+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    20,761

    #10 Prospect - RHP Matt Hobgood



  2. #2
    RZNJ's Avatar
    RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    15,761
    The writeup sounds more optimistic than the ranking.

    The Pros

    1. Throws a heavy fastball.
    2. Flashed 92-94 at times
    3. Still has a high ceiling
    4. Just turned 20 in August


    The Cons

    1. Threw 87-91 most of the time
    2. Was too heavy and out of shape

    Seems to me that the Cons might be related. I actually consider the report to be a good one. I think I'm going to be surprised by 2 or 3 guys rated ahead of Hobgood.

  3. #3
    Sports Guy's Avatar
    Sports Guy is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    43,230
    The best thing you can say about Hobgood is that he is really young.

  4. #4
    RZNJ's Avatar
    RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    15,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post
    The best thing you can say about Hobgood is that he is really young.
    No, that's the best thing you can say about him.

  5. #5
    Sports Guy's Avatar
    Sports Guy is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    43,230
    Quote Originally Posted by RZNJ View Post
    No, that's the best thing you can say about him.
    Well, he does have a good amount of cash in his bank account too!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,296
    What I also see as a con is the fact that he supposedly had one of the best hooks of his HS crop, and now it looks very inconsistent. Also, the fact that his changeup hasn't come along as much as hoped for. His BAA isn't as bad as you'd think and he didn't give up a bunch of HRs which is great, especially with the good GO/AO. IMO that K rate(which an improvement of would have a huge trickle down effect as far as his effectiveness is concerned) is whats holding him back. In order for that K rate to improve, we will definitely need to hope for better conditioning to get the FB consistently into the 92-94 range, but also the curveball will have to get back to being a true "plus" pitch which it probably hasn't been since turning pro.

    I know the O's did some changes with his mechanics, so maybe his lack of stuff has something more to do with our coaching staff trying to change his mechanics too much, especially on the front side(trying to quiet his landing)...

  7. #7
    LookinUp's Avatar
    LookinUp is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bubble
    Posts
    6,078
    Matt Cain was drafted in 2002. Just saying.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,041
    It's a weaker top 10 than last year and Hobgood has too much talent to be ranked this low, IMO.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,296
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiers View Post
    It's a weaker top 10 than last year and Hobgood has too much talent to be ranked this low, IMO.
    I disagree, his talent that he has shown thus far in the MiL wasn't what it was in HS. Now, his potential is pretty high, but so are others who are gonna be pretty far down the list. We know he is capable of throwing 92-94 because he has shown it in the past, but there is no guarantee that he does get his FB consistently back into that range. Also, his curve which was his best weapon has not looked as good consistently.

    Last year when he was drafted and pitched in Bluefield, we heard his velo was down and were told it was because he was out of shape. This had us a bit worried, but hoped that the 2010 season would be big for him because he would have an offseason to work out and get back into shape. He came into the 2010 season in not the best shape, but most troubling, still without the good FB velocity. So, now you gotta really be worried if it is something else other than the conditioning, if it is the conditioning, then why isn't be busting his but to get into shape? Until he shows what we heard he can do, he is going to have a lot of critics.....
    Last edited by QBsILLEST1; 11-01-2010 at 01:17 AM.

  10. #10
    DuffMan's Avatar
    DuffMan is offline Plus Member Since 10/06 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Linthicum
    Posts
    5,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post
    The best thing you can say about Hobgood is that he is really young.
    I feel like that was said about Billy Rowell as well. Let's hope next off season we still aren't saying "well he's young for the level he's at".

  11. #11
    Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bethesda MD
    Posts
    35,828
    I haven't made my own top 10 list, but 10th seems about right for Hobgood. He just didn't do enough to deserve to be ranked any higher. Next year I bet he'll either be top 5 or out of the top 20, depending on whether he shows up in shape and pitches to his potential or not.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    20,761
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiers View Post
    It's a weaker top 10 than last year and Hobgood has too much talent to be ranked this low, IMO.
    I understand that line of thinking, but you have to understand how his stuff didn't show up very often last year. I have many reports of scouts going to see him and see him sit in the 88-90 range with an inconsistent curve and limited changeup. He flashed his promise occasionally but that also seemed to correspond with a shorter outing.

    He almost gets an incomplete because we really need to see if he can get himself into better shape this off season and how that plays next year. His inability to miss bats is a concern and if he didn't have such a lofty draft status he might not be in the top ten at all.

    I know scouts who don't have him in the O's top 10 so if anything, I'm more bullish on him then some others. Basically I'm giving him a mulligan for last year and will wait to see how he does next year.

    The stuff has to improve and hopefully it will with a new found commitment to his conditioning and weight control. I've heard he plans to spend all winter working at one of the top sports fitness facilities and if he comes back in great shape, we could see the guy Jordan saw late in his high school season.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Hung on for the ride.
    Posts
    61,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-OH View Post
    I understand that line of thinking, but you have to understand how his stuff didn't show up very often last year. I have many reports of scouts going to see him and see him sit in the 88-90 range with an inconsistent curve and limited changeup. He flashed his promise occasionally but that also seemed to correspond with a shorter outing.

    He almost gets an incomplete because we really need to see if he can get himself into better shape this off season and how that plays next year. His inability to miss bats is a concern and if he didn't have such a lofty draft status he might not be in the top ten at all.

    I know scouts who don't have him in the O's top 10 so if anything, I'm more bullish on him then some others. Basically I'm giving him a mulligan for last year and will wait to see how he does next year.

    The stuff has to improve and hopefully it will with a new found commitment to his conditioning and weight control. I've heard he plans to spend all winter working at one of the top sports fitness facilities and if he comes back in great shape, we could see the guy Jordan saw late in his high school season.
    I hope so, I am glad I have listened to your opinions enough to guess this one correctly.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-OH View Post
    I understand that line of thinking, but you have to understand how his stuff didn't show up very often last year. I have many reports of scouts going to see him and see him sit in the 88-90 range with an inconsistent curve and limited changeup. He flashed his promise occasionally but that also seemed to correspond with a shorter outing.

    He almost gets an incomplete because we really need to see if he can get himself into better shape this off season and how that plays next year. His inability to miss bats is a concern and if he didn't have such a lofty draft status he might not be in the top ten at all.

    I know scouts who don't have him in the O's top 10 so if anything, I'm more bullish on him then some others. Basically I'm giving him a mulligan for last year and will wait to see how he does next year.

    The stuff has to improve and hopefully it will with a new found commitment to his conditioning and weight control. I've heard he plans to spend all winter working at one of the top sports fitness facilities and if he comes back in great shape, we could see the guy Jordan saw late in his high school season.

    IMO these things are related. The fact his curve hasn't been right since being pro and, the fact his FB isn't in the low to mid 90's really affects the K rate...

  15. #15
    eb45's Avatar
    eb45 is offline Aberdeen Reporter All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,279
    Hobgood's curve isn't right is because he threw it at a different arm slot from all three of his other pitches, and that had to be corrected. Add that to some big shifts in mechanics and you can pretty much write this season off as a learning experience. Next year will be the year we can actually start to get a read on Hobgood as a prospect.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

OriolesHangout.com is an unofficial site and not associated with the Baltimore Orioles and part of Hangout Ventures LLC. Copyright ©2013 | Privacy Policy | Advertise with us