Whats he supposed to do.... tackle the baserunner?

No one said he had to do anything. It's his "not going anywhere for awhile" Snickers-eating stance that kinda sums how I feel about watching the Os get shelled night after night. Like, jeez here we go again.

Wonder if Reynolds "misses" the Astros now. It's hard to be on a losing team. I can't imagine players who have been here for a while -- Markakis, Roberts, Guthrie etc. It's gotta wear down on you. I feel for them. Changes have to be made throughout the organization to clean this mess up.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The team has a very big bullpen problem. A lot of us have been beating this drum since the offseason and here we are. Elias made almost no moves to supplement the bullpen and it's starting to show cracks now. I really hope Suarez can be a dude in the pen once Bradish comes back, which is hopefully something that actually happens. Otherwise man... there aren't many options at AAA and it's too early to make trades.
    • It pains me to see Holliday struggle, but I have to admit there’s a part of me that just wants to dredge up every post where someone essentially called Elias an idiot for not having Holliday on the Opening Day roster or accused him of being solely motivated by manipulating service time.   What do you think now? I wrote a couple of days ago that I thought Holliday would get two more weeks to show some signs of adjusting.   But now I’m thinking it might be more like a week (end of the road trip).   He’s really pressing terribly right now.   
    • I think we agree fully here, I'm not sure why you feel the need to call me a Pollyanna. It's been 27 AB. If at 50 he still looks like this then sure send him down. I was merely laughing at the full 180 some fans are pulling in here. And it seems to only happen after a loss, as if we would have won that game with Urias or Mateo at 2B or something. And you will see me in other threads criticizing players or lack of moves to support the pen and things like that. This narrative that I'm some constant Pollyanna is just false. I acknowledge the kid looks pretty bad. He's not losing us games though, and IMO hasn't met the threshold just yet for being sent down.
    • Most of Manny’s value his first 3 seasons came from his amazing defense.  Gunnar’s a very good defender, but Manny was otherworldly for a while.  He didn’t really mature as a hitter until he’d been in the league for 2.3 seasons.  Gunnar’s been by far the better hitter early, but will he hit another gear in a year or two like Manny did?   Hard to know.  
    • No I don't but it's just funny watching people who criticized the decision to start him in AAA to now wanting to send him down after less than 30 ABs.
    • There are always going to be "pollyanna" fans that seem to think if you show any concern, even when you have the statistics to prove the concerns, will just laugh it off.  I haven't seen anyone say he's a bust or that he'll never hit in the majors, but it's been 8 games of absolutely domination. Even Cowser last year made some good contact at times and walked some during his terrible performance.  Now Cal Ripken took his lumps in his short debut at the end of 1981 slashing .128/.150/.128/.278 in 39 PAs similar to Holliday though he "only" struck out 9 times in those 39 PAs.  I have little doubt Holliday will figure things out, and it very well may start coming soon, but once he gets on that 50 PA range, the Orioles need to make an assessment of what good for the team this year and whether Holliday may need a reset back in AAA.  Many good players have needed to go back to the minors after learning what didn't work in the big leagues. Who knows, maybe the Orioles knew some things wouldn't work but needed Holliday to fail before he would make some changes? I don't know honestly and I'm not a hitting instructor. I just know that I'd feel better if he were driving the ball more often and just whiffing a lot less. That whiff rate is unsustainable.  
  • Popular Contributors