Going Underground

Baltimore Sun article on attendance and winning the fans back

Pretty good article on attendance and the Orioles trying to win the fans back.Disagree on this being an entertaining team. Maybe if this was home run derby or Smith misses the cut off man again. Or Fundamentals are not our thing. I know some of you can't access the Sun website to read the full article. Put in some of the highlights. One thing they did not mention was the bars ans restaurants near  Camden Yards. Heard they are getting really hurt. 

“In my personal opinion, they’re not doing enough to encourage people to come down in the face of a dismal season,” Jim said.

The average announced attendance of 16,758 entering this week’s homestand represents an 18% drop over the same period last year — when the Orioles had the worst record in club history and traded away many of their stars. Their 2018 rank of 27th out of 30 major league teams in attendance has fallen, too, to 28th.

The team, now at 22-56, is intent on rebuilding its talent base in hopes of winning in the future. The Orioles also have the task of rebuilding that depleted fan base — which, the club acknowledges, will take a lot more than just winning.

“We’re not winning a ton of games right now,” first-year executive vice president/general manager Mike Elias said. “That’s obvious. I do think that this is an entertaining team, a gritty team.

As the Orioles’ new baseball operations regime works to develop a talent pipeline that leads to years of competitiveness, the organization is trying to cultivate the same long-term sustainability when it comes to its fans. The Orioles are using increased data analysis not only to help evaluate and develop players, but also to attract and develop a fan base in terms of how they sell tickets and deploy promotions.

Among the most affected by the drop in attendance might be those who work game nights at stands throughout the ballpark.

Multiple workers at concessions stands told The Baltimore Sun that unless the New York Yankees or Boston Red Sox — the visiting teams for seven of Camden Yards’ eight largest announced crowds this season — are in town or it’s a giveaway night, it’s unlikely they’ll do much business. Workers who handle stands to benefit nonprofit groups said they might bring in one-fourth as much on a regular night as they might have when the attendance was higher while the team was contending from 2012 to 2017.

Meanwhile, others who work at the ballpark as a way to bring in secondary income said they sometimes close their stands early because their area does not have enough fans to stay open; that means lost hours and lost pay.

The Maryland Stadium Authority declined an interview request but confirmed it is $1.1 million short of projections for the 2018-19 fiscal year for its gains on its 8% admissions tax on Camden Yards ticket sales.

In its second season, the Kids Cheer Free promotion — which allows an adult to bring two children age 9 or under into the ballpark for free with the purchase of an upper-deck ticket — has been fairly successful on weekends. But the Orioles hope to see a midweek boost this summer.

Through a new analytics department, the Orioles are tracking the effectiveness of deals such as Kids Cheer Free, testing various email subject lines, seeing what times fans arrive for various promotions and deploying other uses for data they hadn’t previously capitalized on.

“Both the baseball side and the business side definitely have a long-term vision,” Bader said.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-attendance-20190618-story.html

Funny that a newspaper is talking about attendance, winning fans back, etc.  I wonder if the author of the article and the editor felt a sense of irony.  

“If we win games, more people are gonna come here,” outfielder Trey Mancini said. “That’s the bottom line. A lot of it’s more on us than the fans.”

• Upvote 1

I think Elias is kidding himself if he thinks this team is entertaining.    Gritty?   Maybe.   But they are getting shellacked on a regular basis.   Not only are they on pace for 44-45 wins, a great number of their games are not competitive.   Last year they lost by 5+ runs 35 times; this year it’s 23 and we aren’t quite halfway through the season yet.    That is not entertaining.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Elias is kidding himself if he thinks this team is entertaining.    Gritty?   Maybe.   But they are getting shellacked on a regular basis.   Not only are they on pace for 44-45 wins, a great number of their games are not competitive.   Last year they lost by 5+ runs 35 times; this year it’s 23 and we aren’t quite halfway through the season yet.    That is not entertaining.    

I think he is spinning for the 'machine.'   GMs talk this way all the time.   Makes me a little sad when they do it......in general I find Elias to be more honest and open/transparent than previous regimes.

