OregonBird

Non Tex related: Orioles/celebrity sightings/encounters

I saw Ted Kennedy at a baseball game at RFK in the last spring training game about 10 years ago. It was back when Mitch Williams was the closer for the Phillies.

There's a sort of joke in New York that everyone who lives here has run into Alec Baldwin.

:eektf: Seriously, when my parents and I were in New York a few years back, my mom saw Alec Baldwin hailing a cab. That's hilarious.

And as for personal celeb sightings...I did see Cal once at Ripken Stadium...but that probably happens pretty often.:D

I sat right next to Eric Karros at an O's game a couple of years ago. He's really good friends with the creator/CEO of UnderArmor, and they had a huge group at the yard.

My buddy asked Renee Zelwegger if she wanted to go to an O's/Rangers game last year. He worked where she was staying while she was filming in Mount Vernon. She said no.

Dicky V. It was really cool. A game over the summer. My brother and I were getting autographs and he was in the section first base side to the right of home plate, but behind the netting. He was taking pictures, and I got his autograph on a ball, in which you can actually decipher "Dick Vitale." My brother asked who his pick was for this year; he said Carolina. I think it he was with his grandkids, and he was encouraging them to go by the dugouts to get autos. Real nice, personable guy.

This was not a random encounter, but...

I went to the Orioles fan fest in 2006. I looked at who was signing autographs, and one guy was named Nick Markakis. Me and my dad asked, "Who is this Markakis guy?"

It was before Markakis' rookie year. Should have got his autograph.

(Well the line was too long anyways. Even if it was Miguel Tejada signing autographs at that time, I still woundn't have got in the long line)

This was not a random encounter, but...

I went to the Orioles fan fest in 2006. I looked at who was signing autographs, and one guy was named Nick Markakis. Me and my dad asked, "Who is this Markakis guy?"

It was before Markakis' rookie year. Should have got his autograph.

(Well the line was too long anyways. Even if it was Miguel Tejada signing autographs at that time, I still woundn't have got in the long line)

You didn't know who Markakis was before his rookie year in the bigs? Turn in your fan card immediately.

You didn't know who Markakis was before his rookie year in the bigs? Turn in your fan card immediately.

I was only ten years old. I didn't know anything about prospects back then.

• Upvote 1

I was only ten years old. I didn't know anything about prospects back then.

I gave you pos rep anyhow, but I'm curious what exactly has changed in the two years since then, what caused you to be be enough of a fan to join our message board.

• Upvote 1

I gave you pos rep anyhow, but I'm curious what exactly has changed in the two years since then, what caused you to be be enough of a fan to join our message board.

I started following baseball in 2005. Though I didn't know any prospects. Then I became a really big fan in 2008.

My brother told me about this site, so I joined. This site is where I found out about all of our prospects.

Now I'm crazy about draft picks and prospects!

Hey congrats to Paul Bako, and I'm not slamming him....but how does a 13-year old become the analyst on OH for the New York Mets? He must have some serious scouting abilities or writing abilities!! :laughlol:

Anyway, back on topic...

When I used to work at Dick's Sporting Goods in Bel Air a few years back it was the winter of 2004 heading into the season we signed Tejada. It was at night probably around 7:30 ish, the store was relatively quiet and Mora walked in, by himself, minding his business.

No one seem to notice just who he was, except for me of course. So I proceeded to tell a few different people in each department that Mel Mora was here...so being a good store employee, I walked up to him and asked if he needed help. He smiled and said yes, and was looking to see if we carried bat racks for his bats so he could store them for the off-season.

Unfortunately, we didn't, and he started to check out some of the weights....well we got to talking for a good 5 minutes, and I asked how he felt about possibly signing Vlad :laughlol: and he smiled and said we'll see, we'll see. I wished him good luck this season and to come back any time and he pulled out his own baseball card ( I guess he had quite a few in his wallet?) and signed it for me, and then said goodbye.

Two years later at the stadium before a game I went down near the field and Mel actually remembered my name (Matt) and asked how I was doing, so that was always pretty cool.

• Upvote 1

Hey congrats to Paul Bako, and I'm not slamming him....but how does a 13-year old become the analyst on OH for the New York Mets? He must have some serious scouting abilities or writing abilities!! :laughlol:

Anyway, back on topic...

When I used to work at Dick's Sporting Goods in Bel Air a few years back it was the winter of 2004 heading into the season we signed Tejada. It was at night probably around 7:30 ish, the store was relatively quiet and Mora walked in, by himself, minding his business.

No one seem to notice just who he was, except for me of course. So I proceeded to tell a few different people in each department that Mel Mora was here...so being a good store employee, I walked up to him and asked if he needed help. He smiled and said yes, and was looking to see if we carried bat racks for his bats so he could store them for the off-season.

Unfortunately, we didn't, and he started to check out some of the weights....well we got to talking for a good 5 minutes, and I asked how he felt about possibly signing Vlad :laughlol: and he smiled and said we'll see, we'll see. I wished him good luck this season and to come back any time and he pulled out his own baseball card ( I guess he had quite a few in his wallet?) and signed it for me, and then said goodbye.

Two years later at the stadium before a game I went down near the field and Mel actually remembered my name (Matt) and asked how I was doing, so that was always pretty cool.

I am soooo jealous!:o

How can you not love My Melvin?:):clap3::wedge:

I saw Ted Kennedy at a baseball game at RFK in the last spring training game about 10 years ago. It was back when Mitch Williams was the closer for the Phillies.

That must have been a great day to be one of the Esskay vendors.

The first time I ever went to Manhattan, I was visiting a buddy who moved there after we graduated college. He spent a day taking me all over the place and showing me the sights, and as we were going through Greenwich Village, we stopped in a deli to grab a drink -- it was July and really hot and muggy outside.

I'm standing in line behind a white guy who looks to be in his late 50's / early 60's, but I'm guessing 'cause all I can see is his long straggly yellow hair, his skinny kind-of-overly-wrinkly arms sticking out of his NY Knicks jersey, and his skinny old guy legs sticking out of his cut-off jean shorts. Also wearing black All Stars with white scribbly writing all over them, and silver bangley bracelets, and big shiny rings.

Being a snarky wise-ass at the time, I nudge my buddy with my elbow and whisper "Hey, check out hipster grandpa here! Maybe it's time somebody told him to get a haircut and stop dressing like a teenager!"

The fellow gets up to the counter, and in a soft voice and rather elegant British accent, orders a turkey sandwich and a Snapple. I pause, thinking "Hey, I know that voice..." while the man goes around the corner of the counter to wait for his order.

I see his face. Robert Plant.

I was making fun of Robert frickin' Plant.

That was the day I knew I was a grade-A jackass.

In the early 90s, when my sister was in Elementary School (Elmwood), her PE Teacher left on maternity leave. The sub, none other than Tippy Martinez.

Other than that my only celebrity encounter was seeing Gary Shandling walking down the street in NYC with a gorgeous yonger woman, and seeing Daniel Cabrera before Fanfest in the lobby of the downtown Marriott one year.