Jump to content
DocJJ

Not to be whiny, but can we just cut Richie Martin loose already?

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, weams said:

 

No way not to be impressed by the jump height and timing. He looks happy afterwards.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philip said:

Buck? Is that you?

Oh, so you are one who thinks there is any accuracy there yet? Advanced defensive metrics are sadly insufficient. Honestly, its that there are no better ones that disturb me.  And it would not be that hard to tighten it up. Savage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 “I do know that the UZR stat’s convoluted because it’s dependent on a person to collect the data. Then, you know, WAR’s affected by UZR as well – one version, depends on where you get it, I guess. So, I don’t put a lot of weight in UZR and I don’t think it’s that accurate of a stat.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Ball in the gap with a man on first, should you throw to third to try to get a guy, or try to keep a double play in order?” says Boston’s Mookie Betts. “I don’t know if that kind of thing goes into statistics, but pitchers, people in the game, know that’s the game. You keep the double play in order, and the pitcher’s one pitch away from getting out of an inning. Those type of things are more important than some of the statistical stuff.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“I don’t buy any of that crap,” Eaton says. “I think it’s all worthless. I think baseball, you play with your eyes. You’ve played with your eyes for the last 135 years, and now all of a sudden, they want to create some jobs, so we’ve got all these numbers.”

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“You know what?” Fowler says. “This whole metrics stuff is skewed. If anybody asks, just ask the pitcher, ‘Hey, who do you want out there?’ That’s what they need to do, is start asking pitchers.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Weams.  I have been saying this for years.  I have been saying  it for so long I got tired of saying it.  So I rarely talk about it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

Is Richie Martin next year's Opening day starting short stop? If not, then who?

Depends on whether Elias can acquire someone better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, weams said:

Oh, so you are one who thinks there is any accuracy there yet? Advanced defensive metrics are sadly insufficient. Honestly, its that there are no better ones that disturb me.  And it would not be that hard to tighten it up. Savage. 

I was joking. Buck urgently and constantly derided every stat except, apparently, TTTP.

My own feeling is that, despite their problems, they exist for a reason and we ignore them at our peril. It’s better to have them than not have them, and we need only put them in perspective for them to be useful.

Buck threw the baby out with the bath water.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Philip said:

I was joking. Buck urgently and constantly derided every stat except, apparently, TTTP.

My own feeling is that, despite their problems, they exist for a reason and we ignore them at our peril. It’s better to have them than not have them, and we need only put them in perspective for them to be useful.

Buck threw the baby out with the bath water.

Thanks. Well explained. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to last night's game, and they had a between inning segment with Mejdal talking about how antiquated batting average is because it developed 10 years after the Civil Wars. I guess getting rid of slavery is antiquated, too, right, Sid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheThinkingOriole said:

I went to last night's game, and they had a between inning segment with Mejdal talking about how antiquated batting average is because it developed 10 years after the Civil Wars. I guess getting rid of slavery is antiquated, too, right, Sid?

I stand by my earlier comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched a segment on Wall to Wall Baseball where all three participants (Davis, Kubatko, Viviano) were saying that the eye test Martin’s defense doesn’t match the advanced metrics.    As I mentioned, I agree.    I’ve also noticed a lot of comments by teammates recently on how good his defense is.    

I wish there was a database you could go to to see the individual plays and how they were graded.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frobby said:

Just watched a segment on Wall to Wall Baseball where all three participants (Davis, Kubatko, Viviano) were saying that the eye test Martin’s defense doesn’t match the advanced metrics.    As I mentioned, I agree.    I’ve also noticed a lot of comments by teammates recently on how good his defense is.    

I wish there was a database you could go to to see the individual plays and how they were graded.   

Like I said. Lazy and sloppy. We put a man on the moon. We can have plays graded by robots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...