orpheus100

This may be the worst team of all time

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

I don't think that Joe Flacco is great. I don't even think that Joe Flacco is really good. 

I have no idea where that came from, or why you would presume that I thought that.

o

Moderator edit: This is not how we act here. Last warning.

• Downvote 5

1 hour ago, TheThinkingOriole said:

No, my problem is with people trying to act like 1989 showed the team was great when the preceding years, particularly 87 through 88 and then 90 and 91 showed the team stunk. You probably think Joe Flacco was great after the Super Bowl because of his 2014 season when the team didn't do jack in 2013 or from 2015 through 2018.

Your years are a bit off.

But the Ravens were one dropped (or stripped) pass away from the Super Bowl the year before they won it.  Making the AFCCG and losing in the final seconds isn't exactly not doing jack.

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Your years are a bit off.

But the Ravens were one dropped (or stripped) pass away from the Super Bowl the year before they won it.  Making the AFCCG and losing in the final seconds isn't exactly not doing jack.

I was talking about the post Super Bowls. Flacco was a good QB from 2009 through 2012.

If the O's trade Bundy and Cashner and Cobb has another injury-ridden season, next year's team might be the worst ever. Can they do something like just forfeit the season or forfeit after a few innings of any game not started by Means?

14 hours ago, LA2 said:

If the O's trade Bundy and Cashner and Cobb has another injury-ridden season, next year's team might be the worst ever. Can they do something like just forfeit the season or forfeit after a few innings of any game not started by Means?

Only if Elias wants to get banned from baseball for life. It's going to more of the ugly baseball next year.

Maybe 2020 can be Chris Davis' time to shine. Pitching depth could even be more of an issue than the past couple seasons. Send him down to Sarasota with the goal of being on the pitching staff next year and not just mop up duty in a 16-2 blowout. /sOrT oF sErIoUs

o

Melewski weighs in on possibilities for the Orioles' 2nd half of the seasons (with the presumption that none of the 3 starting pitchers of the topic gets traded prior top the July 31st deadline.)

The Orioles are 11-6 in games in which Andrew Cashner has started, 6-8 in games in which John Means has started, and 5-12 in games in which Dylan Bundy has started. So they are 22-26 (a .458 winning percentage) in said games ........ on the other hand, when somebody besides one of those 3 pitchers has started the game, the Orioles are 5-36 (an .122 winning percentage.)

Even a modest improvement over their current .303 winning percentage over their final 73 games would put a bit of separation between them and some of the all-time worst teams. If they went 27-46 in the 2nd half (a .370 winning percentage), they would finish at 54-108 overall, or half a game worse than the 1988 Orioles (54-107 with one rain-out.)

Can the Top-3 Starters Carry the O's to a Much Better Second Half?

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/07/can-top-three-starters-carry-os-to-a-much-better-second-half.html

o

As of this morning the Orioles are 29-66, so they need to go at least 10-57 (.175) the rest of the way to avoid being the worst team since 1900.  They need at least 12-55 (.179) to pass the '62 Mets.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

It will be embarrassing for the Tigers or Royals if they end up with a worse record than the worst team of all time. 

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2019 at 3:18 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Melewski weighs in on possibilities for the Orioles' 2nd half of the seasons (with the presumption that none of the 3 starting pitchers of the topic gets traded prior top the July 31st deadline.)

The Orioles are 11-6 in games in which Andrew Cashner has started, 6-8 in games in which John Means has started, and 5-12 in games in which Dylan Bundy has started. So they are 22-26 (a .458 winning percentage) in said games ........ on the other hand, when somebody besides one of those 3 pitchers has started the game, the Orioles are 5-36 (an .122 winning percentage.)

Even a modest improvement over their current .303 winning percentage over their final 73 games would put a bit of separation between them and some of the all-time worst teams. If they went 27-46 in the 2nd half (a .370 winning percentage), they would finish at 54-108 overall, or half a game worse than the 1988 Orioles (54-107 with one rain-out.)

Can the Top-3 Starters Carry the O's to a Much Better Second Half?

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/07/can-top-three-starters-carry-os-to-a-much-better-second-half.html

o

Add Brault and Davies and I am not saying you have a good team, but you have something.

3 hours ago, makoman said:

It will be embarrassing for the Tigers or Royals if they end up with a worse record than the worst team of all time. 

Perhaps, but I dare say they (well, at least in all likelihood management, although given some of the players’ performances, you wonder if they’re in on it too) would be pleased as punch if it netted them 1:1.

The heck with it – I’ll go on record right now and predict we won’t “win” the 1st pick for the ’20 draft. Not exactly going out on a limb, but our “competition” is just atrocious.

nTS1QZD.png

Just threw this together for the rankings of the teams that don't yet have 40 wins.

It would appear to me that Baltimore is worse than Detroit (worse than everyone else too).

Of note here is Toronto's bullpen turning a corner, looking like they aren't going to be bad much longer.

48 minutes ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

Perhaps, but I dare say they (well, at least in all likelihood management, although given some of the players’ performances, you wonder if they’re in on it too) would be pleased as punch if it netted them 1:1.

The heck with it – I’ll go on record right now and predict we won’t “win” the 1st pick for the ’20 draft. Not exactly going out on a limb, but our “competition” is just atrocious.

The only one we have a chance of catching is the Tigers.  However, every time someone has said something like this in the last 2 years the Orioles have quickly proven them wrong.  Looking at next years draft I don't think #1 and #2 make that much difference.  However, if we trade Givens I think we quickly become that much more  terrible.  Hyde has had to pitch him multiple innings to get us wins.  Castro I guess become are closer then.  

31 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

nTS1QZD.png

Just threw this together for the rankings of the teams that don't yet have 40 wins.

It would appear to me that Baltimore is worse than Detroit (worse than everyone else too).

Of note here is Toronto's bullpen turning a corner, looking like they aren't going to be bad much longer.

The Tigers have Shane Greene to prop up their bullpen.  But if he is traded they will probably sink to the Orioles level. 

16 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

When the O's recall Dan Straily and the Tigers recall Mike Mahtook, you'll know it's on.

image.jpg