ShaneDawg85

Can Duke Run The Table?

Surprise there is no mention of the 2001 Duke team yet. Jay Williams, Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer etc. That team was loaded, and was the best Duke team in my lifetime.

I always felt that the team a few years before that ('98 maybe) was better with Langdon, Avery, Battier, Brand, Burgess, Maggette, Carrawell, Nate James.

I always felt that the team a few years before that ('98 maybe) was better with Langdon, Avery, Battier, Brand, Burgess, Maggette, Carrawell, Nate James.

Those late 90's teams certainly had a ton of talent, but Jay Williams might have been the best college basketball player in the last 15 years or so. He was unbelievable. Having him puts that team over the top, not to mention Battier at his best and a great post guy in Boozer.

Those late 90's teams certainly had a ton of talent, but Jay Williams might have been the best college basketball player in the last 15 years or so. He was unbelievable. Having him puts that team over the top, not to mention Battier at his best and a great post guy in Boozer.

They were both great teams, no doubt. I think the earlier was much deeper. I mean, they had a lottery pick as a 6 man.

The best dook team I've ever seen in my lifetime was the one that was upset by Rip Hamilton and UConn in '99. The 2001 champions with Williams, Dunleavy and Boozer are a close 2nd.

• Upvote 1

The best dook team I've ever seen in my lifetime was the one that was upset by Rip Hamilton and UConn in '99. The 2001 champions with Williams, Dunleavy and Boozer are a close 2nd.

That '99 team was SICK, good call Pedro. Maggette, Avery, and Chris Burgess was that recruiting class, right?

That '99 team was SICK, good call Pedro. Maggette, Avery, and Chris Burgess was that recruiting class, right?

Avery, Burgess, Brand and Battier were all in the class that started at Duke in '97-'98. Magette came the following year. After the '98-'99 run, Brand, Avery and Maggette went into the draft and Burgess transferred. Coach K reloaded with Williams, Dunleavy and Boozer the following year.

Avery, Burgess, Brand and Battier were all in the class that started at Duke in '97-'98. Magette came the following year. After the '98-'99 run, Brand, Avery and Maggette went into the draft and Burgess transferred. Coach K reloaded with Williams, Dunleavy and Boozer the following year.

Thanks.

Just an absolute monster run on talent in that era.

Thanks.

Just an absolute monster run on talent in that era.

And only one title...Losing to Kentucky, UCONN and Indiana in the late 90s early 2000s was very crushing for me.

Should have won at least 1 more title.

And only one title...Losing to Kentucky, UCONN and Indiana in the late 90s early 2000s was very crushing for me.

Yes...but that 2010 title kind of takes the sting out. Clearly the least talented of the Duke teams that have won.

That's funny how spoiled we get...I loved the '93, '05, and '09 Carolina championship teams of course, but still get upset about the '95 team (Sheed & Stack) and the '97 and '98 teams with Vince and Antawn that lost in the Final Four. The 2007 Elite Eight loss to Georgetown and Final Four disaster in 2008 vs. Kansas still haunt me.

This Duke team reminds me of what you said to me before the '08-09 season..You'll be disappointed with anything less than a title, right?

Yes...but that 2010 title kind of takes the sting out. Clearly the least talented of the Duke teams that have won.

It was the least talented, but the '91 team wasn't expected to win it all, as dominant as UNLV was that year..

That Final Four game remains the only time I've ever rooted for Duke. I retired 1-0.

That final should've been Carolina/Duke, but we couldn't beat Kansas. Can you guys imagine that being the National championship game. The Ultimate bragging rights.

That's funny how spoiled we get...I loved the '93, '05, and '09 Carolina championship teams of course, but still get upset about the '95 team (Sheed & Stack) and the '97 and '98 teams with Vince and Antawn that lost in the Final Four. The 2007 Elite Eight loss to Georgetown and Final Four disaster in 2008 vs. Kansas still haunt me.

This Duke team reminds me of what you said to me before the '08-09 season..You'll be disappointed with anything less than a title, right?

Yea probably...I need to see how some of the other teams develop but Duke should win..provided they stay healthy(I see Irving isn't playing on Wed but I don't think its a big deal). The other thing I need to see, as the season goes on, is the continued development of the Plumlees. If they don't develop more, then this team probably won't win the tourney.