But yea of course he wants people to buy tickets for 2019.  So why would someone pay to come see the worst team in baseball night after night?    Um.......let's say they're entertaining......that works!   In the sense that games of baseball can always be entertaining.

• Upvote 1

The Orioles are a terrible, unexciting team. Throw in that fans know the team is punting on the next few seasons, the bad will Peter Angelos created and that baseball has become boring, and it's no surprise attendance is where it's at.

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

I think he is spinning for the 'machine.'   GMs talk this way all the time.   Makes me a little sad when they do it......in general I find Elias to be more honest and open/transparent than previous regimes.

But yea of course he wants people to buy tickets for 2019.  So why would someone pay to come see the worst team in baseball night after night?    Um.......let's say they're entertaining......that works!   In the sense that games of baseball can always be entertaining.

If you drink enough beer and you have friends around and aren't paying attention to the game it can be entertaining.  But you could do that at Pickles and not attend the game. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Funny that a newspaper is talking about attendance, winning fans back, etc.  I wonder if the author of the article and the editor felt a sense of irony.  

I have a subscription to the Sun.  It is still worthy of paying for. I am not sure why people have decided to stop reading.  I doubt the Sun will ever get back to what it once was.  

“It even drives television. People who are watching think to themselves, 'Why am I watching this if no one's even going to the ballpark?' 

56 minutes ago, TheThinkingOriole said:

The Orioles are a terrible, unexciting team. Throw in that fans know the team is punting on the next few seasons, the bad will Peter Angelos created and that baseball has become boring, and it's no surprise attendance is where it's at.

This is spot on.  The product on the field is absolutely awful.  The fact that we have any fans that attend games is something of a miracle.  But it was less than 5 years ago that Camden Yards sounded like an airport runway during the Delmon Double.  So I think we can get back to where we were.  But people have to have hope, and right now going to the game to watch your favorite team get destroyed every night regardless of the opponent is just a bad investment of time and money.  Not only does it happen almost every night, but you KNOW it is going to happen beforehand. What are they, 9-29 at home?  That isn't just awful....that is historically awful.

I don't expect these guys to be better than any other teams out there, but winning 1 out of every 3 games should not be too high of a bar.  And given how the fundamentals of baseball are no different at the high school level than at the major league level, these guys should not be making the kind of dumb mental mistakes they are making. 

• Upvote 1

They should consider suspending season ticket sales until 2022, with all current season ticket holders maintaining the option to buy their season tickets then.

Until 2022, make all seats general admission and charge $7. 

In 2022, revert to the current system.

8 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

This is spot on.  The product on the field is absolutely awful.  The fact that we have any fans that attend games is something of a miracle.  But it was less than 5 years ago that Camden Yards sounded like an airport runway during the Delmon Double.  So I think we can get back to where we were.  But people have to have hope, and right now going to the game to watch your favorite team get destroyed every night regardless of the opponent is just a bad investment of time and money.  Not only does it happen almost every night, but you KNOW it is going to happen beforehand. What are they, 9-29 at home?  That isn't just awful....that is historically awful.

I don't expect these guys to be better than any other teams out there, but winning 1 out of every 3 games should not be too high of a bar.  And given how the fundamentals of baseball are no different at the high school level than at the major league level, these guys should not be making the kind of dumb mental mistakes they are making. 

Least amount of wins at home in a season in the AL is 18.That was done by the Browns in a 154 game season. Not sure what the record is for a 162 game season .NL is 22 games won by the Mets in a 162 game season but only played 160. Last year, Orioles got close to least amount of wins on the road in the AL in  a 162 game season. 

23 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Least amount of wins at home in a season in the AL is 18.That was done by the Browns in a 154 game season. Not sure what the record is for a 162 game season .NL is 22 games won by the Mets in a 162 game season but only played 160. Last year, Orioles got close to least amount of wins on the road in the AL in  a 162 game season. 

The 2003 Tigers went 23-58 at home (to go with 20-61 on the road).  Hard to imagine a team doing worse than that in 81 home games.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/2003-schedule-scores.shtml

• Upvote 1