Sign in to follow this  
weams

Ghiroli: Adam Jones

1 minute ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I completely understand Adam Jones turning down the trades.  As a 10/5 player, he earned that right, and as he was entering FA as a 32 year old, in a market that was already tough on older players, I understand not wanting to uproot his family twice in a short period.  

That being said, the rumors I've heard from people are that he did not willingly move out of CF for Cedric Mullens despite what he claims.  I have a problem with that, and ultimately if that's the case, I completely understand the Orioles not bringing him back.  If true, he didn't show leadership at the time, and doubtful that he would show leadership moving forward.  

It was Philly, his family didn't have to be uprooted for Philly.  I've know folks that had longer daily commutes.  Heck my Lt Col in Germany lived in another country. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I completely understand Adam Jones turning down the trades.  As a 10/5 player, he earned that right, and as he was entering FA as a 32 year old, in a market that was already tough on older players, I understand not wanting to uproot his family twice in a short period.  

That being said, the rumors I've heard from people are that he did not willingly move out of CF for Cedric Mullens despite what he claims.  I have a problem with that, and ultimately if that's the case, I completely understand the Orioles not bringing him back.  If true, he didn't show leadership at the time, and doubtful that he would show leadership moving forward.  

Dont believe half of what you read on the internet, reporters love making things more than they was.

Just look at Manny and SS here.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It was Philly, his family didn't have to be uprooted for Philly.  I've know folks that had longer daily commutes.  Heck my Lt Col in Germany lived in another country. 

I understand that as well, however, I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt in that situation.  

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Philly is not the city of brotherly love, thats for sure, and I know, my opinion, but one shared by others.

For whatever reason, he didnt want to play there.

He earned the right, so be it.

I dont going to flame the guy for it.

Besides it all ancient history and done with.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Philly is not the city of brotherly love, thats for sure, and I know, my opinion, but one shared by others.

For whatever reason, he didnt want to play there.

He earned the right, so be it.

I dont going to flame the guy for it.

Besides it all ancient history and done with.

I'm not flaming him.

I'm fine with him turning down the trade, heck I'm the only person who was saying he'd turn down a trade so he made me look good.  😉

But it is nonsense to make the argument that a couple months playing in Philly would be "uprooting" his family.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not flaming him.

I'm fine with him turning down the trade, heck I'm the only person who was saying he'd turn down a trade so he made me look good.  😉

But it is nonsense to make the argument that a couple months playing in Philly would be "uprooting" his family.

Understood.

He had his reasons, and yeah, the excuse he had, didnt really make sense.

I just wonder if he felt going to the wrong team for the rest of the 2018 season would have hurt his 2019 contract value?

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not flaming him.

That is just looking it through your viewpoint.  He didn't want to be away from his family for two months.  Nobody wants to drive 4 hours each day to get back and forth to work.  He is already on the road for half the time.  And at the end of the day he earned the right to veto a trade and he didn't even have to give a reason. 

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Understood.

He had his reasons, and yeah, the excuse he had, didnt really make sense.

I just wonder if he felt going to the wrong team for the rest of the 2018 season would have hurt his 2019 contract value?

Makes sense to me. If someone told me they wanted me to spend the next two months commuting to Philly and I could refuse. I would refuse.  

2 hours ago, weams said:

She has an upcoming Manny piece as well. 

Did she forget that she’s a Nats reporter now?

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Just because you like a ball player, mean you care what they say.

I totally love Rick Dempsey the player.

Now, Rick Dempsey the baseball analyst. Well, thats a different story. :)

This may be the best post you ever made.    Perfect explanation.   

1) Adam Jones need make no apologies. Dam should be the one apologizing.

2) Here’s hoping Brit will produce a “what went wrong” interview with both Buck and Dan. I’m doubting either will sit for one, but here’s a hope nonetheless.

Just now, Philip said:

2) Here’s hoping Brit will produce a “what went wrong” interview with both Buck and Dan. I’m doubting either will sit for one, but here’s a hope nonetheless.

Did I miss something?  Is someone asking Jones to apologize for something?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

We all know what went wrong.

The fricking blue jays wanted DD, and Peter stop trusting DD to make baseball decisions, making him a lame duck GM.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

We all know what went wrong.

The fricking blue jays wanted DD, and Peter stop trusting DD to make baseball decisions, making him a lame duck GM.

You are leaving out the part where Buck overstepped his role and influenced personnel decisions.

• Upvote 2

Beat me to it, Mike @weams

“Me, personally, I’ve always felt appreciated by the fans who spend their hard-earned money coming to the park, driving to the park, getting that cable subscription. I play the game hard, for myself and my family and for the people who come out to support us. We are entertainers at the end of the day, and I want fans to feel like they are getting their money’s worth. The one thing I can control is my effort, and I think that’s what the fans in Baltimore always appreciated. For 11 years, I gave them all I had. Now I’m trying to do that in Arizona.”

“Will people be mad if he says, ‘I don’t want to go?” Jones said. “[Darren] O’Day said yes because he has a house and family in Atlanta. It was extremely last minute, and it wasn’t right for me. If that’s the reason why people didn’t want to pick me up or think I’m tough to work with or something like that, that’s a crock of shit. … If there’s another reason, I’d love to know. This whole experience this offseason was very humbling. But that’s why I cherish every moment in this game. I’m very grateful the Diamondbacks gave me this opportunity, and I’m trying to run with it.”

Jones laughs at the public notion that he got in the way of a Baltimore rebuild — “what prospect am I going to yield? You’re getting some player to be named later, a bag of fungos and maybe some cash” — or that he simply didn’t want to join a contending club. But even for all the backlash he got, which included the edict by the Orioles to not play Jones after that, the outfielder has no regrets.

“The players around baseball supported me so tough that it made me damn near cry,” he said. “I had guys texting me left and right, ‘Thanks for using your rights.’ [or] ‘You earned that right.’ We are athletes, we are seen as these superstar athletes. But the second we start to act like normal people, we are assholes. Why? I bleed just as you bleed.”

• Upvote 1