Icterus galbula

Anti-Rants

Posted this near the end of the game thread tonight and realized I should have posted it here...

Just a pet peeve/mini rant...I can't stand the negative monikers for the Yankee's and Redsox (MFY's, Skanks, Suxs....etc...), it comes across like he should not be named....maybe it shouldn't bother me but it does, feels like it unnecessarily elevates those teams somehow.

/endrant

Job offer GET!

After stringing together part-time jobs and Craigslist side jobs for years to make ends meet, I finally got a job offer for a full-time position. It's a call center position at CVS, providing tech support to their store employees. Basically, it's the job I interviewed for in July but didn't get. The pay isn't super awesome, but it's a second shift job so I'll be able to go back to school in January. I'm turning 30 on Saturday, so it's nice to be on the right track for the first time in a long time.

I don't want to get political here. I can understand arguments for and against the Affordable Care Act. All I have to say is that without it, I probably would still not have insurance, would still not be on medications for depression and ADHD, and would still not be a productive member of society. So, while there are certainly issues with it, it worked for me. I'm forever grateful, and I'm sorry for those who were put in a worse position because of it.

• Upvote 1

Job offer GET!

After stringing together part-time jobs and Craigslist side jobs for years to make ends meet, I finally got a job offer for a full-time position. It's a call center position at CVS, providing tech support to their store employees. Basically, it's the job I interviewed for in July but didn't get. The pay isn't super awesome, but it's a second shift job so I'll be able to go back to school in January. I'm turning 30 on Saturday, so it's nice to be on the right track for the first time in a long time.

I don't want to get political here. I can understand arguments for and against the Affordable Care Act. All I have to say is that without it, I probably would still not have insurance, would still not be on medications for depression and ADHD, and would still not be a productive member of society. So, while there are certainly issues with it, it worked for me. I'm forever grateful, and I'm sorry for those who were put in a worse position because of it.

Right on, man! Good for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update on the new job. Started training 2 weeks ago. I go live on the phones tomorrow (with a trainer monitoring and assisting the group). Their training program is really great. There are basically five categories I'll get trained in over the next year. The first was hardware. All the calls are pre-routed, so I should (theoretically) only get hardware-related calls. There's no focus on average call time at all; they stress first-call resolution. I can't bid out of the call center for a year, but there are other positions in there that seem pretty interesting. I think I can move up to floor support within the next year, which would be good. Basically, it's a smaller group that supports the techs on the phone lines. You don't take live calls from the stores, you just talk to the techs who are on the phones.

One of the great benefits to the job so far is a massive learning system where I can take various trainings for free. They have network certification trainings (I'd still have to pay for the certification exams), programming training, etc. All of these show up on my record, so if positions open up that require certain skills, I can build them along the way. I started going through a C++ programming track, which has been good. I did some C++ in high school and college, but that was a while ago and I've forgotten quite a bit so I never really list it on my resume. This will give me the opportunity to refresh myself and document it. Pretty pumped.

• Upvote 1

I absolutely love Adam Jones. His play can be frustrating at times, but when you invest in a player, you also invest in a person. Not only does he donate a lot of money to charities, but he spends so much time and energy helping out the community. Most athletes aren't heroes, but Adam definitely is in my estimation. It's awesome to have a great human being like Adam Jones representing the team and city.

Finally an interesting dinning choice close by.

For years and years every time an even moderately interesting restaurant would open up near me, I would go in and see that they were doomed to failure.  The last time was a Tapas place that I flat out told the owner wouldn't work in my neighborhood (they closed four months later).

We got lucky this time, a small chain expanded to a small location just a couple miles down the way.

https://www.capitaltacos.com/

Went there today for lunch, without a proper road side sign or building sign the place was packed already.

Grabbed two tacos and was much pleased.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Finally an interesting dinning choice close by.

For years and years every time an even moderately interesting restaurant would open up near me, I would go in and see that they were doomed to failure.  The last time was a Tapas place that I flat out told the owner wouldn't work in my neighborhood (they closed four months later).

We got lucky this time, a small chain expanded to a small location just a couple miles down the way.

https://www.capitaltacos.com/

Went there today for lunch, without a proper road side sign or building sign the place was packed already.

Grabbed two tacos and was much pleased.

You'd love the Mexican here. Besides the numerous food trucks featuring authentic Mexican fare there are old classics like Matt's El Rancho and Dos Salsas (Tex Mex near us up north).

On 9/26/2017 at 2:51 PM, Il BuonO said:

You'd love the Mexican here. Besides the numerous food trucks featuring authentic Mexican fare there are old classics like Matt's El Rancho and Dos Salsas (Tex Mex near us up north).

Yum! I'd make you some Hatteras Clam Chowder and other local treats if you came here for vacation.