Cruz has quietly been horrible since June 1st

McLovin

What a difference a hot start makes... But he has been OPSing at about a .650 clip since June 1st.

He has been particularly horrible since the ASB:

.102/.184.398

Schoop, for reference:

.152/.333/.510

That's not going to get it done. In fact, as terrible as Schoop looked against the Angels, Cruz looked just as bad.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From the group of Cruz, Davis, Schoop/Flaherty, and Joseph/Hundley, at least one of those positions needs to start producing or it's hard to imagine we'll be able to sustain our winning %.

I agree. We won't. We can't just pitch our way to the championship.

Without a doubt it will be tough on the team to score if both Cruz and Davis continue to struggle. I like the idea of giving Lough some more ABs here down the stretch as well so they can start getting days off if they don't start producing.

Last night was tough to watch. Usually we are a good team at making adjustments during the game which I think is why we score a lot of late runs. In the game last night guys like Hardy, Machado, Pearce and and Cruz continued to try and pull pitch after pitch when the Angels pitchers were throwing basically only outside fastballs and sliders. It seems Cruz has moved off the plate a bit lately and he is not foing to rightfield at all. He had one down the first base line lastnight but he was not driving it that way just happened to hit it there as he pullled off.

Alot of Orioles are in slumps.

Nick Markakis in July: .231 Avg. .292 .OBP 1 Homer and 8 RBI's Last seven games: .115 Avg

JJ Hardy:in July: .208 AVG .255 .OBP 2 homers 12 RBI's

Most of the Orioles are not hitting. Schoop. Hundley, Flaherty, Pierce and Machado have also cooled off a little the past week. The Orioles need to pick it up to stay ahead of the Jays and Yankees. Markakis and Hardy also look a little tired. Markakis did not run out two balls very hard in the Angel series. You can give both of them a day off sometimes. Do we have to play them every day?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Where is Max Wagner by the way? Is he hurt? 
    • Speaking of Wagner, where is he?   Apparently out with an injury of some kind...?    Aberdeen is also known as a tough place on hitters for some reason.  I wonder if it's sight lines or wind or something.   Many bats go there to die.....
    • Jack Leiter looks good but I can't help but notice how often he's a) blowing on his hand, then b) either licking his fingers or going to the back of his head to wipe stuff off his hair.  I suppose this is legal enough, but he's got excellent control (3 BB to 25 K in AAA this season) and one could only hope our guys have figured out a way to get good grip on the ball like this, to give them better control (or at least increase their spin rates) as well. `\_(")_/`
    • Have the same poll up on twitter. So far, with 79 votes, it’s 51% under , 49% over. So, OH i more pessimistic so far. Surprising result to me.
    • Sticking with my 2.2 to 2.3mm. Most people in the flex are going to the cheapest plan and be about  10 to 15 games depending on seat location. So the 9,000 is about 1/8th of that number for the season. Just like Biirdland memberships might have increased by 6,000 or so from last year but 96 %  or so are 13 game plans.Still you have added say about 3,000 extra tickets per game. They will definitely have a nice increase but 2.2? 2.3? A little higher,we shall see. Hard to figure out if the flex and season holders would have come to 7 or 8 games anyhow. Have to average about 32,233 for the rest of the home games to get to around 2.5mm Possibly but most likely not.
    • To be clear, I don't think he's going to get sent down.  But the reality is he will need to pick up the pace relatively significantly to even get to the Cal bar.  He's on pace for 5 or 6-for-104 right now, with a million K's in there.  Again, not saying that will continue, I highly doubt it does.  I'm just curious HOW bad it would have to get before they'd send him down. I also don't think he's necessarily shown that he's mastered AAA pitching, as someone else posited. He's hit well there but it wasn't a lot of games, and half the ones from this year were against a team that seems it shouldn't even be in AAA its so bad.  I'd be curious how far his stats would have dropped in AAA if he'd stayed, the way the rest of the guys have evened off. All of which is to say, he's here, and I am pretty confident he's staying almost regardless, but I am curious where the line for breaching that 'almost' is.
    • Everyone should heed this rule, unless we're talking about Jackson Holliday.  And then it's out the window.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now