Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ScGO's

Inventory Year - Phase Two

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

To me, Stewart and Peterson should bear no relationship to each other.   One’s strictly a corner outfielder, the other is a utility player who is primarily an infielder but can also play outfield.   

I really don’t like the current construction of our roster.    To me, Wilkerson and Peterson are the same type of player and should not both be on the roster simultaneously.   

But, if we are going to entice Peterson not to leave the organization (as we did a few weeks ago), you have to give him a fair chance or what’s the point?

I would let him leave. Where is he going to go? Is there a market for below replacement level players who are 29?  I think if he gets DFA''d he ends up back at Norfolk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

To me, Stewart and Peterson should bear no relationship to each other.   One’s strictly a corner outfielder, the other is a utility player who is primarily an infielder but can also play outfield.   

I really don’t like the current construction of our roster.    To me, Wilkerson and Peterson are the same type of player and should not both be on the roster simultaneously.   

But, if we are going to entice Peterson not to leave the organization (as we did a few weeks ago), you have to give him a fair chance or what’s the point?

Totally agree about Stewart/Peterson. If Stewart makes it, his role should be power hitting OF/DH. (Unfortunately, we already have a couple of those).

I wonder if having Wilkerson and Peterson on hand was on the assumption of a Villar trade. I would be surprised if both last the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Ruiz on a 30 team dynasty league team, and I'm a bit shocked why he was sent down.  Over the past 30 days, he was hitting .281 with a .783 OPS.  With the above average defense he brings with him, it makes it even more surprising. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I have Ruiz on a 30 team dynasty league team, and I'm a bit shocked why he was sent down.  Over the past 30 days, he was hitting .281 with a .783 OPS.  With the above average defense he brings with him, it makes it even more surprising. 

He has a weak arm.  He's more like average defensively, which can't carry a .650 OPS in today's game.  Especially considering the offensive explosion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He has a weak arm.  He's more like average defensively, which can't carry a .650 OPS in today's game.  Especially considering the offensive explosion.  

Ruiz has a weak arm?  What guy have you been watching?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Ruiz has a weak arm?  What guy have you been watching?

I do think his arm’s a little weak.   Not drastically so.    Of course, I’m used to watching Manny out there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do think his arm’s a little weak.   Not drastically so.    Of course, I’m used to watching Manny out there.  

Never thought that it was weak watching  him.  Now Alberto.  There is a weak arm.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Never thought that it was weak watching  him.  Now Alberto.  There is a weak arm.

If you look in the defense thread, you’ll see a couple of times, early in the year, where I noted some weak throws.  So that’s my impression.  Just now I went back and looked at several old scouting reports on him and none of them note that he has a weak arm.   So, my impression could well be wrong.   In any event I said “not drastically so,” so nobody’s saying he’s Mountcastle out there.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small Sample Size, but Ruiz has been on fire since coming back to the big club.  I looked a little deeper on his career to get a better idea of who he is as a player/prospect. 

He never conquered AA as he had a .657 OPS at age 21.  He was at AAA the next season.  He should have repeated AA.  He has a .747 OPS in 369 AAA games, but was up and down with Atlanta.  Seems to flash athleticism.  He has just turned 25, has had a very good glove through his career, and has flashed On-base skills.  I think he needs to be given 3B for the rest of the season to see if he can break out.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2019 at 12:21 PM, ThomasTomasz said:

I have Ruiz on a 30 team dynasty league team, and I'm a bit shocked why he was sent down.  Over the past 30 days, he was hitting .281 with a .783 OPS.  With the above average defense he brings with him, it makes it even more surprising. 

His demotion, once it was revealed it had nothing to do with him going on paternity leave, makes absolutely no sense to me considering that he was in the middle of a very good July. 

But now he's even hotter at the plate, so maybe they had some kind of plan with him at AAA. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every 2 weeks or so I am going to update this list with some trends.  I am most interested in how the 40 man roster is being shaped for next season and how Elias is evaluating his talent before then.  In my first post, we determined that Givens, Fry, Bundy, Mancini, Armstrong, Alberto, Severino, Nunez, and Means were all but assured 40 man spots going into next season.  I am focusing on those whose spots are up in the air.  A few DFAs have already taken place which is assuring and shows that the 2nd phase of evaluation is underway.

Still in need of more evaluation time – These guys have shown flashes or tools worthy of innings, but for one reason or another have to show something in the next two months before they assured a spot on next years roster

Gabriel Ynoa – Trending up - Much much better as a reliever.  If he is kept out of a start role, he is the prototypical long relief, innings eater

Asher Wojciechowski – Trending up - The K's are there.  He's going into the 6th, 7th inning with his starts.  Flashes much more potential than Brooks, Eshelman, etc.  Will probably be one of our top 5 starter options next season.

