Sign in to follow this  
wildbillhiccup

Is the 2019 Season a Blatant Tank Job?

7 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Well said. I admit I am a little surprised as to how many people around here don't seem to understand what's going on. Fortunately, the majority of folks do seem to understand. Personally, I am enjoying this season far more than last season and far more than any of the games in the 14 year streak. At least now, this is all part of a viable plan.

To me, what's happening now should have happened about 15 years ago. I know we've been through a lot since 1998, but what's happening now is exactly what has needed to happen for a long time. We don't even have to worry about PA anymore and the sons at least seem to be different. Elias was just part of the FO for a team that did exactly what we're doing now and has been one of the best teams in baseball for years now which includes a championship. That's exactly where we want to be and that's where we're going.

Perhaps the draft order could be switched so that the team with the best record that missed the playoffs would get the 1:1 pick and go from there. That could create a system where teams try harder to finish higher in the standings which is rewarded with higher draft picks. That way, trying to compete would not be wallowing in mediocrity, but in fact you're spending money to sign players in order to get the higher pick. I am sure there are flaws in that as this is just off the top of my head.

I understand what is going on the owners are trying to pocket as much money as possible.  

Davis's At bats have been cut way back.  That has to be a positive.  I'm sure that when Elias was hired, there was a timeline for Davis to "prove" himself.  That timeline seems to be drawing near.  Buck started Davis for 95%+ of the games he was healthy. 

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

I understand what is going on the owners are trying to pocket as much money as possible.  

And they are raking it in this year!

1 minute ago, osfan83 said:

And they are raking it in this year!

The Astros were the leagues most profitable team during their tanking seasons.

48 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Management spent all winter preparing for the 2023 season in precisely the way they stated they would when they were hired, which you continue to misrepresent as laziness.  If you disagree with the plan, then blame the owners for hiring people who explicitly said this is what was going to happen.  Please stop pretending that you don't understand what's going on.

You've now posted hundreds of times that you think Elias should be fired for doing exactly what he said he would do, and for executing that plan with the full consent of ownership.

Drungo, I've seen you reply to him several times now and...I know it's an itch you gotta scratch, I get it 100%.  But man, he's just not gonna get it.  He's just not.

And I fully recognize it in myself as someone who used to go apoplectic on El Trea.  But it's like trying to beat a brick wall in a game of tennis.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, osfan83 said:

It's not cheating. There is no rule that says you have to field a competitive team. There is no penalty for losing a lot.....Here is how I'm dealing with it....I just don't watch. I'll start again in April 2020, and when they get more than 10 under, I'll stop watching again.

I am guessing because of the Orioles there will be rule changes during the next collective bargaining agreeementt.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Drungo, I've seen you reply to him several times now and...I know it's an itch you gotta scratch, I get it 100%.  But man, he's just not gonna get it.  He's just not.

And I fully recognize it in myself as someone who used to go apoplectic on El Trea.  But it's like trying to beat a brick wall in a game of tennis.

What will your excuse be when they don’t spend their full draft allotments.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Bubble Buddy said:

Seattle might catch us. They started 13-2. And they actually made some moves to try to "rebuild in a different way". 

Bring it. 😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Davis's At bats have been cut way back.  That has to be a positive.  I'm sure that when Elias was hired, there was a timeline for Davis to "prove" himself.  That timeline seems to be drawing near.  Buck started Davis for 95%+ of the games he was healthy. 

Buck didn't play Davis for 95% of the games last year.  He only played in 128 games last year.

Just now, atomic said:

What will your excuse be when they don’t spend their full draft allotments.

Earlier today you admitted that you thought that the moon landing was a hoax.  There's not much I can say to you that'll resonate with you.  I'm convinced that you're not willing to engage in open minded discussions with the rest of the posters here and that you're doing a magnificent, world class troll job.  A tip of the cap to you.

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Sounds like a smart business plan to me. Why wouldn't you want to be the most profitable team in the league? That's why these guys own these teams..... to make money. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Earlier today you admitted that you thought that the moon landing was a hoax.  There's not much I can say to you that'll resonate with you.  I'm convinced that you're not willing to engage in open minded discussions with the rest of the posters here and that you're doing a magnificent, world class troll job.  A tip of the cap to you.

As argumentative as I can be even I gave up months ago.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

They were fortunate not to have long term albatross contracts hanging over their heads.   One year of Carlos Lee, and that’s about all, as I recall.   

• Thanks 1