Sign in to follow this  
scOtt

July 20th 1969

Most exciting part of the whole thing. Nearly ran out of fuel landing. The calls, "60 seconds", "30 seconds", that's how much fuel they had left. If they used the whole 30 seconds it was instant abort and blast off back up to the Command Module without landing. Edge of your seat stuff!

"Roger Tranquility. We copy you on the ground. You got a bunch of guys about to turn blue. We're breathing again. Thanks a lot."

Long video but I could watch HOURS of this stuff.

17 hours ago, scOtt said:

Most exciting part of the whole thing. Nearly ran out of fuel landing. The calls, "60 seconds", "30 seconds", that's how much fuel they had left. If they used the whole 30 seconds it was instant abort and blast off back up to the Command Module without landing. Edge of your seat stuff!

"Roger Tranquility. We copy you on the ground. You got a bunch of guys about to turn blue. We're breathing again. Thanks a lot."

Long video but I could watch HOURS of this stuff.

I was 10. I had so much hope. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

I was 10. I had so much hope. 

I was 7. Probably was already asleep. My sister last night said she remembered it because she got to stay up late.

True story.   In the school year following the moon landing, Neil Armstrong’s son went to my junior high school.    On parent-teacher night, my friend and I were serving as hall guides for the parents.    Rumors started swirling that Neil Armstrong had showed up, and later, sure enough, we spotted him a ways down the hall.    My friend casually walked down the hall and “accidentally” brushed Armstrong as he walked by him.    Then he rushed back to me and said, breathlessly, “I touched a man who touched the moon!”

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

True story.   In the school year following the moon landing, Neil Armstrong’s son went to my junior high school.    On parent-teacher night, my friend and I were serving as hall guides for the parents.    Rumors started swirling that Neil Armstrong had showed up, and later, sure enough, we spotted him a ways down the hall.    My friend casually walked down the hall and “accidentally” brushed Armstrong as he walked by him.    Then he rushed back to me and said, breathlessly, “I touched a man who touched the moon!”

Good think he didn't try that with Buzz Aldrin.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Onion headline the other day showed Buzz Aldrin still on the moon, waving, with rocks spelling out "HELP" trying to desparately warn earth about the crazy alien imposter that has been taking his place for the last 50 years.

On 7/20/2019 at 7:02 PM, scOtt said:

I was 7. Probably was already asleep. My sister last night said she remembered it because she got to stay up late.

I was 5 and I was really excited and allowed to stay up and watch.   Pretty much the first event I can remember that is external to my family, going to visit grandpa, moving into a new house, etc. 

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And a few days after the anniversary, Chris Kraft has passed away at age 95..   He was flight director for all the early (Mercury and Gemini) missions, and oversaw the flight directors for all the Apollo missions.   He basically invented Mission Control.   A Virginia Tech alumnus...

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/22/509400570/chris-kraft-one-of-the-architects-of-the-u-s-space-program-dies-at-95

• Upvote 1