+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sdmarkakis is offline Plus Member since 7/10 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation

Schoop to Frederick?

Wow, is this just an end of the season thing or do they think he can start their next year? I assumed there'd be an issue with him because Delmarva seemed like a likely destination except for the combo of Givens/Machado/Narron blocking him out. Any thoughts? He's had a great season.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmarkakis View Post
    Wow, is this just an end of the season thing or do they think he can start their next year? I assumed there'd be an issue with him because Delmarva seemed like a likely destination except for the combo of Givens/Machado/Narron blocking him out. Any thoughts? He's had a great season.
    I'm lost here, did Schoop get promoted?

Quote Originally Posted by QBsILLEST1 View Post
    I'm lost here, did Schoop get promoted?
    Adam Vencill says so in the Prospect Tracker tonight.

Re: where he starts next season, I imagine they'll make that decision in March.

RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Frederick would be quite a jump but offensively he might not be overmatched because of his plate discipline, namely his ability to make contact. After being pretty solid defensively in the GCL, he's made a ton of errors at Bluefield, although he's been better of late.

sdmarkakis is offline Plus Member since 7/10 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation
    How is his defense? Does he project to stick at shortstop?

Quote Originally Posted by sdmarkakis View Post
    How is his defense? Does he project to stick at shortstop?
    Here's a detailed scouting report. http://oriolesprospects.com/2010/07/...outing-report/ They seem to think it's likely he eventually moves to 3B, but there's a chance he stays at SS. I recall reading an article from a couple weeks ago saying he's made quite a few spectacular plays at SS. He's just 18 and he's not a little guy (listed at 6'1 187), so he's large to project as a SS 5 years from now. Like RZ said, he makes contact - only 21 SO's (and 19 walks) in 240 plate appearances this year. It's exciting to see an 18 year old SS hitting well and already at Frederick. When's the last time we had an 18 year old prospect at Frederick?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruzious View Post
    Here's a detailed scouting report. http://oriolesprospects.com/2010/07/...outing-report/ They seem to think it's likely he eventually moves to 3B, but there's a chance he stays at SS. I recall reading an article from a couple weeks ago saying he's made quite a few spectacular plays at SS. He's just 18 and he's not a little guy (listed at 6'1 187), so he's large to project as a SS 5 years from now. Like RZ said, he makes contact - only 21 SO's (and 19 walks) in 240 plate appearances this year. It's exciting to see an 18 year old SS hitting well and already at Frederick. When's the last time we had an 18 year old prospect at Frederick?
    Looking at the pics and video, I'd have guessed closer to 170 pounds. He's still a kid in the upper body.

Gotta love that contact rate.

AVencill is offline Minor League Editor All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Well here's an interesting turn of events. In the bottom of the second inning, Brian Conley seemed to injure an ankle as he tried to hurdle over Kinston's catcher. Guess who heads to left field??? You guessed it, Jonathan Schoop. After 121 games at shortstop and one at third, Schoop took to the wild unknown as he made his debut in the field... in the outfield, playing left field for Conley.

Quote Originally Posted by AVencill View Post
    Well here's an interesting turn of events. In the bottom of the second inning, Brian Conley seemed to injure an ankle as he tried to hurdle over Kinston's catcher. Guess who heads to left field??? You guessed it, Jonathan Schoop. After 121 games at shortstop and one at third, Schoop took to the wild unknown as he made his debut in the field... in the outfield, playing left field for Conley.
    Gotta love a kid that will do whatever it takes during his opportunity.

I'm really glad I arbitrarily decided to like Schoop at the beginning of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BRob51 View Post
    I'm really glad I arbitrarily decided to like Schoop at the beginning of this year.
    HAHA me too..... Its making us look smart

AVencill is offline Minor League Editor All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar1579 View Post
    Gotta love a kid that will do whatever it takes during his opportunity.
    Even weirder is that he played more than two-thirds of the game in left and never had a chance to catch a fly ball or field a base hit.

I'm a big fan of his speed because for a guy his size he flies down to first base and hustles through the base instead of "dog it" two-thirds of the way up the line.

At the plate, he's got some growing up to do. He's swinging at everything and swinging at awful sliders well off the plate. For the youngest player of the league, he's being treated like a dog by opposing pitchers.

But I realize he's 18 and has had a helluva year between the GCL O's-Bluefield and this cup of coffee with a playoff run is going to get him ready for hopefully an even bigger 2011.

Schoop's likely in the lineup tomorrow at DH as Gomez will put Bobby Stevens in left field. Didn't get a chance to see Conley, but he left the clubhouse with an ACE bandage around his foot, an ankle brace and crutches. Not a good sign as the Keys are back to 2 healthy outfielders again.

Stotle is online now Hangout Scouting Contributor Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by AVencill View Post
    I'm a big fan of his speed because for a guy his size he flies down to first base and hustles through the base instead of "dog it" two-thirds of the way up the line.
    What kind of times does he clock, generally?

Quote Originally Posted by Stotle View Post
    What kind of times does he clock, generally?
    I had him at 4.29 and 4.35 in the GCL (around July 15).

Quote Originally Posted by oriolesprospects View Post
    I had him at 4.29 and 4.35 in the GCL (around July 15).
    Wow. Nothing like an informed, definitive answer within a few minutes after the question appears.

Color me impressed, my plus-repped friend.