Jump to content
Roll Tide

Chirs Davis per Mike Elias

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, 24fps said:

If he doesn’t accept a buyout he can fly away in a personal jet and still have plenty left over, secure in the knowledge that baseball fans everywhere will have forgotten him by the time he lands. 

I don't know about that, Orioles fans still talk about Glen Davis and what a bust he was for the Orioles. Also Albert Belle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2019 at 7:36 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Thankfully for everyone else I have some Polkadot Stingray to listen to.

BAND NAME!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Oh wait...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I think I’d try to bench him the next time he slumps. I think he could be pressured into a buyout.

Look Chris, we are going to lose. I’m benching you indefinitely. I’ll play with 25! You are going to rot on the bench or we can agree to a buyout that secures your unconditional release???

Chris Davis makes $141,000 plus per game whether he rots on the bench or not.  I suspect his response to such an approach would be the the sort of bemused stare uncles reserve for their less-gifted nieces and nephews.  "Do your worst Brandon, I'm already historically bad and the only people who still care work for the Orioles or waste their lives on the internet"

I think the notion that CD is susceptible to being shamed into retirement is fundamentally baseless unless you're his psychiatrist or his priest and have that kind of perspective.  The Orioles will cut him when they need the roster spot and fans will forget him fifteen minutes later and everybody especially Chris Davis understands that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

I don't know about that, Orioles fans still talk about Glen Davis and what a bust he was for the Orioles. Also Albert Belle. 

belle had an ops .882 during his 2 years in baltimore

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Chris Davis makes $141,000 plus per game whether he rots on the bench or not.  I suspect his response to such an approach would be the the sort of bemused stare uncles reserve for their less-gifted nieces and nephews.  "Do your worst Brandon, I'm already historically bad and the only people who still care work for the Orioles or waste their lives on the internet"

I think the notion that CD is susceptible to being shamed into retirement is fundamentally baseless unless you're his psychiatrist or his priest and have that kind of perspective.  The Orioles will cut him when they need the roster spot and fans will forget him fifteen minutes later and everybody especially Chris Davis understands that.  

I think Davis is a proud guy! I think my approach would wear on him. If your competitive sitting on the bench sucks. I've been through it as I aged ....although not at the MLB level. I think he'd eventually take 60-70 cents on the  dollar just to go home. Regardless of whT you think of him...I think he's a proud guy! For the next 2-3 years the Os could sit him and it really wouldn't matter to them as we will suck anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, catjuggler said:

belle had an ops .882 during his 2 years in baltimore

The Orioles signed Belle for 5 years for what would be S100 million today. He had to stop playing after 2 years, and retire due to injury, but the Orioles had to keep him on the Major League  roster for 5 years in order to be reimbursed by insurance for a part of the millions they were paying him.

The acquisition of Belle is generally considered one of the worst moves for the Orioles. Yes he played well but for a very limited time for the Orioles, then the contract and him on the roster weighed the team down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2019 at 7:36 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Thankfully for everyone else I have some Polkadot Stingray to listen to.

Polkadot Cadaver is more local

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, catjuggler said:

belle had an ops .882 during his 2 years in baltimore

Yes, but that was in two very high-scoring years, so that was just a 127 OPS+.  And he was a -23 fielder for the Orioles, so he was worth just 2.0 wins a season during his time here.  Even in '99 he was only the 5th-best player on a 78-win team.

He was kind of a really anti-social 2019 Trey Mancini, making almost double the salary of anyone else on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I think Davis is a proud guy! I think my approach would wear on him. If your competitive sitting on the bench sucks. I've been through it as I aged ....although not at the MLB level. I think he'd eventually take 60-70 cents on the  dollar just to go home. Regardless of whT you think of him...I think he's a proud guy! For the next 2-3 years the Os could sit him and it really wouldn't matter to them as we will suck anyway.

Your approach would quickly and permanently change the headline from Chris Davis: Shadow of His Former Self to Baltimore Orioles: Oppressive A**hole Weasel Franchise and accelerate Davis’ transition to full-on underdog status.  This has already begun. The story is no longer “crippling contract” and “historically bad”is getting stale too.

This is one of those rare moments where the choice actually is black or white. If the O’s don’t release him - which would be my recommendation - then they have no choice but to fully and publicly support his rehabilitation.  It looks like Mike Elias gets this.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 24fps said:

Your approach would quickly and permanently change the headline from Chris Davis: Shadow of His Former Self to Baltimore Orioles: Oppressive A**hole Weasel Franchise and accelerate Davis’ transition to full-on underdog status.  This has already begun. The story is no longer “crippling contract” and “historically bad”is getting stale too.