Miguel Castro – Trending up - His spot is probably safe at this point.  His K/9 is up to 8.5.  Needs to get BBs down though.  Shown enough to give another year to put it all together.

Richard Bleier – Trending down - He's throwing BP up there.  I love what he did the past few seasons, but he might be done.

Stevie Wilkerson – Trending up - We need some OF depth so this guy doesn't have to hit against lefties any more.  He's got an OPS above .800 against righties.  He needs to be our super utility guy next year and get more reps at 2B and 3B

Chance Sisco – Trending down - Might be a trade candidate now that we have catcher depth in our system.  Severino is doing all he can to stay in the line up.  Flashes OBP skills, but not sure if he's an MLB catcher.

Anthony Santander – Trending up - Has us all very excited.  Let's hope he is the real deal.

Richie Martin – Trending up - Probably needs a season in AAA next year but we don't have SS depth.  He has been hitting ,283 with at .333 OBP in 2nd half.

Rio Ruiz – Trending down - Hot start after his return, but he is still losing ABs to Jace Peterson.  I believe he needs to be given the 3B position for the rest of the season, but his demotion may be a hint of how they are feeling about him.

 

Time to move on – These are all guys that will not be on the 40 man by the start of next season (maybe)

David Hess – Trending down - 1-10 record says it all

Tom Eshelman – Trending down - 85 mph fastballs, whew

Aaron Brooks –Trending down - He has also relocated to Tater City

Jimmy Yacabonis – DFA

Jonathan Villar – Trending up - I was all for trading or DFA, but maybe Elias thinks he can trade him next season, either before or during it.

Jace Peterson – Trending down - Not showing enough to warrant a roster spot for a soon to be 30 year old.

Chris Davis – Trending down - After the dugout scuffle, could this be the beginning of the end?

Dwight Smith Jr – Trending down - I'm not sure if he'll get ABs when he is healthy. Especially with Stewart coming bac

Chandler Shepherd – Trending up? - Wasn't destroyed in his debut.  Not sure if it will last, but has shown high K's in AAA.

 

Time to evaluate – These are guys that still need to be evaluated and because of age or lack of options need to be evaluated now to determine if they are worthy of keeping around or being given a shot next year. Hopefully during September Call Ups we can spread innings and starts around a bit to see all these guys.

Branden Kline – Trending down - Getting lit up at AAA and MLB.  Seems to flash stuff, but needs to start stringing together some good outings.

Evan Phillips – Trending down - Hasn't been called up in a while. This might show their confidence in him. 

Dillon Tate – Trending up - Showed some flashes in his debut.  I think there is enough there to keep him on the 40 man for next year.

Tayler Scott – Trending down - Is all over the place when he pitches. 

Tanner Scott – Trending up - AAA numbers are solid.  Upside should keep him around for another year.

Austin Hays – Trending up - Starting to hit in AAA.  Might not get much of a look this year, but should be given a shot next season.  

DJ Stewart – Trending up - Despite the concussion, it is obvious they are ready to give him a shot.  Should be back soon.

Jose Rondon – DFA

 

Stash away – Would like to keep these are guys, but they need to be removed from the 40 man roster even at the risk of losing them on waivers.  Might be able to make a trade if they are claimed.

Luis Ortiz – Trending down - Hasn't done anything this season

Cody Carroll – Trending up - Our lack of BP depth will probably assure him a spot next season when he is healthy.  

Austin Wynns – Trending down - Doesn't seem to be room for him in the system anymore

Cedric Mullins –Trending down - He's down in AA, going the wrong way.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two notes. Sisco is trending down but you won't get anything in a trade so why not just keep him and Severino and see what happens next year?

 Release Hess?   Hess was decent as a starter in 2018.  Horrible this year. I wouldn't give up on him this quickly.  Hess can throw strikes and strikeout batters.  At the very least we need to see what he can do strictly out of the bullpen. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Every 2 weeks or so I am going to update this list with some trends.  I am most interested in how the 40 man roster is being shaped for next season and how Elias is evaluating his talent before then.  In my first post, we determined that Givens, Fry, Bundy, Mancini, Armstrong, Alberto, Severino, Nunez, and Means were all but assured 40 man spots going into next season.  I am focusing on those whose spots are up in the air.  A few DFAs have already taken place which is assuring and shows that the 2nd phase of evaluation is underway.

Still in need of more evaluation time – These guys have shown flashes or tools worthy of innings, but for one reason or another have to show something in the next two months before they assured a spot on next years roster

Gabriel Ynoa – Trending up - Much much better as a reliever.  If he is kept out of a start role, he is the prototypical long relief, innings eater

Asher Wojciechowski – Trending up - The K's are there.  He's going into the 6th, 7th inning with his starts.  Flashes much more potential than Brooks, Eshelman, etc.  Will probably be one of our top 5 starter options next season.

