MurphDogg

Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

Would have been nice to have gotten more but I would rather get some lottery tickets in the DSL vs a low upside AA guy or two. I also don't think a sub 4 ERA was sustainable for Cashner and we likely sold high on him, especially considering his planned usage on the Red Sox.

I'm totally on board with this trade.  Elio Prado is a 17 year old, more than holding his own in a league that is mostly 18 and 19 year olds.  He is hitting .300, he has a little pop, and he has as many walks as strike outs.  And he plays CF.  That sounds like a real prospect to me.   

I didn't want the O's to trade Cashner for salary relief or for a busted ex-prospect like Dillon Tate, but to get a young guy with upside, who you've been able to scout in the DSL?  Hell yes.  And I'm not even talking about the other prospect they got.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So ...I thought we would have gotten more.

I know zilch about the guys we picked up..

So I will trust the guys in place and hope for the best.

Im hoping we have enough AAAA arms to get us through the season.

I wonder who the O’s bring up for Cashner? 

38 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So ...I thought we would have gotten more.

I know zilch about the guys we picked up..

So I will trust the guys in place and hope for the best.

Im hoping we have enough AAAA arms to get us through the season.

I hope so

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

So this is just my open question, if you don’t know anything about the players coming back, how do you judge the return? I can’t judge the return. 

Thank you for this.  I have no idea if either of these guys has any potential, but I am still trusting Elias until he gives me a reason not to.  I have to believe he saw some value in these guys and it wasnt just dumping Cashner for no reason.  Not sure if either will amount to anything, but rather a high risk/high reward young guy then a low ceiling older prospect.

Initial impression is that I like the trade.  I am putting my trust in Elias/Sig/Kolby until they give me reason to feel otherwise.

Ok, I just watched his interview and his reaction to being traded. I enjoyed watching him this year. That CH has made him more effective.

But man, is he gone yet? When asked about going to the Red Sox he gave the usual, “There’s so much history,” pablum and then named David Ortiz as one of his favorite Red Sox players. 

Get the hell out of Baltimore, Cashner.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

So this is just my open question, if you don’t know anything about the players coming back, how do you judge the return? I can’t judge the return. 

Coming from someone who likes the return...

Just last year these guys had a dollar value put on their potential as prospects. So there is a pretty solid reference point for their value.

Cashner is an extremely mediocre pitcher having a good year (Brocail deserve any credit?) and most likely going to regress to the mean.  He was going to net you an extremely mediocre return. I see nothing wrong with the trade.  The money was most likely the key.  Wonder if Elias get carte blanche to reinvest that into the organization or if that money is refunded to the Angelos’’? 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some folks valued the stability that Cashner provided over a light return.

That would include me.   But whether this is a light return is hard to say, since there’s not a lot of track record to go on with these guys.     Hopefully one or both pan out.   

7 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Coming from someone who likes the return...

Just last year these guys had a dollar value put on their potential as prospects. So there is a pretty solid reference point for their value.

Keoni Cavaco was a potential day 3 125k prospect last summer, he signed for 4.05M a few weeks ago. 

These guys have played in the Tricky league, dominican instructs, and 120+ DSL PA and are at least a year older than when those deals were agreed to (probably longer). We don’t know what kind of bonus these guys would command now.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

I like this deal more than any of the deals we made a year ago. 

I still find it hard to believe how much TB got for a guy who was done like Archer. They got two guys who are each, individually, far superior to the entirety of the haul we brought back. I have Ray envy. Pitt... what a disaster.

Just think of what the Rays could do if they had even a little bit of revenue to spend. They get the most out of the least in all of MLB.