I think Kansas is going to be really good and should be their chief competition.

This Duke team reminds me of what [sG] said to me before the '08-09 season..You'll be disappointed with anything less than a title, right?

Yea probably...I need to see how some of the other teams develop but Duke should win..provided they stay healthy(I see Irving isn't playing on Wed but I don't think its a big deal). The other thing I need to see, as the season goes on, is the continued development of the Plumlees. If they don't develop more, then this team probably won't win the tourney.

I think Kansas is going to be really good and should be their chief competition.

I thought the '86 Duke team was better than Louisville. I thought the '88 and '89 teams were better than the teams that won the title. I was disappointed when Arkansas hit a well-defended buzzer beater to beat Duke in the '94 final. I was bummed that the '99 team lost to UConn. I saw the Blue Devils blow a late lead to UConn in the national semifinal in '04 by making some big mistakes in the final two minutes. So yes, in a sense I'm not satisfied that Duke has won "only" four titles under Coach K. At the same time, I've come to appreciate just how hard it is to run that 6-game gauntlet they call the NCAA tournament. The '91 team wasn't as good as UNLV. The '92 team escaped the Kentucky game on Laettner's miracle shot (which meant I really couldn't gripe about that Arkansas shot in '04). The '01 team benefitted from a non-call on a play that could have put Jay Williams in serious foul trouble in the first half of the championship game against Arizona. And last year's team narrowly escaped that final shot from Heyward that would have taken the Laettner shot off the top of the highlight reel.

So, yes, I will be very disappointed if this Duke team does anything less than win the title. But I know full well that winning the whole thing is very, very difficult and there is truly no such thing as an "odds on" favorite when March arrives. You have to get the breaks, no matter how good your team is.

I thought the '86 Duke team was better than Louisville. I thought the '88 and '89 teams were better than the teams that won the title. I was disappointed when Arkansas hit a well-defended buzzer beater to beat Duke in the '94 final. I was bummed that the '99 team lost to UConn. I saw the Blue Devils blow a late lead to UConn in the national semifinal in '04 by making some big mistakes in the final two minutes. So yes, in a sense I'm not satisfied that Duke has won "only" four titles under Coach K. At the same time, I've come to appreciate just how hard it is to run that 6-game gauntlet they call the NCAA tournament. The '91 team wasn't as good as UNLV. The '92 team escaped the Kentucky game on Laettner's miracle shot (which meant I really couldn't gripe about that Arkansas shot in '04). The '01 team benefitted from a non-call on a play that could have put Jay Williams in serious foul trouble in the first half of the championship game against Arizona. And last year's team narrowly escaped that final shot from Heyward that would have taken the Laettner shot off the top of the highlight reel.

So, yes, I will be very disappointed if this Duke team does anything less than win the title. But I know full well that winning the whole thing is very, very difficult and there is truly no such thing as an "odds on" favorite when March arrives. You have to get the breaks, no matter how good your team is.

The '88 and '89 teams just ran into buzzsaws in the Final Four. That Kansas team just wasn't losing to anyone, and Seton Hall shot the lights out that day. Your 1994 wasn't supposed to be that good if I remember correctly, with only Grant Hill left from the back to back teams of '91/92. One of Coach K's better coaching years if memory serves. Jeff Capel was a Freshman PG on that team I think.

Good thread this has turned into..

The '88 and '89 teams just ran into buzzsaws in the Final Four. That Kansas team just wasn't losing to anyone, and Seton Hall shot the lights out that day. Your 1994 wasn't supposed to be that good if I remember correctly, with only Grant Hill left from the back to back teams of '91/92. One of Coach K's better coaching years if memory serves. Jeff Capel was a Freshman PG on that team I think.

Good thread this has turned into..

By the way, the '77 UNC team that had four Olympians was, in my opinion, better than Al McGuire's Marquettte team that beat them. Mitch Kupchak, Tom LaGarde, Walter Davis, Phil Ford, and for good measure, Michael O'Koren. Maybe that was before your time, but for me, it was the year before I transferred to Duke (from a Div. III school) and I got to see Ford, O'Koren and many other players on that team in person.