Anyone notice the minor league teams are playing like crap!

Gurgi

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't care about W/L record I care about the handful of guys on each team that have a chance to make it to Baltimore.

Absolutely right. Winning records are icing on the cake, but the cake is D. Bundy, Lino, Delmonico, Esposito, G. Davis, Reutigger, Rodriguez, Bridwell, Wright, Mummey, Hoes, Avery etal..

I don't care about W/L record I care about the handful of guys on each team that have a chance to make it to Baltimore.
Absolutely right. Winning records are icing on the cake, but the cake is D. Bundy, Lino, Delmonico, Esposito, G. Davis, Reutigger, Rodriguez, Bridwell, Wright, Mummey, Hoes, Avery etal..

After hearing this argument for 10 years in a row, I flatly disagree. Show me a MiL organization that routinely loses more games than it wins, and I will show you an organization that doesn't have very good depth. And that's the Orioles' MiL system.

After hearing this argument for 10 years in a row, I flatly disagree. Show me a MiL organization that routinely loses more games than it wins, and I will show you an organization that doesn't have very good depth. And that's the Orioles' MiL system.

What about that Bowie team of "winners" from a few years ago? How did that work out when they made it to the majors in 2010?

It is about talent pure and simple.

What about that Bowie team of "winners" from a few years ago? How did that work out when they made it to the majors in 2010?

It is about talent pure and simple.

Yeah, and the Keys won the Mills Cup not that long ago, and I think it was after most of the top prospects had moved through.

I don't think the records are meaningless, but I don't think they're very important, either.

Yeah, and the Keys won the Mills Cup not that long ago, and I think it was after most of the top prospects had moved through.

I don't think the records are meaningless, but I don't think they're very important, either.

Are you talking about last year when they won it or 2007, or 2005?

Norfolk looked good on paper. A lot of guys (Miller, Hoffman, Adams, Bergesen) are underperforming.

That's right. When they're moved down from the big club, they actually do worse. Instead of busting their butts to show that the demotion was a mistake and giving reason for a quick return, is it that they sulk and stop trying as hard? If so, perhaps that's part of the defeatest Oriole culture of recent years, which I hope Buck will change: no more promotions just because a certain player has been annointed as a future big leaguer. Back to a healthier, real world outlook where the player's performance at AAA demands a shot at MLB.

However, I hate to say it -- and there can always be the sleeper and late bloomer who is overlooked -- but I don't see any impressive candidates for the big leagues in the Orioles minor league system other than Dylan Bundy. Machado has been much hyped, but I've seen him play and am not impressed, especially with his attitude and effort. Native talent is not enough. Take a look at his unimpressive numbers in the minor leagues so far. How long can the hypers go on explaining them away?

That's right. When they're moved down from the big club, they actually do worse. Instead of busting their butts to show that the demotion was a mistake and giving reason for a quick return, is it that they sulk and stop trying as hard? If so, perhaps that's part of the defeatest Oriole culture of recent years, which I hope Buck will change: no more promotions just because a certain player has been annointed as a future big leaguer. Back to a healthier, real world outlook where the player's performance at AAA demands a shot at MLB.

However, I hate to say it -- and there can always be the sleeper and late bloomer who is overlooked -- but I don't see any impressive candidates for the big leagues in the Orioles minor league system other than Dylan Bundy. Machado has been much hyped, but I've seen him play and am not impressed, especially with his attitude and effort. Native talent is not enough. Take a look at his unimpressive numbers in the minor leagues so far. How long can the hypers go on explaining them away?

Hes one of the youngest (and maybe THE youngest) players at this level. That's a huge deal.

Hes one of the youngest (and maybe THE youngest) players at this level. That's a huge deal.

That's true and a valid consideration. His attitude could also be just an immaturity that will change. But I can't help comparing him with Bryce Harper whose intense focus and competitive attitude at the same age -- combined with his talent -- has already got him to the major leagues. At the moment Machado is an average player at double A.

That's true and a valid consideration. His attitude could also be just an immaturity that will change. But I can't help comparing him with Bryce Harper whose intense focus and competitive attitude at the same age -- combined with his talent -- has already got him to the major leagues. At the moment Machado is an average player at double A.

Would you care to elaborate on these attitude and immaturity issues you are witnessing with Machado?

Would you care to elaborate on these attitude and immaturity issues you are witnessing with Machado?

Sure. This is not based on a lot -- certainly not on any inside info from coaches,etc -- so I could certainly be wrong. But do you ever have a quick impression of a person, or a player, that's strong enough that you just can't dismiss it? I've seen him play in 3 games only -- last year and the year before -- but in one game particularly last year, he starts off making an error at shortstop, and the pattern continues throughout the game: he makes other errors and misplays not officially judged as such. What most struck me is that he didn't respond in a healthy way -- he didn't look at all bothered by any of his poor plays at the time, and even worse he didn't seem to be focusing more in future chances to get a different result. I've rarely seen these two "indifferent" responses together in a player. They mostly care about their performance, and you can see them being especially focused on approaching a ground ball in the right way this time when they just casualed it and let it run up their arm and hurt their team an inning ago. But from Machado no apparent chagrin or apparent attempt to remedy his problem in future chances. To me, that was a very bad sign, even in a very young player.

Sure. This is not based on a lot -- certainly not on any inside info from coaches,etc -- so I could certainly be wrong. But do you ever have a quick impression of a person, or a player, that's strong enough that you just can't dismiss it? I've seen him play in 3 games only -- last year and the year before -- but in one game particularly last year, he starts off making an error at shortstop, and the pattern continues throughout the game: he makes other errors and misplays not officially judged as such. What most struck me is that he didn't respond in a healthy way -- he didn't look at all bothered by any of his poor plays at the time, and even worse he didn't seem to be focusing more in future chances to get a different result. I've rarely seen these two "indifferent" responses together in a player. They mostly care about their performance, and you can see them being especially focused on approaching a ground ball in the right way this time when they just casualed it and let it run up their arm and hurt their team an inning ago. But from Machado no apparent chagrin or apparent attempt to remedy his problem in future chances. To me, that was a very bad sign, even in a very young player.

Thanks for the elaboration.

This is the first negative thing about Machado's makeup I have heard so I will have to take it with a grain of salt.

Archived