orpheus100

This may be the worst team of all time

40 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

[Camden_yardbird's very long post...]

As for the answer?  That's a much longer post.

Oh boy. :) 

57 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lolllzzz outside of Judge and Severino?  Pretty good start that any club would be happy with.  Gary Sanchez, much?  Betances? 4x All-Star.  Jury is still out on Miguel Andujar, but he was ROY runner up last year.  Torres was #3.  

Judge was #2 MVP in 2017.  Severino was #3 CYA

Judge was #1 ROY in 2017

Sanchez was #2 ROY in 2016.

So over the past three years the Yankees have had at least one candidate in the top 3 ROY voting.  I am not sure why you're moving the goalposts on Judge and Severino.  And Torres.  I mean, do Adam Jones and Chris Tillman not count for us because they came from the Mariners?   Even so, Sanchez and Andjuar are good young players any team would love to have.  Same with Betances.  The Yankees are doing just fine in acquiring talent no matter how they do it.  

i forgot about Sanchez and Betances, but Andujar is a very flawed player.That's why the were desperately trying to trade him in the offseason. The point that I was really trying to make though was that the players they mentioned in the article were more of a product of their environment. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm convinced there's some magic in the pinstripes.  It's gotta be cool to put on an MLB uniform no matter what team it is, but it's gotta be extra special to put on the pinstripes.  Maybe the most important, historical team in all of sports.  The pinstripes turn a guy like Luke Voit from a nobody to a masher.  Gio Urshela is a .300 hitter with an .800 OPS.  Cameron Maybin is hitting .300 with an .891 OPS.  

Doesn't work all the time, Kendrys Morales was just DFA'd.  But the pinstripes seem to work more often than not.

I am completely convinced.  And this has been going on for awhile.  Paul O'Neill was a good hitter in Cincinnati....he became a .300 hitter for New York.  Scott Brosius was a decent player in Oakland....he became impossible to get out in big situations throughout his Yankee career.  Tino Martinez was a good hitter in Seattle.  He became a super clutch player for the Yankees.  Aaron Small was ridiculous.  So was Shawn Chacon.  Luke Voit is laughable....dude would be terrible if he was on any other team.  Same with Urshela.  Gregorius.....was he anything in Arizona?  I don't remember. 

I don't think failure or giving anything less than your absolute best is acceptable in New York.  They have high expectations and you better deliver, and so I think they get players "A game" much more often than not.  Whereas in Baltimore, especially last season, I think we got a lot less than their A games from our players and I think it was too accepted. 

I am not surprised they have little MLB talent playing for Baltimore this year.  They jettisoned nearly all of their good to middling players last year and are left with the leftovers, but for a very few legit MLB ers.  And that was done with the knowledge that few if any, minor leagures in their system were ready for the bigs.  You reap what you sow.  

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Oh boy. :) 

A lot of people like to say things and not provide warrants or analysis for what they say.

I try to do both when I can, especially if I am calling out a post as I was.

• Upvote 1

yqwhcgpbm4731.jpg

I pulled down this data showing Quality Starts in the league, and the difference getting pulled in the sixth inning makes vs. going the full six innings. 

Means and Bundy are among the tops in the league in just missing their Quality Starts. Perhaps Hyde will let them go longer as the season progresses.

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I honestly don't think Urshela or Voit are better than league average offensive players. Put them in a normal stadium for half their games and I don't think we'd be talking about them. And German's era has ballooned to 4.00 since this article was written. Outside of Judge and Severino what all-star type players have the Yankees actually developed over the last 10 years? Torres and Gregorious both spent the bulk of their minor league careers with other teams and I'm not sure either one of them is an all-star. 

Volt has a better WAR then Mancini with more RBI'S and a better .OBP..Urshela is batting .303.  Volt has 11 homers on the road and 6 at home.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Volt has a better WAR then Mancini with more RBI'S and a better .OBP..Urshela is batting .303.  Volt has 11 homers on the road and 6 at home.

I think Mancini is just an average player too and is hitting 28 hrs really that big of a deal in the juiced ball / launch angle era? I'm also not convinced he's anything more than a .250 hitter. I will give Urshela credit for his defense thought. It is exceptional. 

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

yqwhcgpbm4731.jpg

I pulled down this data showing Quality Starts in the league, and the difference getting pulled in the sixth inning makes vs. going the full six innings. 

Means and Bundy are among the tops in the league in just missing their Quality Starts. Perhaps Hyde will let them go longer as the season progresses.

...but aren't they getting pulled early because they aren't efficient with their pitches? There's also the issue of mediocre pitchers getting exposed the the third time through the order. I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that I think it goes much deeper than Hyde just having a short leash. 

2 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

I am not surprised they have little MLB talent playing for Baltimore this year.  They jettisoned nearly all of their good to middling players last year and are left with the leftovers, but for a very few legit MLB ers.  And that was done with the knowledge that few if any, minor leagures in their system were ready for the bigs.  You reap what you sow.  

So should we have held onto those players, let their contracts expire, and have gotten nothing? 

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think Mancini is just an average player too and is hitting 28 hrs really that big of a deal in the juiced ball / launch angle era? I'm also not convinced he's anything more than a .250 hitter. I will give Urshela credit for his defense thought. It is exceptional. 

I agree with most of this .The Yankees got two average  to a little  above average players for basically nothing.Mancini also plays in a hitters ballpark. Some people think they will get a big haul for Mancini but dont see how.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...but aren't they getting pulled early because they aren't efficient with their pitches? There's also the issue of mediocre pitchers getting exposed the the third time through the order. I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that I think it goes much deeper than Hyde just having a short leash. 

1. Bundy's only hit 100 pitches once this year in 16 starts, so no. You are right about John Means though. He's hit 100 pitches more than a few times.

2. It's hard to pitch 5IP with 3ER or fewer and say "they got exposed". If they were getting exposed they'd be getting knocked around, and you can't be on this list if you're getting knocked around.

45 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

1. Bundy's only hit 100 pitches once this year in 16 starts, so no. You are right about John Means though. He's hit 100 pitches more than a few times.

2. It's hard to pitch 5IP with 3ER or fewer and say "they got exposed". If they were getting exposed they'd be getting knocked around, and you can't be on this list if you're getting knocked around.

Perhaps if you let them pitch longer they'd be on the list of pitching into the sixth or seventh and allowing 4 or 5 runs.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Perhaps if you let them pitch longer they'd be on the list of pitching into the sixth or seventh and allowing 4 or 5 runs.

But... that’s completely theoretical.

The thread title asks whether the current Orioles are the worst team of all time.  Although most of the thread has been devoted to the modern era, there have been a couple of posts that mentioned the 1899 Cleveland Spiders.

How bad were the Spiders?  They finished with a record of 20-134.

If the Orioles lose every game they play for the rest of this season and finish with a record of 22-140, their winning percentage of .131 will still be better than the 1899 Spiders' .130.