Sign in to follow this  
backwardsk

CAA thread

I hear you; CAA has been real crazy this season. Drexel with a impressive comeback over ODU.

Really thought Mason was going to be a top 25 team this year. Cam Long and Ryan Pearson have been awesome all year as was Luke Hancock before he got injured.

ACorn and Mike Mo have not been good at all; big disappointments in their junior seasons.

I hear you; CAA has been real crazy this season. Drexel with a impressive comeback over ODU.

Really thought Mason was going to be a top 25 team this year. Cam Long and Ryan Pearson have been awesome all year as was Luke Hancock before he got injured.

ACorn and Mike Mo have not been good at all; big disappointments in their junior seasons.

When did Hancock get injured? He played on Saturday.

While walking on a snowy campus, he slipped and fell on his shoulder a few days before the Duquesne game.

His shoulder is still bothering him.

Still dealing with a slight shoulder injury suffered when he slipped on the ice last month, the sophomore forward is steady and versatile.

Link 1

The Patriots may have to tweak their rotation. Starter and leading assist man Luke Hancock is questionable for the next game with a shoulder injury.

Link 2 (Injury report before last game against Georgia State.)

Got to see Mason on tv tonight. Drexel shot poorly and the Patriots routed them to stay unbeaten at home.

I thought they were a little too careless on offense after they made stops on defense. As poorly as Drexel shot and as well as GMU rebounded they could have put up a lead in the thirties.

Got to see Mason on tv tonight. Drexel shot poorly and the Patriots routed them to stay unbeaten at home.

I thought they were a little too careless on offense after they made stops on defense. As poorly as Drexel shot and as well as GMU rebounded they could have put up a lead in the thirties.

Good win for the Patriots; awful day for the officials. I really wish Mason would stop their careless play when building up leads. They can't do that tomorrow at JMU.

Big game for the Patriots; they really need to contain Bowles and Goins in the post. If Mike Mo gets into early foul trouble as he's done so often this season,

Johnny Williams is going to have to step up big for us to beat the Dukes.

Got to give props to JMU this season as well; told all my friends they would be a much improved team compared to years past but they were all non believers.

Let's go Mason!

ESPNU 11am

Looks like I missed a great game by my two alma maters. I was going to write in the previous approach that I didn't think Long was aggressive enough in looking to score. Well, he dropped 30 today for a big road win.

Congrats to the Mason fans on a big win today. JMU is a good team, but they still haven't proven they can beat the big dogs in the CAA yet. They had their chances at ODU and at home against Mason this week and couldnt win either of them.

By the way, that was the best game of Cam Long's career. What a fantastic performance. You guys won today because he was wearing a Mason jersey, not a JMU jersey.

Looking forward to the rematch in NoVa.

• Upvote 1

Thanks YardBirds. That was one of the best NCAA games I've seen all year. Sure I'm a bit biased since its Mason on the road against a very good JMU team but goodness, what a game. Cam Long 8-9 from the field, 4-4 from three, and a career high 30 points. He was unreal; his last 5 games, 21 points per game, 67% from the field.

Tate has stepped up huge as well the last 8-10 games or so, 5 for 5 off the bench including 2 huge 3 pointers. Great coaching by Coach L with the right matchups all game; Mason was in serious foul trouble with 7 fouls in the first 5 minutes or so in the first half but settled down when Mike Mo came back into the game and went on a 17-2 run thanks to Cam and Tate.

Acorn needs to find his game quick otherwise Whack and Tate will continue to see their minutes increase. Too often Cornelius’s sloppy play and quick 3 point attempts have led to too many fast break points for opponents. Long, Tate, and Hancock did a great job managing the game as Mason played what I believe to be their best game of the season. GMU had to win to be taking seriously here down the stretch.

I’m trying to figure out why Semenov didn’t get more minutes today; his minutes have gone down since JMU’s game vs. Georgia State. He could have been a huge weapon from the outside that may have changed the game in JMU’s favor. I expect Goins to get more opportunities in Fairfax as well.

Should be another tough battle come February 12!