This is one of those rare moments where the choice actually is black or white. If the O’s don’t release him - which would be my recommendation - then they have no choice but to fully and publicly support his rehabilitation.  It looks like Mike Elias gets this.  

 

Yea. All of the posters suggesting we somehow shame him into retirement don’t seem to be thinking of how that could actually damage the franchise and it’s rep with players far beyond the end of his contract. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 24fps said:

Your approach would quickly and permanently change the headline from Chris Davis: Shadow of His Former Self to Baltimore Orioles: Oppressive A**hole Weasel Franchise and accelerate Davis’ transition to full-on underdog status.  This has already begun. The story is no longer “crippling contract” and “historically bad”is getting stale too.

This is one of those rare moments where the choice actually is black or white. If the O’s don’t release him - which would be my recommendation - then they have no choice but to fully and publicly support his rehabilitation.  It looks like Mike Elias gets this.  

 

There is no rehab for lost bat speed. Whatever Davis was going to do for the Orioles he’s done it. 

He knows he’s stealing the money and the Orioles aren’t even getting a dime on the dollar. 

If it weren’t for the contract he’d be in the minors, playing in Mexico or Japan, or out of baseball altogether. 

The Orioles are stuck with Davis until they can either reach a point where they can stomach the swallowing whatever portion of the contract that is left when they do it or make him a bench coach until he decides to get out. Even on the roster the team is under no obligation to pay him.

Sitting him would be a business decision made by the team for a player except in very short spurts isn’t helping the team. The Os can use the at bats to evaluate guys at AAA that aren’t currently viewed as the long term pieces. DJ Stewart comes to mind when he’s ready to return

Finally. The Orioles wouldn’t be buttholes for making a business decision on a player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Yea. All of the posters suggesting we somehow shame him into retirement don’t seem to be thinking of how that could actually damage the franchise and it’s rep with players far beyond the end of his contract. 

The majority of MLB players know Davis has little to nothing left. It would be a business decision. As I said, you don’t come out and publicly announce it or embarrass him. 

You tell him in private that his new role is as a player-coach until the term is fulfilled. Then you have him on the bench until his contract runs out. Jesus, the Orioles aren’t obligated to play him! He sucks, and they shouldn’t  just DFA him and let him leave and collect 60-70 million or whatever is left.

Just let him sit so you can player a better player (Mancini), or bring up a guy (Mountcastle) that you want to evaluate. Since he can’t be traded because he has no value. He would gave two options

1) Take a buy out and retire

or

2) Have a front row seat to watch baseball for the next 3 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

The Orioles signed Belle for 5 years for what would be S100 million today. He had to stop playing after 2 years, and retire due to injury, but the Orioles had to keep him on the Major League  roster for 5 years in order to be reimbursed by insurance for a part of the millions they were paying him.

The acquisition of Belle is generally considered one of the worst moves for the Orioles. Yes he played well but for a very limited time for the Orioles, then the contract and him on the roster weighed the team down. 

Sorry to continue the slight derail, but Belle was a good signing that did not work out due to injury.  AB murdered pitching and Pete signed him b/c he was headed to the Yankees.  We had just lost Palmeiro and Mussina was in his last year--and I'm sure everyone thought Moose was re-upping.  Good decision (at the very least, def not a bad decision), unfortunate and unforeseen outcome.

If Pete couldn't tell the difference between bad luck and a bad decision--as the narrivate goes--and then hid his money under a mattress until Tejada, well... yeah.

SIgning Belle was a line out to center: the hitter did his job, just tough luck.  Keep hitting it there!

We still had players on that team.

I did forget we kept Belle on the 40-man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Catch 8 said:

Sorry to continue the slight derail, but Belle was a good signing that did not work out due to injury.  AB murdered pitching and Pete signed him b/c he was headed to the Yankees.  We had just lost Palmeiro and Mussina was in his last year--and I'm sure everyone thought Moose was re-upping.  Good decision (at the very least, def not a bad decision), unfortunate and unforeseen outcome.

If Pete couldn't tell the difference between bad luck and a bad decision--as the narrivate goes--and then hid his money under a mattress until Tejada, well... yeah.

SIgning Belle was a line out to center: the hitter did his job, just tough luck.  Keep hitting it there!

We still had players on that team.

I did forget we kept Belle on the 40-man.

You could argue Davis didn’t work out either due to a medical reason. He stopped using Adderall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 61 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...