View Poll Results: Which QB option do you prefer...read post first.

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grossbeck or other

3 27.27%
  • Vince Young (FA)

2 18.18%
  • Kevin Kolb (Trade)

2 18.18%
  • Kyle Orton (Trade)

2 18.18%
  • Mark Bulger (FA)

0 0%
  • Matt Haselbeck (FA)

1 9.09%
  • Seneca Wallace (FA)

0 0%
  • Matt Moore (FA)

0 0%
  • Caleb Hanie (FA)

0 0%
  • Matt Leinart (FA)

1 9.09%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    JDubs is offline Plus Member since 9/10 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Vince Young (as reported) and other possible QB Targets (POLL)

So like it or not (I'm in the not camp for the most part), the South Florida South-Sentinel is reporting, from unnamed sources, that the Redskins are the front-runners for Vince Young's services. Redskins beat writer Rich Tandler has also heard talk of Vince Young in the nation's capital, so the smoke is building here. Due a $4.25 million bonus in addition to his $8.5 million salary, Young is likely to be released rather than traded. The Redskins are one of very few teams with no semblance of a viable starting QB. It's easy to see why V.Y. would be interested in signing on, as it's his quickest path to playing time. [SOURCE]

Ugh.

This made me want to know exactly which QBs are available for the Redskins to acquire. NOTE: I am working under the assumption that McNabb will be traded and the Redskins will return to more traditional methods of killing worms.

- Stick with Grossbeck: By most accounts, the Shanaplan in this scenario would be to give Beck a shot.
    - Sign FA Vince Young: I'm obviously assuming that the Titans are going to move on from him. He has some intangibles, but lacks accuracy. I'm a bit baffled by the interest because he does not appear to fit the Shanahan system (skill set or attitude).
    - Trade in division for Eagles Kevin Kolb: It'll likely take a 1st or 2nd & 3rd type package.
    - Trade for Kyle Orton: There are rumors that a deal with Haynesworth is possible. I do not believe these rumors, but they are worth mentioning.
    - Sign FA Mark Bulger: Probably not ideal and it is said that he will sign with the Cards once free agency begins.
    - Sign Matt Hasselbeck: For what it is worth, Peter King said he will not be returning to Seattle.
    - Sign FA Peyton Manning to a 1 Gazillion $$ deal: Kidding.
    - Sign FA Brett Farve: Kidding and vomiting in my mouth.
    - Sign FA Seneca Wallace: Ummm...yeah, we could do that.
    - Sign FA Matt Moore: Filled in adequately at times in Carolina...and inadequately at others.
    - Sign FA Alex Smith: 49ers drafted Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick and may be finished with the Alex Smith Experiment. I am finished with it myself.
    - Sign FA Caleb Hanie: Showed some things in the playoffs, but will likely be kept by CHI
    - Sign FA Matt Leinart: I don't think Houston will him go, but he does carry a clipboard with authority.

Other Free Agents:
    Todd Collins (CHI)
    Brady Quinn (DEN)
    Drew Stanton (DET)
    Trent Edwards (JAC)
    Luke McCown (JAC)
    Brodie Croyle (KC)
    Chad Pennington (MIA)
    Tyler Thigpen (MIA)
    Tarvaris Jackson (MIN)
    Jim Sorgi (NYG)
    Kellen Clemens (NYJ)
    Kyle Boller (OAK) (HE'S AVAILABLE!!!)
    Bruce Gradkowski (OAK)
    Dennis Dixon (PIT)
    Billy Volek (SD)
    Troy Smith (SF)
    Kerry Collins (TEN)

And as always...

If there is a brightside, it is that if Big Ben keeps living by this motto, he will be available soon too. Then we can go get him (and hide our kids, hide our wives, hide our husbands...)
    Last edited by JDubs; 05-06-2011 at 06:43 PM.

I like Young or Jackson to compete with one or both of Rex and Beck.

OrioleMagic is offline Plus Member since 12/03 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I posted what Schefter said in the draft thread that JDubs made... He says it's Beck. And Grossman is an FA.

JDubs is offline Plus Member since 9/10 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by OrioleMagic View Post
    I posted what Schefter said in the draft thread that JDubs made... He says it's Beck. And Grossman is an FA.
    Ah. That thread was actually started by backwardsk, just to give due credit. It was good information, so I'm reposting it (hope you don't mind!):

This is a partial quote from Schefter on ESPN Insider:

Q: Adam, enjoyed watching you during NFL draft coverage first off! I was wondering what you think Mike Shanahan and the Washington Redskins plan to do at QB? I've heard John Beck (hard to believe), Albert Haynesworth for Kyle Orton and even a possibility of Vince Young. Who will be Shanahan's franchise QB?

-- Brendan (N.C.)

