2011 Grade the player effort

Tony-OH

Ok, we're going to start something new here at the Hangout and grade out and discuss each player on the roster for 2011. The grades should be given in consideration to the player's role, and not necessarily the players worth. In other words, Troy Patton can grade out higher than Jeremy Guthrie even though Guthrie is a a more valuable pitcher but Patton was more effective in his role.

This is a great place to posts stats, highlights and anything and will give us a good record to look back on in the future. I will post two players a day.

Player - Grade (as of 10/20)

Robert Andino - B

Jake Arrieta - C

Brad Bergesen - D

Jason Berken - D

Zach Britton - B

Mike Gonzalez - D

Kevin Gregg - F

Vladimir Guerrero - D

Jeremy Guthrie - C

JJ Hardy - A

Chris Jakubauskas - C

Jim Johnson - A

Adam Jones - B

Derek Lee - D

Nick Markakis - C

Brian Matusz - F

Felix Pie - F

Nolan Reimold - C

Mark Reynolds - B

Brian Roberts - F

Luke Scott - D

Alfredo Simon - C

Craig Tatum - D

Chris Tillman - F

Koji Uehara - A

Matt Wieters - B

Icterus Balbula wrote:

Since almost all of the polls are closed, and I have a slow day at work, I decided to calculate the GPA of each player.

By Name

Robert Andino- 3.07

Jake Arrieta- 2.1

Brad Bergesen- 0.71

Jason Berken- 1.08

Zach Britton- 2.66

Mike Gonzalez- 1.38

Kevin Gregg- 0.58

Vladimir Guerrero- 1.21

Jeremy Guthrie- 2.27

JJ Hardy- 3.84

Chris Jakubauskas- 1.64

Jim Johnson- 3.83

Adam Jones- 3.11

Derrek Lee- 1.29

Nick Markakis- 2.05

Brian Matusz- 0.05

Felix Pie- 0.27

Nolan Reimold- 2.32

Mark Reynolds- 2.6

Brian Roberts- 0.33

Luke Scott- 0.57

Alfredo Simon- 2.31

Craig Tatum- 1.22

Chris Tillman- 0.59

Koji Uehara- 3.85

Matt Wieters- 3.42

By GPA

Koji Uehara- 3.85

JJ Hardy- 3.84

Jim Johnson- 3.83

Matt Wieters- 3.42

Adam Jones- 3.11

Robert Andino- 3.07

Zach Britton- 2.66

Mark Reynolds- 2.6

Nolan Reimold- 2.32

Alfredo Simon- 2.31

Jeremy Guthrie- 2.27

Jake Arrieta- 2.1

Nick Markakis- 2.05

Chris Jakubauskas- 1.64

Mike Gonzalez- 1.38

Derrek Lee- 1.29

Craig Tatum- 1.22

Vladimir Guerrero- 1.21

Jason Berken- 1.08

Brad Bergesen- 0.71

Chris Tillman- 0.59

Kevin Gregg- 0.58

Luke Scott- 0.57

Brian Roberts- 0.33

Felix Pie- 0.27

Brian Matusz- 0.05

Ok, we're going to start something new here at the Hangout and grade out and discuss each player on the roster for 2011. The grades should be given in consideration to the player's role, and not necessarily the players worth. In other words, Troy Patton can grade out higher than Jeremy Guthrie even though Guthrie is a a more valuable pitcher but Patton was more effective in his role.

This is a great place to posts stats, highlights and anything and will give us a good record to look back on in the future. I will post two players a day.

Player Done:

Nick Markakis

Nick led the Orioles in hits for the fifth consecutive season, an impressive feat for a 27 year old in only his sixth big league season. He also notched his 1000th career hit on July 15th of this year, a testament to how solid and reliable this guy has been for Baltimore his whole career.

Markakis' 2011 campaign, although it had its positives, was not quite the type of season we as O's fans were all hoping for. Although he put up a healthy .351 OBP and his BA (.284) was not too far below his career average of .295, his power numbers were where he suffered the most. He posted a career low .122 ISoP, and his SLG% has dropped four years in a row now(.492 in '08, .453 in '09, .436 in '10, .406 in '11). It's become a frustrating trend, as this offseason I had anticipated that the additions of Reynolds, Lee, and Guerrero would give Markakis protection in the lineup and cause him to see more pitches to drive. It didn't work out as planned though; Markakis hit only 15 home runs this year, another career low; and only 31 doubles, compared to his 162-game average of 41 two-baggers.

