammell, Hiura and Mize.

Next year could play out as a quest to ascend the Wander Franco Mt. Everest of prospectdom.

I'll be curious to see if Delmarva's success this year is an Adley magnet - in a vacuum he could probably handle getting his feet wet in Frederick.

Remember when folks were suggesting Hiura as a possible return in trade talks at the deadline?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Remember when folks were suggesting Hiura as a possible return in trade talks at the deadline?

I probably mentioned him as a stretch goal last summer, though I certainly would have expected to include Givens or Gausman with Schoop to try to reach that ballpark.  Or perhaps more likely Gausman and Givens as I remember the Brewers interest in Schoop after already having Shaw and Moustakas surprising - most of last July I doubt I would have imagined them part of the Schoop market.

Seeing Tatis atop that list and about to graduate reminded me of the "Pick 10 Guys" thread last summer when I think we debated Yelich v. Tatis as the last guy in behind 9 more obvious ones - those two guys are keeping that one interesting.

• Upvote 1

Rutschman in the ESPN booth for a pretty good interview during the Tigers / Royals game. Says he’s ready for the day to day grind of the professional baseball season, and that he’s not concerned about being on what might still be a losing team when/if he makes the majors as he only worries about stuff he can control. 

Seemed really mature and grounded for such a young kid.