Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

The Americans

As usual, my wife and I were like 7-8 years late to the party in watching this show.   We just finished off last night - fantastic.   

For those who don’t know, it’s about a couple living in suburban DC with their two kids.    In reality, the couple are a pair of Russian spies who were thrown together by the Russian government, and didn’t know each other before being assigned to move to the US, pose as an American couple and start their own family in order to blend in.   Their spying often entails one or the other seducing people who work in the US Government.   So, the relationship between the couple, and their kids, is fascinating.   It was a great show, suspenseful from the first ten minutes to the very end.   

But then, most of you already watched it and knew that.   

• Upvote 1

One of my favorites. Little disappointed they get away with everything, albeit without their son in tow. 

• Upvote 1

I really like how this show portrayed the 1980's like I remember it, pretty normal.   It didn't use the tired over-the-top, punk rock, ridiculous clothes stereotype that all other shows set in this time frame use.   My only gripe is:  for a show set in DC during the 80's it would have been cool if they showed the town's excitement for the Redskins during their heyday.   I am guessing the show creators couldn't get a deal worked out with the NFL.  They had that ridiculous episode where everyone was excited to watch the '87 World Series between the Twins and Cardinals, but no love for the Skins?  Absurd.  Stan would have been huge fan! 

On 6/7/2019 at 7:04 PM, backwardsk said:

I have it in my top 3 shows of all-time.

Russell and Rhys are a couple in real life.

What are the other two?    I need something new to watch!

Other series I watched after they were already completed: Breaking Bad and Six Feet Under.   Both excellent.    

• Upvote 1

Hasn’t completed yet, but Yellowstone is a good show. Kevin Costner as a ranching baron in present day Montana. 

On 6/14/2019 at 8:35 AM, Frobby said:

Other series I watched after they were already completed: Breaking Bad and Six Feet Under.   Both excellent.    

You've watched Better Call Saul?  It's the Breaking Bad Prequel and Excellent in every way. 

On 6/14/2019 at 8:35 AM, Frobby said:

Breaking Bad and The Wire.  I echo Weams with Better Call Saul.  It’s still going.  I think it’s through three of five seasons.

On 6/16/2019 at 4:43 PM, backwardsk said:

Breaking Bad and The Wire.  I echo Weams with Better Call Saul.  It’s still going.  I think it’s through three of five seasons.

I’ve seen a few episodes and liked them.    We were watching something else concurrently (Barry?   Marvelous Mrs. Maisel?) and decided to focus on the other show first, and haven’t gotten back to it.    But I thought it was good.    

I’ve never seen The Wire.    I have a feeling it may be too dark and violent for my wife to stick with it, just judging from my impression of the show.     

On 6/18/2019 at 4:51 PM, Frobby said:

I’ve never seen The Wire.    I have a feeling it may be too dark and violent for my wife to stick with it, just judging from my impression of the show.     

It's not much worse than Breaking Bad in it's violence.  It just hits home more. No heads on a turtle or beatings to death. Just guns. Lots of guns.  It's a pretty much perfect show. All the flaws and triumphs of humanity are clear and evident.