Great Days in BirdLand

fansince1988

While flipping back and forth Monday night between the O's and Ravens games I was curious when the last time that both teams won on the same day so I did a little research*.

The two teams have played regular season games on the same day 27 times since the Ravens came to Baltimore in 1996. Both teams have won on the same day 10 times, and prior to Monday it had not been done since 2007.

Oddly enough on Sept 30, 2001 the Ravens defeated the Broncos and the O's played to a 1-1 tie with the Yankees. Does any one recall this tie game?

Here is a breakdown of the Wins on the same day:

9/13/98

9/26/99

9/24/00

10/1/00

9/14/03

9/26/04

10/2/05

9/17/06

9/16/07

9/13/10

*My research is not scientific and may be inaccurate or incomplete.

• Upvote 1

Oddly enough on Sept 30, 2001 the Ravens defeated the Broncos and the O's played to a 1-1 tie with the Yankees. Does any one recall this tie game?

I not only recall it, I recapped it!

It was at Yankee Stadium and was scheduled to be the last game of Cal Ripken's career, so tons of people paid big money for tickets...but then 9/11 happened, and a week of games was postponed and shifted to the end of the season, so this was just his last road game. And he went 0-for-7.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Does anyone remember the O's and Yankees on June 23, 1964 that the O's were trailing 7-2 in the 8th inning and the O's erupted for 7 runs to go ahead 9-7 and won 9-8?   One of my childhood most exciting game. The O's were in a 3 team race with the Yankees and the White Sox for first place.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL196406230.shtml

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2023 at 2:36 PM, oriolediehard said:

Does anyone remember the O's and Yankees on June 23, 1964 that the O's were trailing 7-2 in the 8th inning and the O's erupted for 7 runs to go ahead 9-7 and won 9-8?   One of my childhood most exciting game. The O's were in a 3 team race with the Yankees and the White Sox for first place.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL196406230.shtml

Yes, I remember the game.

I was an Oriole fan living in the Albany, NY area at the time.  One of the local TV stations, which normally carried Yankees games on Sunday, decided to pick up  five or six weeknight telecasts of Yankees games.  This was the first of them.  I didn't get to see the Orioles very often, so this was a real treat for me.

I was ecstatic beyond words when the Orioles had that comeback from so far behind. 

I remember trying to figure out who the winning pitcher was, and finally realizing it was Chuck Estrada, who was trying (not very successfully) to recover the promise he had shown in his first couple of seasons in Baltimore.  He gave up three runs in three innings, but was still the pitcher of record when the Orioles mounted their rally.

That was the last game Estrada would win in an Oriole uniform.