BOISE STATE: 3 Years Straight Years Starting tough against Ranked Teams, Winning anyway

OFFNY

For the 3rd straight season, the Boise State Broncos took on a ranked team to open their season ...... and won the game. Unlike last season's opening-game nail biter against Virginia Tech, the Broncos dominated the Bulldogs after an early 80-yard touchdown run by Georgia's Brandon Boykin 8 and-a-half minutes into the first quarter.

Also, it was the second consecutive season that the Broncos traveled across the country and went into their opponents' back yard to win. Last season, they beat 10th ranked Virginia Tech in Landover, Maryland to open the season. This year, they beat the #19 Georgie Bulldogs in Atlanta's Georgia Dome to start their 2011 campaign. Chris Petersen and company certainly haven't been shying away from challenges.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/09/04/1785531/dawgs-pounded.html

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the 3rd straight season, the Boise State Broncos took on a ranked team to open their season ...... and won the game. Unlike last season's opening-game nail biter against Virginia Tech, the Broncos dominated the Bulldogs after an early 80-yard touchdown run by Georgia's Brandon Boykin 8 and-a-half minutes into the first quarter.

Also, it was the second consecutive season that the Broncos traveled across the country and went into their opponents' back yard to win. Last season, they beat 10th ranked Virginia Tech in Landover, Maryland to open the season. This year, they beat the #19 Georgie Bulldogs in Atlanta's Georgia Dome to start their 2011 campaign. Chris Petersen and company certainly haven't been shying away from challenges.http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/09/04/1785531/dawgs-pounded.html

I don't think I'd say that: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/329732-nebraska-offers-boise-state-2-for-1-deal-why-wont-bsu-accept

Also, I don't think it's anything to applaud them on. They play nobody in conference (except TCU this year) so if they want to be taken seriously they should have at least 3 of these games on their schedule.

That said, they're definitely a good team. They dominated UGA last night. Moore is a very good QB.

I don't think I'd say that: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/329732-nebraska-offers-boise-state-2-for-1-deal-why-wont-bsu-accept

Also, I don't think it's anything to applaud them on. They play nobody in conference (except TCU this year) so if they want to be taken seriously they should have at least 3 of these games on their schedule.

That said, they're definitely a good team. They dominated UGA last night. Moore is a very good QB.

I would say that. While most ranked teams start the season with cupcakes, Boise State has come right out of the gate against a ranked team, 3 years running, twice on the road.

Also, that's the Bleacher report that you are referring to, which is not to be taken seriously at all. I'm not saying that the information is necessarily incorrect, but you should have a better reference than the Bleacher Report.

I would say that. While most ranked teams start the season with cupcakes, Boise State has come right out of the gate against a ranked team, 3 years running, twice on the road.

LSU came out with Oregon in their opener. Oregon is way better than UGA. LSU will also play WV. Then they go and play in the SEC. Boise doesn't even play as good of a non conference schedule as LSU. Alabama plays Penn State. Auburn plays Clemson. Florida plays FSU.

All these teams play at least one good non conference game, which is nothing less than what Boise does. The difference is, they don't need to use the non conference schedule to make up for playing a weak conference schedule.

LSU came out with Oregon in their opener. Oregon is way better than UGA. LSU will also play WV. Then they go and play in the SEC. Boise doesn't even play as good of a non conference schedule as LSU. Alabama plays Penn State. Auburn plays Clemson. Florida plays FSU.

All these teams play at least one good non conference game, which is nothing less than what Boise does. The difference is, they don't need to use the non conference schedule to make up for playing a weak conference schedule.

I said most ranked teams, not all. Far more than half of the top 25 teams will open their season against considerably lower-regarded opponents. Boise State has gone right into it without a "warm-up game" 3 years running. Also, this is from the same Bleacher Report that you used as a reference:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/310720-why-wont-nebraska-play-boise-state-in-2011

I said most ranked teams, not all. Far more than half of the top 25 teams will open their season against considerably lower-regarded opponents. Boise State has gone right into it without a "warm-up game" 3 years running. Also, this is from the same Bleacher Report that you used as a reference:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/310720-why-wont-nebraska-play-boise-state-in-2011

Who cares if you open with a tough team. As long as you play a tough schedule over all, why should it matter who you open with? Why laud BSU for playing one tough game and then overlook the fact that they don't play anyone else out of conference?

That article you cited is before the one I cited. Apparently, Nebraska was willing to play Boise, even willing to go to Boise, but BSU never called back. IMO, it's b/c they want to play the "we can only play who is on our schedule" card, hoping that it gets them enough sympathy to get in the NCG one year. It's a shame, b/c I'd like to see what they could do with a tough schedule. They need to adopt the Florida State motto of the late 70's early 80's: anyone, anytime, any place. AND they need to actually mean it.

Who cares if you open with a tough team. As long as you play a tough schedule over all, why should it matter who you open with? Why laud BSU for playing one tough game and then overlook the fact that they don't play anyone else out of conference?

