OFFNY

The Rubber Match (vs. RED SOX, 7/21)

2 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

No Boston Massacre today ........ a 5-run lead stays a 5-run lead, and a win for the Orioles.

o

You know we were all thinking about the Mother's Day Massacre when the inning started.  Go O's!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

All season long, the Orioles have had a reasonable chance to win a game if Cashner was starting ........ Cashner is starting, so the Orioles have a reasonable chance.

o

o

I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that Cashner was starting this game. ) :D

o

35 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

No Boston Massacre today ........ a 5-run lead stays a 5-run lead, and a win for the Orioles.

o

32 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

You know we were all thinking about the Mother's Day Massacre when the inning started. Go, O's !!!

o

Ah, thanks for the correction ........ The Boston Massacre was when the Yankees swept the Red Sox 4 games at Fenway Park in 1978 by a combined score of 42-9.

o

That was satisfying even though I had to stay up till after 5:00 am here in Seoul to nurse the no-hitter, then shutout along. Hey, OFFNY, give me a greenie--I have Monday morning errands to run!

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Orioles blow out Red Sox, Red Sox blow out Orioles, Orioles one-hit Red Sox. Nice to see this team stand up to a much better team like this.

I would imagine the people that over the monster are screaming. Sounds Better than Beethoven, baby!

24 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

Here's some more of you guys pot smoking hippy music

“Little Jackie paper loved that rascal puff...”

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• I'm multitasking.
    • I'm here too, logged in as DJ Stewart's number one fan on the board. I like the guys who don't look like athletes.
    • Here's bad news: I'm watching. 
    • Looks like it's just me and you here, @eddie83
    • So I had a grand theory all ready to explain modern baseball, based on the impact of the information revolution on defense.  According to the theory, better data has allowed teams to better measure individual defense and the contribution of defense to run prevention, which has led to increased emphasis on defensive ability in personnel decisions.  Better data has also led to shifts and other improvements in defensive positioning.  All of these factors have led in theory to improved defensive efficiency--an increase in the percentage of balls in play that are converted into outs.  In turn, this has led to a change in optimal offensive strategies.  If it's harder to get hits on balls in play, then it is less likely that you will be able to score runs by stringing a bunch of singles together, or by using small ball tactics like base stealing, the hit and run and the sacrifice.  Teams thus optimally put more emphasis on power in personnel decisions, because a home run is the one way to score runs that can't be stopped by good defense. Great theory, huh?  Then I looked at the data.  Here are the numbers for aggregate defensive efficiency for MLB since 2001: 2001:  0.691     2002:  0.695   2003:  0.694   2004:  0.691   2005:  0.693   2006:  0.687   2007:  0.686   2008:  0.689 2009:  0.690   2010:  0.691   2011:  0.694    2012:  0.691   2013:  0.692   2014:  0.690    2015:  0.689    2016: 0.688 2017:  0.688    2018:  0.691 So twenty years into the defensive revolution, we have...the same defensive efficiency that we had in 2001.  Teams on the whole are doing no better today at converting balls in play into outs than they were in 2001, despite all of the shifts and all of the zone ratings and other defensive measures that are now available.   So much for my theory.  Some earlier posts suggest another theory--improved pitch design and velocity have made it harder to hit for contact, which increases strikeouts and reduces batting average.  In turn this leads to a greater emphasis on power at the expense of contact, increasing home runs, further increasing strikeouts and further reducing batting average.  That theory may be correct, but it's less obvious to me that the correct strategic response to improved pitch design and velocity is to sacrifice contact for power. It could go the other way--in response to better pitching, it is even more important to hit for contact, to put the ball in play, to sustain an offense.  It would take a model simulation to determine whether the optimal response to power pitching is to emphasize power hitting.   Or it could just be a juiced ball!  
    • Two out walk no damage. I say Orioles win 8-2 tonight.  
    • Holy hell Soler is having himself a season.
  • Popular Contributors