Sign in to follow this  
Philip

Santander or Smith?

2 minutes ago, Natty said:

Interesting. I like going with youth on a team in total rebuild mode. But none of those guys have proven they can hit ML pitching. Conversely...Smith leads the team in RBI. 

You are just trolling at this point right?

Well I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Left to right.

Santander until Stewart is healthy, Hays, Diaz and Mountcastle at DH.

You’d do all that right now?

I’m a huge Hays fan, but he’s not playing like he did in 2017 and I want him hitting on all cylinders when he comes up.    I liked what I saw of Diaz in spring training, but he wasn’t even hitting at Bowie until a week ago.   I want those guys to force their way up the way Stewart and Sisco did.   

As to Mountcastle, he’s been pretty steady with the bat all year.    I’d say the decision to bring him up has more to do with (1) whether we want him getting more reps at 1B, and (2) whether we want to start his service clock.    And yes, I know what you think about that subject.    

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are just trolling at this point right?

Well I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.

Not at all. I am a die hard fan. I want us to not be the worst team in baseball. I want to turn this disaster around. Having such a lousy team hurts me. I just want us to be better as soon as possible. 

Just now, Natty said:

Not at all. I am a die hard fan. I want us to not be the worst team in baseball. I want to turn this disaster around. Having such a lousy team hurts me. I just want us to be better as soon as possible. 

You do realize that RBIs are a terrible stat to hang your hat on right?  You know, teammate dependent, not sustainable all that stuff?  You argument would be as compelling if you were talking about who had the best hair on the team.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m a huge Hays fan, but he’s not playing like he did in 2017 and I want him hitting on all cylinders when he comes up.    I liked what I saw of Diaz in spring training, but he wasn’t even hitting at Bowie until a week ago.   I want those guys to force their way up the way Stewart and Sisco did.   

As to Mountcastle, he’s been pretty steady with the bat all year.    I’d say the decision to bring him up has more to do with (1) whether we want him getting more reps at 1B, and (2) whether we want to start his service clock.    And yes, I know what you think about that subject.    

Sure I would.

I've said before that I'm not worried about service clocks and have no issues rushing position players.

I don't see the point in having guys out there that we know are not part of the future if we have replacements at AA and AAA.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Stacking the team with minor leaguers has not worked so far. Batting good in the minors doesn't mean squat facing Major league pitching. We have seen it over and over.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You do realize that RBIs are a terrible stat to hang your hat on right?  You know, teammate dependent, not sustainable all that stuff?  You argument would be as compelling if you were talking about who had the best hair on the team.

Obviously Cashner and Castro have the best haircuts. 😁

1 minute ago, Natty said:

Stacking the team with minor leaguers has not worked so far. Batting good in the minors doesn't mean squat facing Major league pitching. We have seen it over and over.

Right, obviously rushing Markakis, Machado and Schoop was a bad idea.

Show me where rushing a position prospect hurt his career.

Geez, I was obviously talking about position players.  Stop nitpicking.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure I would.

I've said before that I'm not worried about service clocks and have no issues rushing position players.

I don't see the point in having guys out there that we know are not part of the future if we have replacements at AA and AAA.

I'd do it too.  With position players I think the smarter move is locking them up with cheap (compared to later free agency) extensions then worrying about service time. 

Young players can use a wasted season like this one to learn how to hit MLB pitching. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Geez, I was obviously talking about position players.  Stop nitpicking.

That post was in reply to Frobby's post. No need to be so defensive. I think we all want to see the team get out of the basement as soon as possible, it's going to be a long road. But I can help out our powers to be because I am not blinded by pressure like a head coach or manager can get. No one can fire me...  

Just now, Natty said:

That post was in reply to Frobby's post. No need to be so defensive. I think we all want to see the team get out of the basement as soon as possible, it's going to be a long road. But I can help out our powers to be because I am not blinded by pressure like a head coach or manager can get. No one can fire me...  

Was a joke...

Santander or Smith? And the answer is...Both. 

Smith has proven he can hit. Lets put Santander out there instead of Broxton ( he can't hit, and is a below average fielder who makes mental errors.)

Santander or Smith? And the answer is...Both. 

Smith has proven he can hit. Lets put Santander out there instead of Broxton ( he can't hit, and is a below average fielder who makes mental errors.)

He has 317 at bats over three seasons with an OPS+ of 108.  225 of those at bats are this year and his OPS+ is 100.  His major league numbers are superior to his minor league numbers.

How has he proven he can hit?

If you say runs batted in I swear I will downvote you.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is true.  I'm not lobbying for him to get the boot or anything mind you he just doesn't look like a future piece.

I was being facetious, thought that was clear by liking your post 😁

Will say, I don't agree on promoting Hays, Díaz, Mountcastle already. Might as well get as much service time out of them as possible, we can wait on those three while we figure out what we've got in Stewart, Mullins, and Santander. Do agree that Smith we can feel pretty comfortable discarding as a future piece, that is I wouldn't even disagree if you were lobbying for him to get the boot.