Miguel Castro – Trending up - His spot is probably safe at this point.  His K/9 is up to 8.5.  Needs to get BBs down though.  Shown enough to give another year to put it all together.

Richard Bleier – Trending down - He's throwing BP up there.  I love what he did the past few seasons, but he might be done.

Stevie Wilkerson – Trending up - We need some OF depth so this guy doesn't have to hit against lefties any more.  He's got an OPS above .800 against righties.  He needs to be our super utility guy next year and get more reps at 2B and 3B

Chance Sisco – Trending down - Might be a trade candidate now that we have catcher depth in our system.  Severino is doing all he can to stay in the line up.  Flashes OBP skills, but not sure if he's an MLB catcher.

Anthony Santander – Trending up - Has us all very excited.  Let's hope he is the real deal.

Richie Martin – Trending up - Probably needs a season in AAA next year but we don't have SS depth.  He has been hitting ,283 with at .333 OBP in 2nd half.

Rio Ruiz – Trending down - Hot start after his return, but he is still losing ABs to Jace Peterson.  I believe he needs to be given the 3B position for the rest of the season, but his demotion may be a hint of how they are feeling about him.

 

Time to move on – These are all guys that will not be on the 40 man by the start of next season (maybe)

David Hess – Trending down - 1-10 record says it all

Tom Eshelman – Trending down - 85 mph fastballs, whew

Aaron Brooks –Trending down - He has also relocated to Tater City

Jimmy Yacabonis – DFA

Jonathan Villar – Trending up - I was all for trading or DFA, but maybe Elias thinks he can trade him next season, either before or during it.

Jace Peterson – Trending down - Not showing enough to warrant a roster spot for a soon to be 30 year old.

Chris Davis – Trending down - After the dugout scuffle, could this be the beginning of the end?

Dwight Smith Jr – Trending down - I'm not sure if he'll get ABs when he is healthy. Especially with Stewart coming bac

Chandler Shepherd – Trending up? - Wasn't destroyed in his debut.  Not sure if it will last, but has shown high K's in AAA.

 

Time to evaluate – These are guys that still need to be evaluated and because of age or lack of options need to be evaluated now to determine if they are worthy of keeping around or being given a shot next year. Hopefully during September Call Ups we can spread innings and starts around a bit to see all these guys.

Branden Kline – Trending down - Getting lit up at AAA and MLB.  Seems to flash stuff, but needs to start stringing together some good outings.

Evan Phillips – Trending down - Hasn't been called up in a while. This might show their confidence in him. 

Dillon Tate – Trending up - Showed some flashes in his debut.  I think there is enough there to keep him on the 40 man for next year.

Tayler Scott – Trending down - Is all over the place when he pitches. 

Tanner Scott – Trending up - AAA numbers are solid.  Upside should keep him around for another year.

Austin Hays – Trending up - Starting to hit in AAA.  Might not get much of a look this year, but should be given a shot next season.  

DJ Stewart – Trending up - Despite the concussion, it is obvious they are ready to give him a shot.  Should be back soon.

Jose Rondon – DFA

 

Stash away – Would like to keep these are guys, but they need to be removed from the 40 man roster even at the risk of losing them on waivers.  Might be able to make a trade if they are claimed.

Luis Ortiz – Trending down - Hasn't done anything this season

Cody Carroll – Trending up - Our lack of BP depth will probably assure him a spot next season when he is healthy.  

Austin Wynns – Trending down - Doesn't seem to be room for him in the system anymore

Cedric Mullins –Trending down - He's down in AA, going the wrong way.

How is Peterson trending down?  He is hitting .289 in his last 38 at bats with 2 homers and 8 runs batted in.   And all that is against the Yankees and Astros.   

I am not a big Peterson fan but fair is fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like these posts, but I do have to disagree with Ruiz/Peterson both trending down. They're both playing very well right now. I'm not sure WHY Peterson is on the team, exactly, other than to play some LF. So I suspect he could be on the way out when Stewart gets back. Or just a pitcher. 

I also disagree that Eshelman is trending down. I don't like him as a starter, but he's been "decent" as a reliever (4.60). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wildcard said:

How is Peterson trending down?  He is hitting .289 in his last 38 at bats with 2 homers and 8 runs batted in.   And all that is against the Yankees and Astros.   

I am not a big Peterson fan but fair is fair.

Fair argument.  I guess I'm trying to look at it through the 40 man roster management glasses.  If Peterson was 25 I'd have him trending up, but I'm just not seeing him as an option for next season unless he hits .400 the rest of the season and shows the ability to play himself into a trade piece for next season.

I believe in Ruiz and want to see him trend up, but he's not getting starts right now and that worries me.  I think he has done enough to be given every day starts till the end of the season at 3B in order to figure himself out, but he;s not being given that opportunity yet.  If he begins starting again every day I will absolutely mark him has trending up next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...