Jump to content
orpheus100

Last year's team was better

Recommended Posts

Talent wise, yes.  Results wise, pretty much the same.  Last year, they vastly under performed.  This year, they are what they are.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Might be true but it costs way more. If you are going to lose, lose cheap.

And with no expectations of winning; thus, the small delight when we do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Might be true but it costs way more. If you are going to lose, lose cheap.

Because of Davis, Trumbo, and Cobb, the team is still far from cheap. We're stuck with the Davis spend, but Trumbo will be off the books after this season, and there's still some hope that Cobb will give us some value for the contract through 2021 that we have with him. Regardless that's over $30 million / year wasted even after this season is over. Remarkable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least this year we are cycling new guys in and trying them out and seeing if we have something.   The following players have made their Orioles debut this year:   Jackson, Karns, Straily, Alberto, Martin, Ruiz, Broxton, Ortiz, Phillips, Severino, Smith Jr., Armstrong, Sucre.   A bunch more made their debuts last August and September.   Most of these guys will never amount to anything but it's better playing, and losing, and finding out about these guys than it was playing sub-.300 ball on a team with quality veterans like  Manny Machado, Alex, Cobb, Jon Schoop, Brad Brach, Kevin Gausman, Darren O'Day, and Mark Trumbo.   That was a truly horrific experience for a fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SteveA said:

At least this year we are cycling new guys in and trying them out and seeing if we have something.   The following players have made their Orioles debut this year:   Jackson, Karns, Straily, Alberto, Martin, Ruiz, Broxton, Ortiz, Phillips, Severino, Smith Jr., Armstrong, Sucre.   A bunch more made their debuts last August and September.   Most of these guys will never amount to anything but it's better playing, and losing, and finding out about these guys than it was playing sub-.300 ball on a team with quality veterans like  Manny Machado, Alex, Cobb, Jon Schoop, Brad Brach, Kevin Gausman, Darren O'Day, and Mark Trumbo.   That was a truly horrific experience for a fan.

Let me pour on some more Horrific sauce: Jones, Britton, Davis, Showalter.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SteveA said:

At least this year we are cycling new guys in and trying them out and seeing if we have something.   The following players have made their Orioles debut this year:   Jackson, Karns, Straily, Alberto, Martin, Ruiz, Broxton, Ortiz, Phillips, Severino, Smith Jr., Armstrong, Sucre.   A bunch more made their debuts last August and September.   Most of these guys will never amount to anything but it's better playing, and losing, and finding out about these guys than it was playing sub-.300 ball on a team with quality veterans like  Manny Machado, Alex, Cobb, Jon Schoop, Brad Brach, Kevin Gausman, Darren O'Day, and Mark Trumbo.   That was a truly horrific experience for a fan.

Interesting list. From the guys you mentioned, Severino, Armstrong, maaaaybe Smith(but probably not) could be part of the next good team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For as bad as they’re playing, you would think they would have a clear-cut shot at the #1 pick, but several other teams are doing their best to do their worst. Last year only two teams (BAL and KC) had a winning percentage under .370. This year it’s five teams. 

I guess we need to start Davis more often. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LA2 said:

Because of Davis, Trumbo, and Cobb, the team is still far from cheap. We're stuck with the Davis spend, but Trumbo will be off the books after this season, and there's still some hope that Cobb will give us some value for the contract through 2021 that we have with him. Regardless that's over $30 million / year wasted even after this season is over. Remarkable.

I’m over Davis, Trumbo, and Cobb. I just want to see this team get the most they can in trades for Cashner, Bundy, and Villar. Givens has pitched his trade value to zero. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The team is terrible.  They were always going to be terrible this year, and they'll probably be terrible for another year or 2 after this.  Should not be a surprise to anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year's team had Adam Jones and Manny Machado and Zach Britton and Kevin Gausman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s looking like next year’s team will be as terrible as well. Sure we might see some prospects up finally, but the SP will take a step back if that is even possible. 

We’ll likely be losing Bundy and Cashner to trades. So that leaves a rotation of,

Means

Cobb(haha)

Hess

Ynoa

Akin

I don’t see us rushing any prospects. It might even be a stretch to see Akin on the OD roster.  Lowther, Kremer, Harvey, etc..., could make their debuts, but likely not until mid season 2020. 

Elias is going to have to sign two innings eaters SP just to have some respectability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it’s just about what everyone (myself included) said was needed. Nothing to do but take our medicine for a few years. Just have to pray that we draft the right guys, and have the same upswing as KC (‘14 & ‘15), HOU, and the CUBS...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LA2 said:

Because of Davis, Trumbo, and Cobb, the team is still far from cheap.

We are 24th of 30 teams in payroll.    That’s not “far from cheap.”    Do we wish it could be cheaper?    Sure.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats







×
×
  • Create New...