Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

Eshelman is scheduled to pitch tonight for the Tides

2 hours ago, Sessh said:

Eshelman perfect through 3. Also was looking at Mason Williams. No power, no special ability for OBP, doesn't steal but hits for a decent average. Has had four short stints in MLB with a combined line of .289/.325/.396/.721 in 187 ABs. His longest was with the Reds last year where he slashed .293/.331/.398/.729 in 123 games. Plays OF. Don't know about his arm, but is probably better than Smith defensively.

2 hours ago, Sessh said:

That, too. Very high BABIP during his struggles in 2018 (.356) and early this season in AA (.402) all well above his usual numbers. His xFIP was 4.27 which indicates there was a lot of bad luck involved. LOB% also dipped quite a bit, but those numbers are great again this year at AAA.

Any idea what Elias saw? I would really hope it’s not a case of, “hey I know this guy, I’ll grab him.”

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Any idea what Elias saw? I would really hope it’s not a case of, “hey I know this guy, I’ll grab him.”

It's pretty much a case of better players weren't available for practically free. 

7 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

It's pretty much a case of better players weren't available for practically free. 

Ok that’s what I was hoping. Thanks for chiming in.

As long as I have you on the phone, I can’t imagine that Wotherspoon Is long for this world, who do you think realistically would be next man up?

9 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Aside from Eshelman himself, of course.

Just now, Philip said:

Ok that’s what I was hoping. Thanks for chiming in.

As long as I have you on the phone, I can’t imagine that Wotherspoon Is long for this world, who do you think realistically would be next man up?

Does it matter really? They are just going to cycle through 40 man roster players unless a better option shows up on the waiver wire. Its just about eating innings and getting through the year. They aren't going to promote guys like Akin yet. 

• Upvote 1

Why does his performance tonight not surprise me?  The Orioles have a magnet like attraction for SP who on a good day, might get through the lineup one time before collapsing, and on many days do not make it through the lineup one time.   Adley looks to have a strong arm, so maybe he can pitch

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

Why does his performance tonight not surprise me?  The Orioles have a magnet like attraction for SP who on a good day, might get through the lineup one time before collapsing, and on many days do not make it through the lineup one time.   Adley looks to have a strong arm, so maybe he can pitch

To be fair, Eshelman had pitched at least six innings and allowed three runs or less in six of the last seven starts and had gone at least seven innings in the four of the last five starts prior to tonight. He also walked two or less in all but one of them. Everyone has bad games.

1 hour ago, Sessh said:

To be fair, Eshelman had pitched at least six innings and allowed three runs or less in six of the last seven starts and had gone at least seven innings in the four of the last five starts prior to tonight. He also walked two or less in all but one of them. Everyone has bad games.

The guy was horrible in AAA last year and in 6 starts this year in AA he was terrible.  Seems like bad games are the norm for him.  He should fit right in 

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Does it matter really? They are just going to cycle through 40 man roster players unless a better option shows up on the waiver wire. Its just about eating innings and getting through the year. They aren't going to promote guys like Akin yet. 

Exactly what I keep saying. Poor Brandon Hyde. 😛

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I’m talking about guys not on the 40-man who might be added. Phillips and Wotherspoon and a few others would be no loss if claimed( they probably wouldn’t be) so I’d like to select some other guys and give them a chance 

2 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

The White Sox just DFA’d Despaigne. At least he had been one of the better pitchers in the IL,

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=despai000odr

Not a sexy pick up, but right now we don’t have enough SP to cover games. At least he’s a SP, who was having success this year in AAA. We don’t have better, and there isn’t better available. 

I'm guessing someone mentioned this when he was signed but I missed it, but in college at Cal State Fullerton Eshelman pitched 376.1 innings and walked 18.  Struck out 321 for a K/BB ratio of 17.6:1. I think that's the best K:BB numbers I've ever seen at any level.  He averaged 0.4 walks per nine.  That has to be approaching a theoretical limit - you'd occasionally walk a guy even if you threw all strikes because the ump missed some calls.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm guessing someone mentioned this when he was signed but I missed it, but in college at Cal State Fullerton Eshelman pitched 376.1 innings and walked 18.  Struck out 321 for a K/BB ratio of 17.6:1. I think that's the best K:BB numbers I've ever seen at any level.  He averaged 0.4 walks per nine.  That has to be approaching a theoretical limit - you'd occasionally walk a guy even if you threw all strikes because the ump missed some calls.

I've seen that mentioned when looking for information on him, but didn't mention it here so I'm glad you did. Just watching a few of his starts on GameDay, he pitches right on the corners a lot and was not getting the corners last night at all. Pitch after pitch showed up right on the corners and were called balls, so he got shafted a bit last night if GameDay was accurate. I don't know if he got rattled or not from that, but it went downhill once that started. In 307.1 AAA innings, he's walked 69 guys. Not as good as CSF, but still pretty good.

Not sure what happened to him in 2018 and early 2019. His LOB% dipped below 70% and his BABIP was way higher than his average, so maybe some bad luck there. He was on the brink of the majors after an excellent 2017 and seems to be regaining that form this season at AAA despite the implosion last night. He's been very consistent before that. I'm not expecting a superstar, but he could potentially be a solid/serviceable arm in a rotation. Maybe Saturday against Cleveland will be his debut.