MurphDogg

Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

You have nothing on which to base your bet, but I would imagine that if you went to a Spanish-speaking country you would probably make a huge effort to learn Spanish, and only then would the comparison be worthwhile anyway.

I have attended the DLIFLC and have lived abroad in a non-English speaking country so maybe I do have something on which to base my bet.

For the record they are currently not in an English speaking country.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Reactionary move after we won today and are only 1 ahead of Detroit in the W column for the worst pick. It would’ve been reckless to to let Cashner start another game, especially with Means pitching tonight. Haha. 

Seriously though, we got a 17 y o CF and 3B/SS.  Both are putting up good numbers in a pitcher's league in the DSL.  I suspect both of these guys are on the GCL next year, and would guesstimate they fall somewhere between #25-#40 in our organizational rankings.  

I'd much rather see a return like this than what they got for Matusz.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes, absolutely. A lot of us may complain, but I think everybody is basically on board with Mike at this time. Let’s just see what Givens brings back.

If he keeps pitching well, we will definitely get a piece in return...adding talent is a slow, piece by piece process and it remains unpredictable in many ways..

I think all of the people making prudent decisions these days have taken some of the fun out of deadline deals. It’s rare that a team takes a big risk and goes all in, even rarer for them to get fleeced. I half suspect our algorithm talked with the Red Sox algorithm and worked out the optimally hedged deal for both sides

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

And to think I was just having a disagreement with folks that didn't think it was possible that the Orioles would prioritize shedding payroll.

Who would say such a silly thing?

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Who would say such a silly thing?

You get all kinds around here.

I don't even remember who it was, just some random posters.

What a poor deal. Anyone who wanted Cashner has to take Cobbs contract also. Now that's the deal. 😎

Just now, bobmc said:

Melewski quotes the BOS Asst GM and he was disappointed that the O's selected these two versus others.

Like Romero was going to say good riddance or down-sell his own prospects. 

2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Melewski quotes the BOS Asst GM and he was disappointed that the O's selected these two versus others.

I wonder if the deal was any two names off the DSL roster?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

In a few years, one of these guys could be the next Jomar Reyes!

• Haha 2

I'm fine with this. For a guy like Andrew Cashner, I'd rather a couple of far out lottery tickets that a scout or two likes than higher level non-prospects. That was the likely alternative others seem to have wanted. Andrew Cashner is not good. His recent run has been great in fortuitous run prevention, but GMs are smart enough to see in the peripherals that this is still Andrew Cashner. The Sox are already talking about how they don't really need him in their rotation for very long. He wasn't bringing back anything impactful. 

• Upvote 3

Regardless of where they are from, international or domestic, I wonder what the % is for 17 year olds who signed, making it to the major leagues as decent, regular players, as opposed to not making the bigs at all,  or making it only as 4A players. Seems like a real shot in the dark unless after all is said and done,  there are some bucks saved here. And we do  not build a farm system up necessarily, by saving bucks;  it takes  getting good flesh and blood talent.      

Just now, Oriole1940 said:

Regardless of where they are from, international or domestic, I wonder what the % is for 17 year olds who signed, making it to the major leagues as decent, regular players, as opposed to not making the bigs at all,  or making it only as 4A players. Seems like a real shot in the dark unless after all is said and done,  there are some bucks saved here. And we do  not build a farm system up necessarily, by saving bucks;  it takes  getting good flesh and blood talent.      

I don't think he took a substantially weaker offer than he could have received elsewhere.

• Upvote 1