Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Philip

Santander or Smith?

Recommended Posts

Meoli has an excellent article today and among other things, he mentions Santander’s production.

Should we keep Santander over Smith or send him back down when Smith returns?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Santander has more upside overall. i'd send Smith on a rehab to bide some more time though and see if something opens up. Santander has the same foot speed as Wilkerson and Wilkerson played some CF. Might want to give him some time out there and catapult Broxton.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Meoli has an excellent article today and among other things, he mentions Santander’s production.

Should we keep Santander over Smith or send him back down when Smith returns?

link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Santander has more upside overall. i'd send Smith on a rehab to bide some more time though and see if something opens up. Santander has the same foot speed as Wilkerson and Wilkerson played some CF. Might want to give him some time out there and catapult Broxton.

Santander has the same foot speed at Wilkerson?

Is that the "inital" turn and run, or is that once they get up to speed to close on the balls in the field?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Santander has more upside overall. i'd send Smith on a rehab to bide some more time though and see if something opens up. Santander has the same foot speed as Wilkerson and Wilkerson played some CF. Might want to give him some time out there and catapult Broxton.

Glad to hear this from you. I thought the general impression around here is that he’s below average on defense and not a ML hitter.

It’s clear to me he gets good reads and is very athletic in the OF. I like his approach at the plate, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Philip said:

Meoli has an excellent article today and among other things, he mentions Santander’s production.

Should we keep Santander over Smith or send him back down when Smith returns?

Broxton or Wilkerson should be the one to go. (Well besides Mr. Obvious at 1B.)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m glad Santander has played well since his call-up, but his longer term track record in both the majors and the minors since we acquired him is not that good.   I’d send him back down when we need to.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, all of these guys are fringey anyway. I'd keep the best guy(s) for the clubhouse. Reward effort, attitude and brains. Talent isn't materially different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m glad Santander has played well since his call-up, but his longer term track record in both the majors and the minors since we acquired him is not that good.   I’d send him back down when we need to.    

Me too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Broxton or Wilkerson should be the one to go. (Well besides Mr. Obvious at 1B.)

I agree, but I think Broxton should have gone yesterday instead of Joey. Joey is a mediocre player overall, but  he always has his head in the game, and he hits better than Broxton. But management decided they preferred Broxton, and someone yesterday Offered a valid justification for the choice. I disagree with the trade off, but I understand the logic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better to suffer a little bit defensively than have have fringe major leaguers like Broxton and Wilkerson taking at bats away from the Santanders and DJ Stewarts and even Dwight Smith Jr. 

I'm fine with having those guys (Santander and Stewart) roam center field until Hays or Mullins have earned a call-up.  I'm not sure they will be any worse than Wilkerson. 

Looks like Santander has gained a whole second on his feet per second since last season according to Statcast.  Makes me question the sample size that has gone into that measurement a little bit, but maybe he really has gotten faster. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Philip said:

I agree, but I think Broxton should have gone yesterday instead of Joey. Joey is a mediocre player overall, but  he always has his head in the game, and he hits better than Broxton. But management decided they preferred Broxton, and someone yesterday Offered a valid justification for the choice. I disagree with the trade off, but I understand the logic.

Or Joey makes it and they don't lose anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m glad Santander has played well since his call-up, but his longer term track record in both the majors and the minors since we acquired him is not that good.   I’d send him back down when we need to.    

I think Santander’s long-term story is still being written. I like Smith, But if I had to choose between the two I would prefer Santander. If they value keeping both players, I could see them sending down Santander Just so they can retain Smith, but we already have enough outfielders that that might not be necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smith is leading the team in RBI's even after missing several games with his injury. So like how many RBI's does Santander have? 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Spring Training Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

Minor League Stats







×
×
  • Create New...