interloper

Elias J2 International Orioles

29 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

What does this caveat mean?  I only expect the Os to get the same relative value as other team in the talent we sign.  If we do better, great.  If we do worse, then we may need to change things up.

That said, I think there are expectations that we will set a record spend here and perhaps blow by our record spend.  I don't expect any big names - as in top 30, but it would not surprise if there were a late bloomer to the class who was available for big $.  I am expecting a couple of signings (2-4) over $250k at a minimum.  

If ME is raising expectations, then I believe we are talking about maybe a signing or two over $500k and 4+ over $250k.

I'm in this range of expectation. None of the biggest names that are already committed somewhere, but a good percentage compared to other teams. More than our "fair share" so to speak.

Don't forget ME has been involved in international scouting for years. He is familiar with a lot of these players and they probably with him. I think it's a silly idea, like Frobby said, to base anything on a t-shirt. But I'm with Corn, I don't think Elias would do it (and make it his first official tweet) if there weren't pretty big things in store.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Elias was a solid hire.  Anything else we will have to see.

For me, I think Sig is also a solid hire and a solid fit with Elias.

But, as you, I am taking a wait and see on the rest of the hires.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

So, how will you judge this?    As I posted elsewhere (in a lot more detail), in 2017-18 there were 21 players who signed for $1 mm+, 26 who signed for $500-999 k, and 73 who signed for $300-499 k.  And Lord only knows how many below $300 k.   What do you expect to see when July 2 signings are announced?    I’m on record as not expecting anybody in the $500 k+ groups, but hoping for a couple in the $300-499 group, along with a decent number of sub-$300 k guys.   I’d consider that good progress.    Are you expecting more, based on Elias’ statements and the t-shirts?

I should caveat all this by saying that how much they spend on a player or in total may or may not correlate to how well they did in acquiring talent, which we’ll only know then these guys are on the field for a good period of time.   

Rather than go buy money spent I'll go with "expert" analysis of the class.

I was expecting somewhere in the 28-30 range.  I'm now expecting a back end of the middle of the pack result, say 20-25.  I'm not expecting a miracle.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

For me, I think Sig is also a solid hire and a solid fit with Elias.

But, as you, I am taking a wait and see on the rest of the hires.

I view it as Elias hired Sig.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rather than go buy money spent I'll go with "expert" analysis of the class.

I was expecting somewhere in the 28-30 range.  I'm now expecting a back end of the middle of the pack result, say 20-25.  I'm not expecting a miracle.

This seems reasonable, but I was already expecting something close to that before the t-shirts.   Then again, this will be tough to judge.   Does anybody actually rank the international FA classes?   I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a ranking like that. 

On 6/7/2019 at 8:12 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I cant disagree with you, and I thnik Sig is a solid hire, and for the rest, time will tell.

On 6/7/2019 at 8:12 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Yup.

And for those also wondering, I've been following the O's tech postings...and they've had a number of software positions open up immediately after the hiring of Sig. They apparently have a developer that travels with the team in some capacity and/or presents directly to players. That's very encouraging.

46 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Yup.

And for those also wondering, I've been following the O's tech postings...and they've had a number of software positions open up immediately after the hiring of Sig. They apparently have a developer that travels with the team in some capacity and/or presents directly to players. That's very encouraging.

I wonder if they will ever get to the level of the NFL, and tablets in the sidelines, with playback ability and communications with the eye in the booth.

https://twitter.com/masnSteve/status/1139382610839265285

Big thanks to Orioles senior dir of international scouting Koby Perez, who just did the late night interview on Extra Innings on 105.7 FM the Fan. Told us the O's expect to sign 30 or more international amateurs on and after July 2, the majority will be pitchers.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The number isn’t really the important part, as they signed about 45 players in the 2018-2019 J2 period, but spent less than 3M I believe. Koby and Elias will have a better pick of the class this year, not the elite known about for years types, but the next tier of 6 figure guys. 

• Upvote 2

Interesting to see they’re getting a lot of pitchers.    If you look at the breakdown of major leaguers from the DR, Venezuela and other Latin American countries, pitchers are underrepresented.    

• Upvote 1