Jump to content
sportsfan8703

2019 Trade Deadline

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Not that I have any attachment to Giambrone or the perpetually hurt De La Cruz, but where would Villar play? The Cubs have Baez,Russell,Descalso,Bote and the newly promoted Robel Garcia who can all play a combination of 2b or SS. That also doesn't account for either Happ or Zobrist who is rumored to be coming back in August or September. If the Cubs need a bat a CFer would be great so Almora's no hitting ass can go somewhere else and Heyward can stick to RF where he's still good defensively.

The Cubs are 27th in average out of second base and 23rd in ops at the position.  They haven’t gotten any production out of the position.  They also have very little speed on that team and have been looking for some speed on the team.  They are 28th in steals as well.  Villar would be a guy Madden would love getting starts at 2nd and a base stealing threat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Not that I have any attachment to Giambrone or the perpetually hurt De La Cruz, but where would Villar play? The Cubs have Baez,Russell,Descalso,Bote and the newly promoted Robel Garcia who can all play a combination of 2b or SS. That also doesn't account for either Happ or Zobrist who is rumored to be coming back in August or September. If the Cubs need a bat a CFer would be great so Almora's no hitting ass can go somewhere else and Heyward can stick to RF where he's still good defensively.

Happ is hitting just over .200 in AAA and doesn’t seem to be in their plans and some thing he would be a guy they would move at the trade deadline as others like Bote and Roebel have passed him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

The Cubs are 27th in average out of second base and 23rd in ops at the position.  They haven’t gotten any production out of the position.  They also have very little speed on that team and have been looking for some speed on the team.  They are 28th in steals as well.  Villar would be a guy Madden would love getting starts at 2nd and a base stealing threat.  

Addison Russel just made a horrendous error throwing to first on a routine grounder. Villar has looked quite adept with the glove as of late. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

The question is whether he was off limits or off limits as a piece in the desired package. DD went for quantity in all of the trades. It’s hard for me to believe that Lux and Pop for Manny wouldn’t have worked.

I think he was probably off limits in a trade for a rental.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cashner is making himself the best trade piece on the team.  Would the team option for 2020 carry over to the new team or automatically kick in?  I forgot.  Either way, at a salary of $9 mil he is having a helluva bargain season and he's only on the hook for $10 mil the following year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Cashner is making himself the best trade piece on the team.  Would the team option for 2020 carry over to the new team or automatically kick in?  I forgot.  Either way, at a salary of $9 mil he is having a helluva bargain season and he's only on the hook for $10 mil the following year.

With bonuses Cashner is making closer to 11-12M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree Cashner should have some decent trade value - he is on pace for a 4+ WAR year, a bargain at $11M-$12M.  And Cashner would not just be a rental if he continues to pitch well.  I wouldn't expect any top 100 guys for Cashner, but an organizational top 5 prospect and a second top 10 would seem reasonable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoosiers said:

Agree Cashner should have some decent trade value - he is on pace for a 4+ WAR year, a bargain at $11M-$12M.  And Cashner would not just be a rental if he continues to pitch well.  I wouldn't expect any top 100 guys for Cashner, but an organizational top 5 prospect and a second top 10 would seem reasonable.

But the money in Cashner's contract is backloaded.  

Signing Bonus - 3m yet to be paid. While is to be paid half in Jan 2020 and and half in Jan 2021.

Salary - 2.7m remaining as on July 31st.

Performance bonuses:  - Cashner is on pace for 30 starts and 167 IP.  If he keeps that pace he will earn 2.9m in performance bonuses.

That totals 8.6m that the O's have yet to pay Cashner.  

So the O's still have to eat some money to get decent prospects for Cashner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, bpilktree said:

With what I said in previous post here is a few predictions of type of trades I could see.

Cashner to Arizona for Taylor Clark and another prospect around the 30-50 range.   

Villar to Cubs for Oscar DeLa Cruz and Trent Giambrone.

Givens to Pirates for O’Neil Cruz and Max Kranick 

 

If I'm trading Villar it's not going to be for a teams 20ish rated prospects. Especially the Cubs whose top 20 is littered with guys who are performing poorly. I'd say their system is currently pretty weak. Villar will be a valuable piece. If I couldn't get Hoerner then I'd expect Roederer and Abbott.

Arizona is another very weak system.....Cashner would have to net me Perdomo and Alek Thomas. I probably look or a team with more to offer.

i think you have to account  for the strength of the farm systems in these deals. Players ranked in the late teens or low twenties for the Cubs and D-backs are likely not even prospects 

As for Givens you are really selling low at this point. I'd hang on to him and hope for better next season.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roll Tide said:

If I'm trading Villar it's not going to be for a team 20ish rated prospects. Especially the Cubs whose top 20 is littered with guys who are performing poorly. I'd say their system is currently pretty weak. Villar will be a valuable piece. If I couldn't get Hoerner then I'd expect Roederer and Abbott.

Arizona is another very weak system.....Cashner would have to net me Perdomo and Alek Thomas. I probably look or a team with more to offer.

i think you have to account  for the strength of the farm systems in these deals. Players ranked in the late teens or low twenties for the Cubs and D-backs are likely not even prospects 

As for Givens you are really selling low at this point. I'd hang on to Jim and hope for better next season.

 

 

If the choice is between trading Villar for less than you think he is worth and keeping him you keep him?  Do you tender him a contract?  Try and trade him in the offseason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phillies looking like an ideal suitor for Cashner. Would have close to the best ERA and would be the best WHIP despite pitching in the AL. now with Arrieta injured it makes a ton of sense. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the choice is between trading Villar for less than you think he is worth and keeping him you keep him?  Do you tender him a contract?  Try and trade him in the offseason?

I’m going to offer him a contract. He’s a solid MLB player. And yes I’d look to trade him in the off-season or next season. It makes no sense to give him away. 

Also id be open to a reasonable 2-3 years extension. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...