Oh and what an awful final 5 minutes for ODU against VCU. They would find themselves down by 4 points and instead of setting up a play or looking to go inside, they were jacking up horrible 3 pointers. Joey Rodriguez with the huge 3 to ice the game.

Thanks YardBirds. That was one of the best NCAA games I've seen all year. Sure I'm a bit biased since its Mason on the road against a very good JMU team but goodness' date=' what a game. Cam Long 8-9 from the field, 4-4 from three, and a career high 30 points. He was unreal; his last 5 games, 21 points per game, 67% from the field.

Tate has stepped up huge as well the last 8-10 games or so, 5 for 5 off the bench including 2 huge 3 pointers. Great coaching by Coach L with the right matchups all game; Mason was in serious foul trouble with 7 fouls in the first 5 minutes or so in the first half but settled down when Mike Mo came back into the game and went on a 17-2 run thanks to Cam and Tate.

Acorn needs to find his game quick otherwise Whack and Tate will continue to see their minutes increase. Too often Cornelius’s sloppy play and quick 3 point attempts have led to too many fast break points for opponents. Long, Tate, and Hancock did a great job managing the game as Mason played what I believe to be their best game of the season. GMU had to win to be taking seriously here down the stretch.

[b']I’m trying to figure out why Semenov didn’t get more minutes today; his minutes have gone down since JMU’s game vs. Georgia State. He could have been a huge weapon from the outside that may have changed the game in JMU’s favor. I expect Goins to get more opportunities in Fairfax as well.[/b]

Oh and what an awful final 5 minutes for ODU against VCU. They would find themselves down by 4 points and instead of setting up a play or looking to go inside, they were jacking up horrible 3 pointers. Joey Rodriguez with the huge 3 to ice the game.

He has been battling some nagging injuries (leg and back) so Brady usually watches his minutes closely, but he also got two fouls early today so he had to sit longer than I think Brady would have liked.

The Dukes just commit too many sloppy fouls and take too many bad shots right now to beat these other really good CAA teams. Bowles is damn near unstoppable in this league on the block and he doesn't get enough credit for it but he is a really good passer for a big guy as well. Goins is a nice compliment to him but he was guilty of a lot of mistakes and bad shots today.

This core of Bowles, Goins, Wells, Hitchens, Moore, Semenov and Chad Jackson is good enough to win a lot of games, but these last two games have me wondering if they are good enough to win a CAA Tournament. They have so little depth that they really can't afford any foul trouble or injuries.

Anyways, it's nice just to have basketball matter again in Harrisonburg. That's a great step for what the program has been the last 15 years or so.

Thanks YardBirds. That was one of the best NCAA games I've seen all year. Sure I'm a bit biased since its Mason on the road against a very good JMU team but goodness' date=' what a game. Cam Long 8-9 from the field, 4-4 from three, and a career high 30 points. He was unreal; his last 5 games, 21 points per game, 67% from the field.

[b']Acorn needs to find his game quick otherwise Whack and Tate will continue to see their minutes increase. Too often Cornelius’s sloppy play and quick 3 point attempts have led to too many fast break points for opponents[/b]. Long, Tate, and Hancock did a great job managing the game as Mason played what I believe to be their best game of the season. GMU had to win to be taking seriously here down the stretch.

I’m trying to figure out why Semenov didn’t get more minutes today; his minutes have gone down since JMU’s game vs. Georgia State. He could have been a huge weapon from the outside that may have changed the game in JMU’s favor. I expect Goins to get more opportunities in Fairfax as well.

I haven't had a chance to see them play as much as I'd like to this year, but in the Drexel game the other night he scored 10 points in a relatively quick amount of time. And also had a tremendous lob to Morrison. But he scored on 4 bad shots. He made them, but they were not good shots. His threes and one running jumper were outside of the offensive set and nobody was in good rebounding position. He doesn't seem to penetrate that much. He plays decent on the ball defense. I think they're better when they have one of Whack or Tate on the floor also.

MASN had a good double header tonight. Hofstra came back from 17 down to take JMU into overtime and won by two.

Mason shut down Delaware defensively in a road route. Long followed up his 30 point game with another 20 points.