+ Reply to Thread

Broadband Internet Alternatives: DSL and Cable not available

Anyone live an are where DSL nor Cable internet is available? I may be moving back to MD soon to an area of the Eastern Shore where this is the case. I telecommute so my corporate VPN needs a solid connection at the very least.

I priced a T1 line and its ~$450 to $500 a month. I afraid this is what I'll end up with. Best case, I can split it with my neighbor.

Anyone using 'Fixed Wireless' might be an option but I'll have to have a survey done to see if a tower is close enough.

I can get a 3G signal from ATT, shocking I know, but I would need to install a signal booster to ensure a consistent connection, plus the speed would be limiting and an unlimited plan would make a T1 look more appealing.

Satellite internet can't handle a VPN due to latency issues and terrible upload speeds.

Maybe I could get a T3 and start a internet coop with the neighbors

Goober Noodles is offline Plus Member Since 04/04 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by srock View Post
    Anyone live an are where DSL nor Cable internet is available? I may be moving back to MD soon to an area of the Eastern Shore where this is the case. I telecommute so my corporate VPN needs a solid connection at the very least.

I priced a T1 line and its ~$450 to $500 a month. I afraid this is what I'll end up with. Best case, I can split it with my neighbor.

Anyone using 'Fixed Wireless' might be an option but I'll have to have a survey done to see if a tower is close enough.

I can get a 3G signal from ATT, shocking I know, but I would need to install a signal booster to ensure a consistent connection, plus the speed would be limiting and an unlimited plan would make a T1 look more appealing.

Satellite internet can't handle a VPN due to latency issues and terrible upload speeds.

Maybe I could get a T3 and start a internet coop with the neighbors
    T1 is only 1.5/1.5 - you're paying for the uptime and consistent service, not speed. I would rather tether to my Droid's data connection than pay for a T1.

Have you looked into getting an aircard from Verizon or other wireless providers?

DSLreports.com is a good site for info and for searching for ISP's: http://www.dslreports.com/search

Quote Originally Posted by Goober Noodles View Post
    T1 is only 1.5/1.5 - you're paying for the uptime and consistent service, not speed. I would rather tether to my Droid's data connection than pay for a T1.

Have you looked into getting an aircard from Verizon or other wireless providers?

DSLreports.com is a good site for info and for searching for ISP's: http://www.dslreports.com/search
    I actually know there are no ISP available (unless you count dial up).

T1 is 1.5/1.5 but it has a higher priority so you pretty much always get a solid 1.5/1.5. I definitely wouldn't have blazing fast downloads, but consistent and reliable it would be.

A wireless data connection may be technically faster then a T1, but the reliability out in the sticks might not make it practical. And unlimited wireless data is pretty expensive. A VPN connection really piles up the bytes. I'm hoping a wireless solution exists, but there is no way to know until I get up there and try a few services out.