Quote Originally Posted by Remember The Alomar View Post
    I think a certain other Portuguese will end up being the heir to Ferguson.

Don't know if you mentioned it Basketeer, but who do you support? I must have missed it.
    I can only assume you're referring to the Fulham's goal-scoring necromancer, Orlando Sa.

I don't openly support any one team, as I'm relatively new to being a diehard EPL follower. I love all the games (no matter who's playing), the storylines, transfers. Best game in the world, imo.

I suppose right now I support players over any specific team, especially Americans. There's a certain pride to seeing Dempsey, Howard, Friedel, and Holden playing exceptionally well in soccer's best league worldwide. My girlfriend's family are all diehard Toon fans, so I've been watching them more closely this season. Great history, solid fan-base, blue-collar. And excellent uniforms.

I guess I'm still waiting for some team to come out and flatter me. It's like being a kid again and falling in love with an NFL or MLB team. But for now I'm content with just taking it all in and enjoying the games.

atom_25 is offline Plus Member Since 4/10 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Great family your gf has there. That's the type of girl you marry.

Quote Originally Posted by atom_25 View Post
    Great family your gf has there. That's the type of girl you marry.
    Ha! Her grandparents are originally from Newcastle area. Plus, she's Canadian!

atom_25 is offline Plus Member Since 4/10 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Basketeer View Post
    Ha! Her grandparents are originally from Newcastle area. Plus, she's Canadian!
    Send em down to Slainte, pint of broon on me.

McNulty is offline Plus Member Since 3/08 All-Star Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Send em down to Slainte, pint of broon on me.
    I might have mentioned this before, but there is a Slainte up here in Philly. Blew my mind, I guess they are a chain?

Lester Freamon is offline Plus Member Since 2/08 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    So Landon Donovan is on his way back to Everton for a short period. I'll be interested to see how he does this time around now that he's "Landon Donovan".

I mean, am I wrong that he's a bit more popular this time around? Or not really?
    Last edited by Lester Freamon; 12-15-2011 at 05:49 PM.

gallden is offline Plus Member Since 7/07 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Good move for everton.

Scrat1 is offline Plus Member since 6/2008 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Fulham is out of Europa due to a series of incredible mental lapses in the last half minute of injury time against a significantly inferior team. This season has been a disaster. Jol has been a disaster. Why, why did Mark Hughes leave? Arrogance and all, he had the team firing on all cylinders once the team got healthy. Now Fulham is in a tailspin and Hughes is out of a job. What a waste.

Glad to see Landon back in the PL. Sad it's with Everton.

gallden is offline Plus Member Since 7/07 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Remember The Alomar View Post
    Glad to see Landon back in the PL. Sad it's with Everton.
    His loan expires around the time Everton's season does, and this should help them avoid relegation.

I'm kinda meh on Donovan to Everton. Yeah as an American I like him and all, but what's the point really? If he wants to play abroad, he should move somewhere permanently. AT 29 he really does not have a whole lot to prove anymore. That said, good move for Everton.

Gallden- you really think Everton could be relegated? Blackburn, Wolves, Wigan, and Bolton are all pretty awful. Couple that with this being the point in the season, that you see a dip from the promoted teams and I think they should be well safe. Also the Championship is crazy entertaining this season.

Bosibus is offline Plus Member Since 11/07 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    As an Everton fan, I am glad Lando is joining the squad but Everton still needs a scorer in order to do anything. Luckily, their schedule is getting easier over the next two months so relegation I do not think was ever really an issue. The one good thing with LD on Everton is I will probably get to watch an extra game or two as FSC will put it on TV just because.

Also the Championship is crazy entertaining this season.
    Crazy how Southhampton has flown up the pyramid the past few years.

Also, news regarding Suarez:

Luis Su?rez's disciplinary case for allegedly racially abusing Patrice Evra appears to rest on whether the Liverpool striker and his legal team can successfully argue that using the word "negro" does not necessarily have racist connotations for someone with his background in Uruguay.

Liverpool's legal argument is that negro and its female equivalent, negra, are frequently used in Spanish-speaking countries without any negative connotations, often in the same context as someone saying "pal" or "mate". Evra's camp argues this is unacceptable and that it was said in a clearly derogatory manner as the two players clashed during the second half of Manchester United's 1-1 draw at Anfield in October.

At the same time, new details have emerged that make it clear the evidence of the referee, Andre Marriner, could be vital. Marriner reportedly called the pair together for a lecture after they had become involved in some pushing at a Liverpool corner. When Su?rez attempted to pat his opponent on the head, Evra allegedly pulled away and said: "Don't touch me, you South American." The Uruguayan replied: "Por qu? [why], negro?"

Evra was clearly annoyed by something and it was also reported that when he was shown a yellow card later in the match, he allegedly said to Marriner: "You're only booking me because I'm black."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...rice-evra-case

I knew it was going to be something like this. Suarez isn't BSing either--someone found an interview with LilPea in which he openly uses the word "negrito." It's not synonymous with the English "n-word" whatsoever.

I can understand why Evra was offended without knowing the context, but I guess this was nothing more than a cultural misunderstanding.

I can also sympathize with Evra's sensitivity regarding race. I'm sure some awful epithets were thrown his way growing up in France. That being said, it would be shocking if Suarez is punished.
    Last edited by Remember The Alomar; 12-16-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gallden View Post
    His loan expires around the time Everton's season does, and this should help them avoid relegation.
    It's amazing how unlucky Everton is. They have one of the best managers in England in David Moyes and all they have to do is let him spend some cash here and there. Everton could be a perpetual top 6 team under Moyes + some serious cash, imo.

I'm kinda meh on Donovan to Everton. Yeah as an American I like him and all, but what's the point really? If he wants to play abroad, he should move somewhere permanently. AT 29 he really does not have a whole lot to prove anymore. That said, good move for Everton.

Gallden- you really think Everton could be relegated? Blackburn, Wolves, Wigan, and Bolton are all pretty awful. Couple that with this being the point in the season, that you see a dip from the promoted teams and I think they should be well safe. Also the Championship is crazy entertaining this season.
    At this point, I see Blackburn, Bolton, and Wigan taking the fall. Bolton is in a complete tailspin this year, they're falling real hard. Unfortunate too, because Coyle is a very good manager and I'd hate to see Stu Holden have to play in the Championship next year. Cahill is likely gone in the January window though.

I've got nothing but love for Wigan. Roberto Martinez is an excellent manager who's turned down several opportunities to move up to better teams but has remained loyal to the club and its owner. Sadly, I just don't think they're good enough.

Blackburn, eh. This is what you get when your owners are Indian chicken magnates with little desire to spend cash. And they stupidly fired Big Sam Allardyce (who will likely be back in the PL next season with West Ham).

But anything could happen. Norwich and Wolves are the two others I could see slipping away at the end.