weams

2019 3rd round pick (79): Zach Watson - CF - LSU

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

10 games.

I think this is underslot, more of a 6th-8th round guy IMO.

Most places seem to have him in the 100-ish range, but I guess we will see.

Seems to me that picking 3/1 is a decent advantage because you have several hours to make offers and find a guy's number when you have the certainty of who is available. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yep, as well as conversations with potential overslot guys this morning. Leads me to believe that I am likely mistaken and that there won't be much left and Henderson will take most of Adley's underslot money. Or maybe they just love Watson!

It's just nice to know that we have people in charge that are probably thinking all of these things through. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It isn't as if this guy wasn't ranked at all.  Might be a slight underslot.

Right. It's the 79th pick. MLB had him ranked 111, I think BA was at 90. He's probably underslot but it's not like he's a senior sign or something.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It isn't as if this guy wasn't ranked at all.  Might be a slight underslot.

I was going off Luke saying this guy was more of a 6th to 8th round.  That certainly sounds like and underslot to me, though I realize he was ranked 111th, or roughly mid 4th round, on MLB.com.

My guess is that not only will Watson be underslot but they likely think they can improve his swing at least marginally, if not overhaul it entirely.

I think think this pick as a lot to do with saving money for our 2nd rd pick Gunnar Henderson. I think we will probably pick a few more underslot guys today.

5 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

That’s right, but not all schools follow those rules or have them in place. 

Travel ball is the single most contributing factor to arm injuries and injuries in general. Young bodies need a break from the repetitive motion in any particular sport.

yep and many of these kids play on multiple teams too

2 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Do we think it's going to take that much to sign our comp balance rounder that we needed to underslot in the 3rd round?

We will have to see how the $ shakes out - it could be a two prospect draft for us with these college OFers who have decent chances of playing MLB.  Have to see if Henderson is closer to $2M or $3M in signing bonus.

While it may be counter-intuitive, many GMs move in and out of the draft with under-slot and over-slot guys.  It's usually not a bunch of overslots taken initially and then underslots on down the line.  Also, our GM comes from an organization that appeared to prefer college guys.  Austin Hays came out of the third round to be a top 25 propect in all of baseball.  We'll see.

I still expect us to take a reasonable upside HS SP around round 4/5 though it may or may not be a big overslot guy.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

He still has ELITE speed and defense. The guy isn't a scrub for crying out loud! 

I agree.  Far from a scrub.  Legit third round pick.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, TGO said:

My guess is that not only will Watson be underslot but they likely think they can improve his swing at least marginally, if not overhaul it entirely.

This is the second guy taken with an arm bar in his swing.  They must be confident in their fix for that.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This is the second guy taken with an arm bar in his swing.  They must be confident in their fix for that.

If a ML coach can't fix a simple batting mechanic like that, then what are they doing? Elias isn't going to draft dudes based on their mechanics, although it's nice if they have clean mechanics. That's what development is all about. 

• Upvote 2