A: For now, Brendan, it looks like Beck. But let's clear up some loose ends. Washington never seriously considered a quarterback in Round 1 and never was going to trade up for one in this draft. Ever. And with the Redskins passing up the chance to draft a quarterback, the signs now point to Beck as Washington's starting quarterback in 2011. For starters, the team is expected to try to trade Donovan McNabb, and Rex Grossman is scheduled to be a free agent, leaving Beck as the only veteran quarterback under contract. It's also worth pointing out that Beck had better stats as a senior at Brigham Young than the quarterbacks the Redskins could have drafted and didn't at the top of the draft. During his senior season, Beck threw 32 touchdown passes and only eight interceptions, while completing 69.3 percent of his passes. Plus, Washington likes Beck's sense of timing and the skills he demonstrated during his one year with the team. The Redskins didn't think that many of these young quarterbacks would leave them any better off than Beck would. They're big believers in Beck, a player they acquired last summer from Baltimore for cornerback Doug Dutch. So you might as well believe, Brendan. All signs now point to Beck as the opening-day starter.
    I was afraid of this. I know that this his been his publicly stated intention, but I have been hoping that there is a non-public Plan A as well. It would make sense not to make it public because it can only be negative if a player hears that he is not the coaches guy (e.g. Cutler in Denver...not that Beck is Jay Cutler).

So I guess my question is, which of these two pieces of information is more recent/accurate (VY vs John Beck)?

Quote Originally Posted by mweb View Post
    I like Young or Jackson to compete with one or both of Rex and Beck.
    Yeah I tend to agree somewhere in this ballpark. At this point I think I'm a fan of giving Beck a shot, with the Gross one as a backup, and signing some 3rd QB to either be insurance or just to try out in ST and see if they can wow someone with a quick intro to the offense. I'm expecting to solve long term QB issues next year, but I'd love to see if Beck could be the guy, kinda like Torain proved he deserved a shot last season. Better to find something you already own than to overspend for something you coulda had similar for free.

OrioleMagic is offline Plus Member since 12/03 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I think most Coaches and GMs will see Young as a project with risk. I don't think he gets a starting job until he can prove he is a team-player and not a problem in the locker room. With that said, maybe both stories are correct and Shanahan wants to let Beck and Young compete for the job.

So what you all are saying is that we are all in consensus.

I think most Coaches and GMs will see Young as a project with risk. I don't think he gets a starting job until he can prove he is a team-player and not a problem in the locker room. With that said, maybe both stories are correct and Shanahan wants to let Beck and Young compete for the job.
    I don't see much truth to any of this though, I think it's just media rumor-mongering connecting vacancy A with free-spending team A and available player B. At some point and time, 98% of the FA out there will be linked to the Redskins, that's just how it goes. I just can't see Shanny signing on with a guy that supposedly has character concerns. Now if he met with him and decided he liked him, maybe, but I just think Shanny is too hard nosed for a guy like that. I could be wrong though.

I honestly think Beck could be your guy. I said that a few years ago when we traded him to you. Young would bring some excitement and probably could get you guys 8 or 9 wins but he's not a championship caliber QB. IMO, the worse thing you could do is pay a premium price for Kolb.

Sports Guy is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    Why wouldn't you go after Vince Young if you are the Skins?

I know he has some issues but the guy does win and you need someone to compete with Beck.

At least Young has some upside.

Quote Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post

I know he has some issues but the guy does win and you need someone to compete with Beck.

Not saying not to personally, I just know that Shanny won't have anything to do with guys that don't fall in line and I worry if VY is one of those or not. Haynesworth would NEVER have been signed if Shanny was here first. Unfortunately, I think Hall also might not have been signed. It's kinda like living with Gary Williams, you know he's going to go and coach and be respected, but he's not going to play BS games or take character risks, which can cost you.

The Skins will be cautious regarding Young with Haynesworth burning them so recently. The guy may have all the talent in the world, but if he doesn't fit with Shanahan's program... and has a history of conflict with a Head Coach and in the locker room...

The answer to your question is very obvious.

Sports Guy is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    The Skins will be cautious regarding Young with Haynesworth burning them so recently. The guy may have all the talent in the world, but if he doesn't fit with Shanahan's program... and has a history of conflict with a Head Coach and in the locker room...

The answer to your question is very obvious.
    I get all of that but what do you lose by bringing him in?

Let's say he is a problem...just drop him. Who cares?

If I am the Skins, I bring in Young and some kind of veteran to be a 3rd QB, like say Volek. This way, if Young is a problem, you just cut him and have a vet back up.

They are obviously comfortable with Beck at this point, so if he is the starter, that's fine.

I get all of that but what do you lose by bringing him in?

Let's say he is a problem...just drop him. Who cares?

If I am the Skins, I bring in Young and some kind of veteran to be a 3rd QB, like say Volek. This way, if Young is a problem, you just cut him and have a vet back up.

They are obviously comfortable with Beck at this point, so if he is the starter, that's fine.
    The veteran will be Grossman, no question. He knows the system really well and he and little Shan are good friends. Much worse backups out there. The 3rd QB should absolutely be someone to compete with Beck, with the loser being 3rd QB.

backwardsk is online now Plus Member Since 3/08 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by ccbird View Post
    I honestly think Beck could be your guy. I said that a few years ago when we traded him to you. Young would bring some excitement and probably could get you guys 8 or 9 wins but he's not a championship caliber QB. IMO, the worse thing you could do is pay a premium price for Kolb.
    This post pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject. I'll add that Kyle Shanahan is out to prove that his system can work like it did in Houston. But to do that, he'll need a QB with experience in his system to execute it. With the lock out, I don't see them bringing in a high profile vet, like Young. I'm look forward to seeing what Beck can do. I also believe that Grossman will re-sign.