7th Round - Trent Howard - LHP - Central Michigan University

Signed for $175K...

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/baseball/college/article_16e88275-75a4-54ee-b02a-6913908f73f8.html

A seventh-round draft choice of the Orioles, Howard and adviser Barry Meister agreed to terms Monday. He reportedly received a total package for around $175,000, the typical slotted bonus for his round.

Howard did confirm the Orioles will pick up about $48,000 toward the three to four more semesters required for his college degree. He'll supplement that amount with $7,000 more of a "President's Award," while taking up in-state Michigan residency to reduce college costs.

"Right now I'm very good shape," Howard said. "I got the call (from Meister) while I still sleeping Monday morning. I was still excited. The first offer, I was not happy with -- it was well below slot. We asked for more after the first offer."

Signed for $175K...

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/baseball/college/article_16e88275-75a4-54ee-b02a-6913908f73f8.html

A seventh-round draft choice of the Orioles, Howard and adviser Barry Meister agreed to terms Monday. He reportedly received a total package for around $175,000, the typical slotted bonus for his round.

Howard did confirm the Orioles will pick up about $48,000 toward the three to four more semesters required for his college degree. He'll supplement that amount with $7,000 more of a "President's Award," while taking up in-state Michigan residency to reduce college costs.

"Right now I'm very good shape," Howard said. "I got the call (from Meister) while I still sleeping Monday morning. I was still excited. The first offer, I was not happy with -- it was well below slot. We asked for more after the first offer."

Maybe I'm crazy, but after spending saturday discussing with my area scout how we (my ML org) are progressing in signing kids it surprises me that Baltimore would low-ball a 7th rounder with a "well below slot" offer??

Maybe I'm crazy, but after spending saturday discussing with my area scout how we (my ML org) are progressing in signing kids it surprises me that Baltimore would low-ball a 7th rounder with a "well below slot" offer??

Who knows? Obviously they quickly upped the amount so maybe they thought the kid would jump at the first offer? It's probably just like any kind of negotiations. If they want him at slot, start low, get a higher number in response, meet at slot.

Who knows? Obviously they quickly upped the amount so maybe they thought the kid would jump at the first offer? It's probably just like any kind of negotiations. If they want him at slot, start low, get a higher number in response, meet at slot.

Okay, but that isn't like any other negotiation. Usually you have some sort of idea what the other side is looking for. If a know that market for a "grace period" on a default in a credit agreement is generally around 30 days, I'd check who opposing counsel is before I try to negotiate a 90 day grace period for my client. If I made that comment to another big firm they'd obviously say no, but more they'd probably think 1) I'm an idiot, or 2) I'm a potential pain in the ass for wasting their time over something that is clearly a non-starter.

Didn't matter here, since he signed anyway. But I was aware of the asking prices for each fo the guys signed in my region. I guess there is no issue, just a different way of doing business. Seems like wasted time and a risk of pissing someone off (even if it is someone with little to no leverage). Shrug.

Archived