His defense in RF has also become a topic of heated debate on Orioles Hangout and in Birdland in general. He had a remarkable 14 assists, 5th in the AL among outfielders. However, many people have stated that his range is declining, citing his -5.0 UZR among other statistics. I would say that overall he is around average defensively.

At the end of the day, Markakis is a solid contributor, and if I were the GM of a contending team, I would gladly take him starting in a corner OF for me any day. However, it is becoming increasingly doubtful that he will ever emerge as the "star" that I and others had hoped for when he first came up. Many people are questioning whether the 6 year/$60 million extension he received will end up being worth it.

As long as we're doing grades I'll give him a B. He did everything he needed to do but nothing extraordinary. We can always count on him to at least contribute and keep his head in the game, despite the fact that playing for a perennial loser for the first six seasons of his career has to be wearing on him mentally quite a bit.

So is this exercise over? Not evaluated (yet): Guerrero, Scott, Roberts, C. Davis, Angle, Adams, Fox, Bell, B. Davis, Bergesen, Jakubauskas, Hunter, Accardo, Reyes, Patton, Eyre, Rapada, and Strop, among others. Not sure all of those are worth doing, but perhaps some of them are (Vlad and Bergy, certainly).

• 4 weeks later...

Since almost all of the polls are closed, and I have a slow day at work, I decided to calculate the GPA of each player.

By Name

Robert Andino- 3.07

Jake Arrieta- 2.1

Brad Bergesen- 0.71

Jason Berken- 1.08

Zach Britton- 2.66

Mike Gonzalez- 1.38

Kevin Gregg- 0.58

Vladimir Guerrero- 1.21

Jeremy Guthrie- 2.27

JJ Hardy- 3.84

Chris Jakubauskas- 1.64

Jim Johnson- 3.83

Adam Jones- 3.11

Derrek Lee- 1.29

Nick Markakis- 2.05

Brian Matusz- 0.05

Felix Pie- 0.27

Nolan Reimold- 2.32

Mark Reynolds- 2.6

Brian Roberts- 0.33

Luke Scott- 0.57

Alfredo Simon- 2.31

Craig Tatum- 1.22

Chris Tillman- 0.59

Koji Uehara- 3.85

Matt Wieters- 3.42

By GPA

Koji Uehara- 3.85

JJ Hardy- 3.84

Jim Johnson- 3.83

Matt Wieters- 3.42

Adam Jones- 3.11

Robert Andino- 3.07

Zach Britton- 2.66

Mark Reynolds- 2.6

Nolan Reimold- 2.32

Alfredo Simon- 2.31

Jeremy Guthrie- 2.27

Jake Arrieta- 2.1

Nick Markakis- 2.05

Chris Jakubauskas- 1.64

Mike Gonzalez- 1.38

Derrek Lee- 1.29

Craig Tatum- 1.22

Vladimir Guerrero- 1.21

Jason Berken- 1.08

Brad Bergesen- 0.71

Chris Tillman- 0.59

Kevin Gregg- 0.58

Luke Scott- 0.57

Brian Roberts- 0.33

Felix Pie- 0.27

Brian Matusz- 0.05

• 1 month later...

For me, I want to grade a player on what they are capable of verses how they actually performed.

Robert Andino - A

Jake Arrieta - C

Brad Bergesen - D

Jason Berken - D

Zach Britton - B (Our best starter by WAR, how is Guthrie a C and Britton just a B)

Mike Gonzalez - D

Kevin Gregg - F

Vladimir Guerrero - D

Jeremy Guthrie - D

JJ Hardy - A (I bet he doesn't do it again)

Chris Jakubauskas - C

Jim Johnson - B (He could be better to be honest)

Adam Jones - B (I expect a lot more out of Mr. Jones)

Derek Lee - D

Nick Markakis - D (For a good par tof the season he seemed lost at the plate and his defense wasn't good at times)

Brian Matusz - F

Felix Pie - F

Nolan Reimold - B (Worth as much as Johnny Damon in terms of WAR and played a lot less)

Mark Reynolds - C (I give him a strong B offensively and strong D defensively)

Brian Roberts - F (Hard to grade a guy that can't stop throwing up to even play)

Luke Scott - D (hurt, but he wasn't killing it prior to the injury)

Alfredo Simon - B (Helped our starters as the season progressed)

Craig Tatum - D

Chris Tillman - F

Koji Uehara - A (He was really good for us and pretty bad for Texas. It is nice to just focus on us for a change)

Matt Wieters - A (Best season by an Oriole not named Hardy. Wieters and not Hardy or Jones would be the player with the most demand if he was on the trade market).

Archived