Icterus galbula

Anti-Rants

I love a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich that has sufficient jelly for it to start hemorrhaging through the bread.

I like PB&J's. But not the jelly-leaking part. If I want one for later, I put PB on both pieces of bread, just to seal off the jelly from making the bread soggy. But let's not worry about that. Yeah, I agree: PB&J's are great!

I like Peter Pan Crunchy. Boy, am I glad it's back after the little, um, unfortunateness. During it's absence, I went through a lot of others. I thought Skippy Chunky was the best alternative. But IMO it's not as good as Peter Pan Crunchy. With blackberry preserves. Which is sometimes hard to find. Strawberry preserves are my back-up. PB-and-banana sandwiches are great too.

The only single thing my bride does that I just do not understand *at all* is that she likes PB-and-mayo. (Jeez.) I tell her I love her anyway.

Sometimes a cold Diet Coke is more perfect than should be possible.

I like Diet Coke better than regular Coke because of the taste. It has nothing to do with calories. For my taste, regular Coke is too sweet. Or the wrong kind of sweet. My bride says it's because they use high-fructose corn syrup instead of sugar. In some other countries, they can't do that, so they use sugar. There, I like regular Coke better and the foreign version of Diet Coke ("Coke Lite" or whatever it's called) worse. Sometimes, if you're on an airplane and ask for Diet Coke, you get the foreign kind (if the plane recenty came from somewhere else). Look out, it's not the same taste at all.

I don't drink Diet Coke much. I usually drink iced tea instead. I'm scared of that sweetener in Diet Coke, it's bad for you (really). My bride can't stand Diet Coke because she's one of the 20% of people for whom that sweetener doesn't taste sweet, it tastes bitter instead.

I mainly drink Diet Coke in the car... because it comes in a can, and the iced tea I make doesn't. But sometimes... if it's really hot, and I'm really thirsty... and if the Diet Coke is *really* cold... it tastes SO good I almost can't stand it. Really. Sometimes it's better-than-perfect.

ps: I don't understand pouring warm Coke over ice. It makes it go flat in about 5 seconds. But if you chill the Coke first, it stays fizzy way-longer. Pouring cold Coke over ice makes it foam up a lot. Which also makes it go flat. The best way is to pour the cold Coke in the glass, and then add the ice cubes after that. That works best. Trust me. I've been working on this problem for about 30 years ;-)

Sometimes a cold Diet Coke is more perfect than should be possible.

I like Diet Coke better than regular Coke because of the taste. It has nothing to do with calories. For my taste, regular Coke is too sweet. Or the wrong kind of sweet. My bride says it's because they use high-fructose corn syrup instead of sugar. In some other countries, they can't do that, so they use sugar. There, I like regular Coke better and the foreign version of Diet Coke ("Coke Lite" or whatever it's called) worse.

I don't drink Diet Coke much. I usually drink iced tea instead. I'm scared of that sweetener in Diet Coke, it's bad for you (really). My bride can't stand Diet Coke because she's one of the 20% of people for whom that sweetener doesn't taste sweet, it tastes bitter instead.

I mainly drink Diet Coke in the car... because it comes in a can, and the iced tea I make doesn't. But sometimes... if it's really hot, and I'm really thirsty... and if the Diet Coke is *really* cold... it tastes SO good I almost can't stand it. Really. Sometimes it's better-than-perfect.

ps: I don't understand pouring warm Coke over ice. It makes it go flat in about 5 seconds. But if you chill the Coke first, it stays fizzy way-longer. Pouring cold Coke over ice makes it foam up a lot. Which also makes it go flat. The best way is to pour the cold Coke in the glass, and then add the ice cubes after that. That works best. Trust me. I've been working on this for about 30 years ;-)

I 150% agree. When I tell people I like the taste better, they think I am crazy. Of course, I was probably weaned on diet coke, so that probably has something to do with it. I drink a lot of diet coke, but I hate coke light in other countries. I also prefer diet coke from the fountain to the bottled or canned variety.

I'm not sure diet coke is really bad for you though.

