What's wrong with our system?

Roll Tide

I wanted to point out this caption that I read on MLBTRADERUMORS.Com.

Spoone, 25, posted a 4.73 ERA, 5.6 K/9, 5.1 BB/9, and 0.6 HR/9 in 97 innings for the Orioles' Triple and Double-A affiliates this year. Prior to the season, Baseball America ranked Spoone 24th among Orioles prospects, saying that he once had electric stuff but now may be better off as a reliever. Spoone had shoulder surgery after the '08 season.

This is just another example of another Orioles Highly touted minor league prospect who's stuff regressed.

Add him to Tillman, Matusz, and I'm sure there are others. What is going on?

IMO something or someone needs to change/go fast. It's hard to believe the Orioles front office isn't smart enough to address and fix this problem.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wanted to point out this caption that I read on MLBTRADERUMORS.Com.

This is just another example of another Orioles Highly touted minor league prospect who's stuff regressed.

Add him to Tillman, Matusz, and I'm sure there are others. What is going on?

IMO something or someone needs to change/go fast. It's hard to believe the Orioles front office isn't smart enough to address and fix this problem.

In part, a lack of comittment to institute a consistent strength/conditioning and dietary program. The development team just does not monitor or enforce proper conditioning habits. I've heard a good amount of disturbing things about the staff in general. Lots of clock punchers.

Not that this necessarily had anything to do with Spoone in particular. Some things you can't avoid.

In part, a lack of comittment to institute a consistent strength/conditioning and dietary program. The development team just does not monitor or enforce proper conditioning habits. I've heard a good amount of disturbing things about the staff in general. Lots of clock punchers.

Not that this necessarily had anything to do with Spoone in particular. Some things you can't avoid.

Didnt know about the injury ... As a fan its hard to read articles like this. As hard as it is to watch our highly touted pitchers throwing mid-high 80's and getting creamed :(.

Didnt know about the injury ... As a fan its hard to read articles like this. As hard as it is to watch our highly touted pitchers throwing mid-high 80's and getting creamed :(.

Spoone, 25, posted a 4.73 ERA, 5.6 K/9, 5.1 BB/9, and 0.6 HR/9 in 97 innings for the Orioles' Triple and Double-A affiliates this year. Prior to the season, Baseball America ranked Spoone 24th among Orioles prospects, saying that he once had electric stuff but now may be better off as a reliever. Spoone had shoulder surgery after the '08 season.

:thumbsup1::2yay-thumb:

Don't take this as doubting you but....are you f'ing kidding me?

I mean, we can hypothesize about stuff like this based on what we see...but what in the hell is going on here?

This type of thing is as bad as it gets...Your entire plan is based around the idea of young pitching and you can't even monitor their conditioning well? That's pathetic. That alone means AM should be fired right now.

And let me tell you something, as hard on PA as I have been, this has nothing to do with him. This is flat out pathetic.

Its bad enough that we are likely a terrible system at teaching mechanics but you can't even monitor their conditioning well?

I mean, we can hypothesize about stuff like this based on what we see...but what in the hell is going on here?

This type of thing is as bad as it gets...Your entire plan is based around the idea of young pitching and you can't even monitor their conditioning well? That's pathetic. That alone means AM should be fired right now.

And let me tell you something, as hard on PA as I have been, this has nothing to do with him. This is flat out pathetic.

Its bad enough that we are likely a terrible system at teaching mechanics but you can't even monitor their conditioning well?

Unfortunately, what RVA says makes a lot of sense.

Unfortunately, what RVA says makes a lot of sense.

Oh, i am sure he is right.

Its just so horrible.

Its this type of thing that just amazes me how people can even remotely defend AM and the organization as a whole.

They have a stated plan of pitching, pitching, pitching...Grow the arms, etc...

And yet they can't teach them elementary stuff? There is a reason we have had so many failed pitching prospects and its not bad luck, like so many want to say.

The only part of your post I'd quibble with is the bolded. There are several suspects in this debacle who are only still around because they are PA favorites. Don't worry, there's plenty of blame to go around from what I hear.

The only part of your post I'd quibble with is the bolded. There are several suspects in this debacle who are only still around because they are PA favorites. Don't worry, there's plenty of blame to go around from what I hear.

Ok, I can see how this is the case.

But you mean to tell me that AM can't step in and say, let's try something different? That PA is fine with poor conditioning, etc..??

Ok, I can see how this is the case.

But you mean to tell me that AM can't step in and say, let's try something different? That PA is fine with poor conditioning, etc..??

Haha of course not. The coaching and development staff just sucks. There are a handful of good guys trying their best, but this organization is just generally awful.

Archived