mweb

The NBA Thread

We are nearing the halfway point in the season and its been an interesting one so I'd figured I'd get some discussion going for the 7 or so NBA fans on here.:D

- How about the Spurs? Most including myself counted this core or talent out in terms of being title contenders, but they have an absurd 29-4 record. Duncan has mostly taken a back seat and the team is being lead by Manu, but they have a very balanced offense with no one scoring 19 points a game.

- After a rough start the Heat have been tremendous and look like one of the favorites to win it all. Getting Miller back to his normal self will be big for them.

- The Celtics once again look like a great team who play suffocating D and have a very balanced offensive attack.

- Orlando is looking quite strong after the big shake-up. They may be back to being a real contender.

- The Lakers are really struggling and one has to wonder if the defending champs and favorites to repeat at the beginning of the season are now long-shots for the title. Kobe is declining, Bynum is a still coming back from injury and hard to count on, Artest is having a poor year as is Fisher, and Gasol was tired out some by playing so much when Drew was out and currently isn't getting enough shots. Odom has played quite well though.

- The Mavs are the other team that is having a very good season although they've slowed down of late and now Butler is out for the year and Dirk is hurt. Dirk is having another great year and they have a lot of good supporting players even without Butler.

- Utah, OKC, and Chicago are the other teams that seem like they have an outside chance at making the Finals.

This is how I'd rank the teams chances at winning the title:

Boston

Miami

San Antonio

LAL

Orlando

Dallas

Chicago

OKC

Utah

One last thing: How about Blake Griffin? The guy is very exciting and is playing some great basketball!

Edited by mweb
  • Upvote 1

Agree with pretty much everything you said. And yeah, Blake Griffin is a pleasure to watch. I expected he would be good, but nothing like this.

I think Chicago is a dark horse to make something happen in the playoffs. The combination of Rose/Boozer/Noah is pretty impressive and Deng has had a nice season as well. As long as Noah transitions well back from his injury, I could see them making some noise.

The Lake Show looks to be in trouble to me, but I felt the same way about the Celtics last season, and look what they did when it counted. I still feel like the Lakers will somehow manage to win the West and get to the finals, but it's more of a hunch now, whereas before I thought it was a certainty.

The Magic look impressive and IMO they're an easy team to root for. You've got Dwight, who is the best personality in the league. Arenas and Turkoglu are playing like kids again, thankful to get out of their respective situations. Redick, as much as I hated him at Duke, as worked his ass off to become a really solid NBA player, and I respect him a lot for that. Jameer has always been the little guy from the little school. It's just sort of a cool team IMO.

The NBA has been good this year. I'm really looking forward to the playoffs.

I say put a fork in Boston. If KG has a lingering injury that is. I don't hate them, but I don't think they have it. San Antonio is really good this year and so is Dallas. If the playoffs come down to Miami and LA I hope a new rule is invoked where both teams can lose and be banned from the league for 10 years.

• Upvote 1

On a different note, there were plenty of people who said Cleveland's roster wasn't that bad other than LeBron, yet now without him they have the worst record in the league.:D

Pretty good evidence that LeBron was worthy of those MVP's imo.

On a different note, there were plenty of people who said Cleveland's roster wasn't that bad other than LeBron, yet now without him they have the worst record in the league.:D

Pretty good evidence that LeBron was worthy of those MVP's imo.

This.

Any anti LeBron sentiment about his play is beyond laughable.

The highlight of my NBA fan season was tonight, when Tyler Hansbrough put up 23 and 12 boards in his first start. And Ray Felton's first triple double!! :hearts:

I'll do a personal top 5 MVP candidates and potential NBA champs thing this weekend. Good stuff as always Web.

Edited by beaner

This.

Any anti LeBron sentiment about his play is beyond laughable.

The highlight of my NBA fan season was tonight, when Tyler Hansbrough put up 23 and 12 boards in his first start. And Ray Felton's first triple double!! :hearts:

I'll do a personal top 5 MVP candidates and potential NBA champs thing this weekend. Good stuff as always Web.

What happened to this?

Anyway, I'll be curious to read your take.

BTW, I think there may be a new debate concerning your boy Durant, and it's not if he's the best player in the league because he's clearly not imo, but whether he's the best player on his own team. Westbrook is really really good. He actually has a little better PER than Durant.

My top 5 current MVP candidates:

1. LeBron James

2. Dwight Howard

3. Chris Paul

4. Deron Williams

5. Amare Stoudemire

Honorable mention to Dwyane Wade, Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose and Kevin Love

Top 5 teams (with best odds to win NBA title):

1. Miami Heat

2. Orlando Magic

3. Boston Celtics

4. Los Angeles Lakers

5. San Antonio Spurs

I'll stick with my Lakers Heat prediction but I now feel the Heat will beat them.

What happened to this?

Anyway, I'll be curious to read your take.

BTW, I think there may be a new debate concerning your boy Durant, and it's not if he's the best player in the league because he's clearly not imo, but whether he's the best player on his own team. Westbrook is really really good. He actually has a little better PER than Durant.

I'm on it..thanks for the reminder.

Yea, Westbrook is awesome. I still want the ball in Durant's hand if I need to score down the stretch, but point is taken on RW.

1-Deron Williams

2-LeBron James

3-Amare

4-Dirk Nowitski

5-Derrick Rose

6-Russell Westbrook

7-Kevin Love

8-Dwight Howard

9-Chris Paul

1,396-Andray Blatche

I'm on it..thanks for the reminder.

Yea, Westbrook is awesome. I still want the ball in Durant's hand if I need to score down the stretch, but point is taken on RW.

Sure, Durant is still the better scorer obviously.

It seems like he's regressed some this year though. Everyone seemed to be fawning over him after his stint with Team USA and him being the anti-LeBron with how he handled extending with the Thunder; however he hasn't taken that leap to arguably the best player like many seemed to think he would.

In fact, he's not getting to the line as much, he's shooting 3's at a lower %, his rebounds are down 1.4 a game, his PER is down by a decent margin, and none of his others numbers have really improved. Plus, the Thunder haven't quite become the elite team that some were predicting them to be.

1-Deron Williams

2-LeBron James

3-Amare

4-Dirk Nowitski

5-Derrick Rose

6-Russell Westbrook

7-Kevin Love

8-Dwight Howard

9-Chris Paul

1,396-Andray Blatche

Interesting that the guy you have #1 isn't even in my top 10, although he'd likely be next. And my #2 is only #9 on your list. Clearly we have a difference of opinion on the top PG's.

Love is having a tremendous year that should be honored with an AS appearance, but I have a hard time putting him on my MVP list considering how bad his team is. Plus, I don't think he's having a much better season, if better at all then any of the guys on our lists.

Why no Wade or Kobe? And why is Howard so low?

Interesting that the guy you have #1 isn't even in my top 10, although he'd likely be next. And my #2 is only #9 on your list. Clearly we have a difference of opinion on the top PG's.

Love is having a tremendous year that should be honored with an AS appearance, but I have a hard time putting him on my MVP list considering how bad his team is. Plus, I don't think he's having a much better season, if better at all then any of the guys on our lists.

Why no Wade or Kobe? And why is Howard so low?

I'm concerned about Paul's knees, I don't think he looks the same. Hope it's not another Brandon Roy situation in the making. I think Williams is insanely good, and he's been so impressive this year.

I guess Howard should be higher, I did this on the fly, without numbers in front of me.