That article you cited is before the one I cited. Apparently, Nebraska was willing to play Boise, even willing to go to Boise, but BSU never called back. IMO, it's b/c they want to play the "we can only play who is on our schedule" card, hoping that it gets them enough sympathy to get in the NCG one year. It's a shame, b/c I'd like to see what they could do with a tough schedule. They need to adopt the Florida State motto of the late 70's early 80's: anyone, anytime, any place. AND they need to actually mean it.

In college football, it means A LOT to open against a tough teams. You're starting right out of the gate with no "practice games", and going right into the fire. And if you lose, you are more than likely immediately eliminated from the national championship picture, so the risk is high and great. Of course, in any other sport on the planet (from Little League baseball on up to all of the major professional sports) it wouldn't mean much, because they have a playoff system to determine their champions.

In college football, it means A LOT to open against a tough teams. You're starting right out of the gate with no "practice games", and going right into the fire. And if you lose, you are more than likely immediately eliminated from the national championship picture, so the risk is high and great. Of course, in any other sport on the planet (from Little League baseball on up to all of the major professional sports) it wouldn't mean much, because they have a playoff system to determine their champions.

If you lose, that means you have the whole season to get back in the race. It's much better to lose early, than lose late. Who you play first is completely irrelevant.

Both articles are from the Bleacher Report. Do you have a serious reference for either of the claims by either team ? Also, there is a lot of money and other circumstances involved, so if one team makes an offer, the other team is not necessarily "afraid" to play them if they don't accept.

If you lose, that means you have the whole season to get back in the race.

It's much better to lose early, than lose late.

Who you play first is completely irrelevant.

Bull and bull in both cases. Last year, 3 major teams went undefeated, and only 2 of them got to play for the national title. Plus, there were several other 1-loss teams that were shut out of any title hopes whatsoever. Off the top of my head, that also happened in 2004, when Auburn went 13-0 and was shut out of the national title game. You can go undefeated and not get a shot at the title, let alone lose your opening game.

These are the ranked teams who play a non conference game as tough or tougher than Boise:

Texas A&M (Arkansas)

Arkansas (A&M)

West Virginia (LSU)

Michigan State (Notre Dame)

Notre Dame (MSU, USC, Stanford)

Oklahoma (Florida State)

Florida State (OK)

Oregon (LSU)

LSU (Oregon)

Alabama (Penn State)

Penn State (ALA)

Auburn (Clemson)

Georgia (Boise)

Stanford (ND)

South Carolina (Clemson)

Ohio State (Miami)

USC (Notre Dame)

Missouri (Arizona State)

That's 18. Also, Wisconsin plays Oregon St and Nebraska plays Washington (2 BCS schools).

Boise has no leg to stand on when it comes to schedule. They need to be willing to travel and build up a reputation like FSU did when Bowden got there.

EDIT: Looks like it's 19. I left off Florida, who plays Florida State.

Bull and bull in both cases. Last year, 3 major teams went undefeated, and only 2 of them got to play for the national title. Plus, there were sevral other 1-loss teams that were shut out of any title hopes whatsoever. Off the top of my head, that also happened in 2004, when Auburn went 13-0 and was shut out of the national title game. You can go undefeated and not get a shot at the title, let alone lose your opening game.

What does a playoff have to do with Boise's schedule? Why are you changing subjects?

There have been instances where it doesn't happen, but it's pretty obvious it's better to lose early than late. I don't see how you can dispute that.

These are the ranked teams who play a non conference game as tough or tougher than Boise:

I stated that I knew that they played other ranked teams in their non-conference schedule. My point was specifically about the opening game of the season, when you haven't had a chance to get your team any momentum and also run the risk of immediately ending your national title hopes by losing said game. Why do you keep bringing this up ?

What does a playoff have to do with Boise's schedule? Why are you changing subjects?

There have been instances where it doesn't happen, but it's pretty obvious it's better to lose early than late. I don't see how you can dispute that.

I'm not changing ANY subject. This is the same subject about national ranking, the national title, and the opening game. You made a statement that was completely wrong, This is what you said, which is flat-out incorrect.

If you lose, that means you have the whole season to get back in the race. It's much better to lose early, than lose late. Who you play first is completely irrelevant.

Teams that go undefeated sometimes don't have a chance to play for the title, let alone a team that loses its opening game. Boise State and any other team that starts out immediately against another ranked team is puttingt their season on the line immediately.

I stated that I knew that they played other ranked teams in their non-conference schedule. My point was specifically about the opening game of the season, when you haven't had a chance to get your team any momentum and also run the risk of immediately ending your national title hopes by losing said game. Why do you keep bringing this up ?

Because it's irrelevant to only talk about who you play first. We might as well talk about who you play first, when you have to travel from Idaho b/c you keep trying to whittle the criteria down to where only Boise can qualify. I'd much rather play a tough opener, and then have 10 cakewalks through the rest of the season (with one potentially tough game) than play a schedule like Alabama or Oklahoma(where you play a cupcake opener then play 8-9 tough games). The team you're playing is in the same boat. It's not like UGA played 5 games and were in mid season form when they played Boise.

Archived