Sign in to follow this  
weams

2019 2nd round COMP B pick (71): Kyle Stowers - CF - Stanford (CA)

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

That’s what Elias said.   He said pitchers were on their board for the 42nd and 71st pick but the hitters available were rated higher by them.    

I am sure they’ll select some pitchers today, but I’m on board with drafting the best players they believe they can sign, whether they’re pitchers or hitters.   By the way, I haven’t studied the list of who’s been at extended spring training and available to join Aberdeen and the GCL teams, but our last two drafts were extremely pitcher-heavy so I expect we have some pitchers down there ready to go.    Jake Zebron comes to mind as a guy who did well in the GCL and probably will be at Aberdeen.

It only  makes sense to draft best player available as most of these guys will never make the bi

6 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I wonder if Hyde interacted much with the Cubs development staff last summer, or may have any Cubs-specific Stanford-fix knowledge.

Also it hadn't occurred to me before, but a Stanford pick gives me the thought that Mike Mussina would get along much better with this leadership than past ones - it would be enjoyable to see him closer to the next good team.

I don't think them picking some guy out of Stanford 30 years after he left is going to make any difference to him.  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

A little surprised he got full slot. Happy to have him in the system though.

I'm not. He was not a reach and had some late first round buzz. Fangraphs had him #32 ahead of Gunnar.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

I'm not. He was not a reach and had some late first round buzz. Fangraphs had him #32 ahead of Gunnar.

I definitely look forward to learning more about him.

7 hours ago, LookinUp said:

A little surprised he got full slot. Happy to have him in the system though.

Also, we don't get a replacement pick next year if we failed to sign him.  Reduces the likelihood of going underslot on a guy there.

Also glad to have Stowers signed.  Seemed like a quality pickup where we got him and glad he signed for slot - not unexpected IMO.