I'm not sure diet coke is really bad for you though.
It's not Diet Coke, it's the sweetener that's in it. It's in lots of stuff. In the olden days, it never would've been OK'd by the FDA. But let's not talk about how it got approved and who all was involved in that. If you like Diet Coke, you don't want to know about it anyway, so I'll shut up. If anybody's curious, you can look it up elsewhere. Google is your friend. My bride knows about medical stuff and she pointed it out to me because she was worried that I was guzzling it all the time. It was enough that I converted to making iced tea just to have something else. Which turns out to be way cheaper too. The trick is to make it right. It's incredibly easy but the exact formula varies, based on your drinking water.

Other than our opinion of the sweetener, we completely agree about Diet Coke ;-)

FWIW, my dad is an oncologist and says the carcinogenic effects of aspartame are negligible or at most marginal at the level of diet coke consumption. He says studies have been inconclusive (and some of the ones that found links to cancer had an agenda), and that the very weak evidence that does exist mostly involves extremely heavy dosage in rats. Then again, maybe he just doesn't want to believe it because he drinks diet coke also.

I would say these sources are similar to his views on the matter:

link

link2

Obviously, there are lots of sources that say it is carcinogenic, but it seems odd that both the FDA and European agencies have come to the opposite conclusion.

No directions needed, just post away.

I love a peanut-butter and honey sandwich that has sufficient honey for it to start hemorrhaging through the bread leaking out the end and dripping onto my arm - yumm but sticky.

Fixed that for you! ;):P

FWIW, my dad is an oncologist and says the carcinogenic effects of aspartame are negligible or at most marginal at the level of diet coke consumption. He says studies have been inconclusive (and some of the ones that found links to cancer had an agenda), and that the very weak evidence that does exist mostly involves extremely heavy dosage in rats. Then again, maybe he just doesn't want to believe it because he drinks diet coke also.

I would say these sources are similar to his views on the matter:

link

link2

Obviously, there are lots of sources that say it is carcinogenic, but it seems odd that both the FDA and European agencies have come to the opposite conclusion.

I imagine that your Dad is going by what some of the literature says. I don't have any reason to think he's trying to be one-sided. I'm not sure how much he knows about both sides. I also don't think it's safe to assume that Euro agencies are immune from influence either.

I think that in this particular case Wikipedia sums up both sides pretty well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy.

One summary of the FDA's process can be found here: http://www.rense.com/general33/legal.htm

The info I used to make my own decision has since been amplified... by both the pro and con sides of the issue.

But this is s'posed to be an anti-rant thread. I apologize to everyone for getting us derailed...

I should go start a rant thread on Diet Coke, because it might be the most disgusting thing I've ever drank (and that includes the Coke I got from a McDonalds in southern Georgia once that tasted like Okefenokee swamp water and made me sick for a week in Disney World).

As for PB&J, I don't eat them much, but they are GOOOOOOOOOOD. My uncle actually eats PB&P (peanut butter and pickle) sandwiches.

Just to add my own: Is there any meal better then a greasy sub and soggy fries from a sub shop?

Just to add my own: Is there any meal better then a greasy sub and soggy fries from a sub shop?

When I used to eat meat and worked down in Newport, there was a shop I'd order steak and cheese grinders from. It used to come, and the roll would be soggy with grease. They were the most delicious sandwiches ever.

my anti-rant: I love sleeping on the couch. Facing the back, with an arm draped over the back. I can fall asleep on the couch 1000x quicker than I can in any bed.

• Upvote 1

I <3 Slingbox. Whoever invented it should get a Nobel Prize as far as I'm concerned.

I love weekends full of football and sleep.

How come you need slingbox for football-and-sleep? Your TIVO lives someplace else?

How come you need slingbox for football-and-sleep? Your TIVO lives someplace else?

I had meant those two to be separate thoughts, I can see how they seemed connected though.

As for slingbox, my family's TIVO lives in Ellicott City, and I live in Philadelphia. (My brother lives in Cambridge, so I need a network that works in a place called CambriPhilidelphicott City ;) ). And in order to watch Ravens games and the regional broadcasts from Maryland (i.e. Orioles, Wizards, often the Terps), TIVO wouldn't help anyway.