+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sports Guy is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation

Brett Lawrie not enough for Guthrie?

That's what we heard from many in the offseason and during this season.

That we must get more than 1 player, etc...

Obviously its very early in his pro career but he had a big year at AAA this year and his OPS is pushing 1100 through his first 100ish at bats in the big leagues.

Again, very small sample size but the talent is there.

SrMeowMeow is offline Plus Member Since December 2008 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Where did we hear that? You mean a report that AM turned it down, or posters on here wanting more?

Stotle is offline Hangout Scouting Contributor Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post
    That's what we heard from many in the offseason and during this season.

That we must get more than 1 player, etc...

Obviously its very early in his pro career but he had a big year at AAA this year and his OPS is pushing 1100 through his first 100ish at bats in the big leagues.

Again, very small sample size but the talent is there.
    I mean, it was a great move for both teams at the time and remains a great move for both teams now. Very good get for Toronto, even with his stone hands. The bat wasn't really ever a question and folks who were "unimpressed" with his AA numbers at age 20 were loony toons.

Sports Guy is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by SrMeowMeow View Post
    Where did we hear that? You mean a report that AM turned it down, or posters on here wanting more?
    Posters on here.

That's what I meant by this:

That's what we heard from many in the offseason and during this season
    Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I hope I wasn't one of them.

I would have definitely taken Lawrie for Guthrie. He would be perfect to have on the team right now.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I don't remember hearing that, though it's possible. He was traded even up for Shaun Marcum, who is a better, younger, cheaper pitcher than Guthrie. Marcum's doing a nice job for the Brewers (11-5, 3.24 ERA in 28 starts). So, it was a good trade for both teams. That said, great job by the Blue Jays in identifying a guy who would perform well at the higher levels even though his AA numbers were nothing special. And, as a native Canadian, he's got great box office appeal for them.

By the way, Lawrie was the #40 BA prospect last year after posting a .797 OPS in the Southern League at age 20. Josh Bell was the #37 BA prospect the year we traded for him, after putting up an .883 OPS in the Southern League and a .917 in the Eastern League at age 22. Why can't we ever win one of these, dammit?

Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    I don't remember hearing that, though it's possible. He was traded even up for Shaun Marcum, who is a better, younger, cheaper pitcher than Guthrie. Marcum's doing a nice job for the Brewers (11-5, 3.24 ERA in 28 starts). So, it was a good trade for both teams. That said, great job by the Blue Jays in identifying a guy who would perform well at the higher levels even though his AA numbers were nothing special. And, as a native Canadian, he's got great box office appeal for them.

By the way, Lawrie was the #40 BA prospect last year after posting a .797 OPS in the Southern League at age 20. Josh Bell was the #37 BA prospect the year we traded for him, after putting up an .883 OPS in the Southern League and a .917 in the Eastern League at age 22. Why can't we ever win one of these, dammit?
    Because we can't develop!

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post
    Because we can't develop!
    What about the Dodgers? He was in their system for four years, when we got him, with almost 400 plate appearances at AA. You're really just talking about final spit and polish at that point.

Just bad luck.

crawjo is offline Plus Member since 07/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Oh for God's sake, why do people on this board continue to act like Jeremy Guthrie is some prized commodity? He was never in Marcum's class, never. Lawrie looks like a force to me. I think the Brewers will come to regret this trade.

Stotle is offline Hangout Scouting Contributor Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by crawjo View Post
    I think the Brewers will come to regret this trade.
    The trade was a big reason the Brewers are making the playoffs this year -- I think both teams hit homeruns with the deal (Milwaukee especially if the playoff money/2012 season ticket money gives them what they need to hold onto Prince).

crawjo is offline Plus Member since 07/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Stotle View Post
    The trade was a big reason the Brewers are making the playoffs this year -- I think both teams hit homeruns with the deal (Milwaukee especially if the playoff money/2012 season ticket money gives them what they need to hold onto Prince).
    Yes, and the Red Sox got what they wanted from the Jeff Bagwell deal, but it still didn't sit well in the end. I think Lawrie is about to embark on a HOF career. We're talking about a 21-year-old putting up the numbers he has, and from watching him hit he looks like the real deal to me, the kind of talent that doesn't come along very often.

Quote Originally Posted by crawjo View Post
    Yes, and the Red Sox got what they wanted from the Jeff Bagwell deal, but it still didn't sit well in the end. I think Lawrie is about to embark on a HOF career. We're talking about a 21-year-old putting up the numbers he has, and from watching him hit he looks like the real deal to me, the kind of talent that doesn't come along very often.
    He definitely has a chance to be special with the bat. That's for certain.

As a hypothetical to everyone, would you trade Manny Machado for a playoff appearance?

As a hypothetical to everyone, would you trade Manny Machado for a playoff appearance?
    I definitely would not, although I doubt that Machado will be as much a force as Lawrie appears right now.

One single (guaranteed) playoff appearance? No way.