Jump to content
MurphDogg

Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Morgan423 said:

People who don't come to the realization that Elias and company were hired for a Houston-style full rebuild, and then don't come to terms with the two or three horrendously painful years of major-league level baseball that entails, are going to have a really tough time of things upcoming.  I agree, if they can't stomach this, it's probably in their best interest to find another hobby the next few seasons and check back later. 

This is a time where you take your enjoyment from watching the construction of the new building... not looking at the ground where the building is going to go and exasperatingly bemoan that it's empty right now. 

Altuve played on three 100+ loss teams in Houston.

He played 35 games at AA and 0 games in AAA before reaching the majors as a 21 year old.

This season would be more palatable to me if the team was more aggressive in their promotion of position players.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Altuve played on three 100+ loss teams in Houston.

He played 35 games at AA and 0 games in AAA before reaching the majors as a 21 year old.

This season would be more palatable to me if the team was more aggressive in their promotion of position players.

Agree with you there.  That's part of the construction, and indeed, we've been lax there.  I'm hoping that starts to change a bit in the second half.  We have a few guys that don't have service clock concerns that we need to be looking at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Agree with you there.  That's part of the construction, and indeed, we've been lax there.  I'm hoping that starts to change a bit in the second half.  We have a few guys that don't have service clock concerns that we need to be looking at.

We have one guy that we should have service time concerns over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

We have one guy that we should have service time concerns over.

That's what I'm talking about.  It's time to start clearing roster spots for them to play.  You can't look at this 25-man at the MLB level and not see several guys that could be trimmed right off to make room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Altuve played on three 100+ loss teams in Houston.

He played 35 games at AA and 0 games in AAA before reaching the majors as a 21 year old.

This season would be more palatable to me if the team was more aggressive in their promotion of position players.

Houston is also a large market team and knew they could lock him up...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Camden_yardbird said:

Houston is also a large market team and knew they could lock him up...

Right...at 21 they knew they could lock him up when facing multiple 100 loss seasons in the face.

Sure, I'd buy that for a quarter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Houston is also a large market team and knew they could lock him up...

I know those large market Rays and Indians lock up a lot of guys early as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

 

 

I mean they certainly want to improve the level of international talent.  But whether that is tied to optics, we have no idea.  Though I do suppose some of these kids know each other or have the same managers, so it's connected in that way.  But I don't think this trade was purely to increase our profile in Latin American markets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right...at 21 they knew they could lock him up when facing multiple 100 loss seasons in the face.

Sure, I'd buy that for a quarter.

Yes.  They lnew if he became an MVP they could offer him enough to keep him and not imperil their rebuild.

If mountcastle came up and spent 3 years on a bad team becoming an MVP the Oriole could not do the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

People who don't come to the realization that Elias and company were hired for a Houston-style full rebuild, and then don't come to terms with the two or three horrendously painful years of major-league level baseball that entails, are going to have a really tough time of things upcoming.  I agree, if they can't stomach this, it's probably in their best interest to find another hobby the next few seasons and check back later. 

This is a time where you take your enjoyment from watching the construction of the new building... not looking at the ground where the building is going to go and exasperatingly bemoan that it's empty right now. 

Your metaphor is incorrect, at least   insofar as I can tell from the comments I’m reading here.

The problem is not that we are looking at the current empty hole instead of Imagining the future skyscraper, the problem is that we are seeing sloppy construction, illogical architecture, and blatant omissions( as a beautiful example, the concert hall in which I play was constructed about nine years ago at a cost of about $380 million, but the parking garage is less than half the size it needs to be. Every time I pull into that garage I shake my head at the incompetence of the people who knowingly put in 200 parking spaces instead of 500 parking spaces, and spent 380 million while doing so.)

I don’t complain about losing baseball. I am very happy to accept that so long as we are making progress towards our goal. God knows I’ll miss it in October. And I don’t have a problem with what Mike is doing. I have minor complaints about this or that player, but everyone does, and that’s OK. So I’m on board with the vision.

Between now and then, though, I have a huge problem with sloppy baseball. I have a huge problem with Villar being sloppy, Severino throwing to an unmanned base, Sisco’s myriad bonehead plays, Smith running such bad routes he’s going AWAY from the ball instead of towards it, and so on. 

 Because none of the guys here now is going to be on the team when it’s good, there is no reason not to get rid of guys who are consistently playing sloppy. We need to, right away, create an atmosphere of, “your best may not be good enough, but by God you better give your best and if you don’t, you’re gone.”

Whatever Hyde says behind closed doors has proven meaningless because the sloppy play continues.

At this time, and with these players, the one and only thing we can really do to help with future is to create an atmosphere of effort and results. We are not doing that.

I remember Dan saying,” He comes to play.” What a useless comment. Who doesn’t come to play?

Well......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

I prefer our deal:

 

 

Athletics acquired RHP Homer Bailey from the Royals for INF Kevin Merrell.

Merrell is a 23-year-old sporting a .631 OPS this season at Double-A, so the cost was cheap here for the A's. And they're only on the hook for about $250,000 of Bailey's salary for 2019. The veteran right-hander has posted underwhelming overall numbers this year, but does boast a 2.83 ERA over his last six starts. He'll make his Oakland debut sometime next week.

Was just coming here to post this. If the market for a 5th starter is a worse Rylan Bannon type prospect I much prefer taking a shot at a high risk, high reward int'l players.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

I prefer our deal:

 

Athletics acquired RHP Homer Bailey from the Royals for INF Kevin Merrell.

Merrell is a 23-year-old sporting a .631 OPS this season at Double-A, so the cost was cheap here for the A's. And they're only on the hook for about $250,000 of Bailey's salary for 2019. The veteran right-hander has posted underwhelming overall numbers this year, but does boast a 2.83 ERA over his last six starts. He'll make his Oakland debut sometime next week.

Guess the Royals GM should be fired along with Elias now too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Obando said:

I assume that Elias felt the quality of the prospects the O’s were getting in the deal made it worth agreeing to pay half of Cashner’a remaining salary for this year and his signing bonus.  Otherwise, why make the deal?  Don’t judge the trade based on how far away these prospects are from the majors or what they signed for last J2.  If Elias & Koby like these players, I’m willing to trust them on this and see how it plays out.  If anything, it’s clear the O’s just wanted to get rid of Cashner as quickly as they could, and there were only 2 teams showing legit interest.  Elias probably felt it was too risky to wait another couple weeks to hopefully increase his value further, when the opposite could happen and Cashner has been pitching great the last 2 months.  Trade him while he’s hot.

Agreed...great move.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LTO's said:

Was just coming here to post this. If the market for a 5th starter is a worse Rylan Bannon type prospect I much prefer taking a shot at a high risk, high reward int'l players.

I agree.  If we traded Cashner and got something back like the Royals just got I'd be irate.  Not that I think either of these kids have a chance to make it but there's gotta be a higher upside than a Kevin Merrell, a 23-year-old Double-A infielder hitting .246/.292/.339 type.  

THAT guy doesn't help us either.  I'm not saying the kids do but at least there's a chance, albeit small, that they do.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who knows how either of these guys will turn out, but I'd much rather take two 17 year olds who we can develop than a few 23 year old AA players who won't progress much further than where they are, we got enough of those at last years deadline.

Look at what KC just got for Bailey, I'll take our return over that any day.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...