+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Parker Bridwell #6 Prospect

He pitched most of 2011 at 19-years old and although he put up pedestrian numbers, his ceiling is only surpassed by Dylan Bundy among Orioles pitching prospects.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/articl...ell-6-prospect

lint06 is offline Plus Member Since October 2009 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Hey, I got one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-OH View Post
    He pitched most of 2011 at 19-years old and although he put up pedestrian numbers, his ceiling is only surpassed by Dylan Bundy among Orioles pitching prospects.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/articl...ell-6-prospect
    Great choice and excellent writeup

eb45 is offline Aberdeen Reporter All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Tony, I'm surprised you have Hoes still in the top five (assuming he is in fact still in the top five). I'll wait for the writeup but I guess I'm encouraged that you think his bat will play in LF.

Regarding Bridwell, I saw several of his best starts, and he's definitely one you can get excited about. I'm not a scout, but I really liked what I saw.

paulcoates is offline Plus Member since 12/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    What does it mean for a pitch to have a lot of "depth"?

His slider was his out pitch this season although occasionally fell in love with it and threw too many of them. It has good downward bite as well as good depth.

Say O! is offline Plus Member since 12/08 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcoates View Post
    What does it mean for a pitch to have a lot of "depth"?

His slider was his out pitch this season although occasionally fell in love with it and threw too many of them. It has good downward bite as well as good depth.
    Depth = late break. More difficult because it shows itself later to hitters.

Stotle is offline Hangout Scouting Contributor Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Say O! View Post
    Depth = late break. More difficult because it shows itself later to hitters.
    I have not heard depth used this way. Usually it's the delta between the apex of the bend on the ball and where it hits the target.

Break is usually referred to as bite -- hard/soft and early/late as qualifiers. This usually impacted by release, arm angle and spin velocity.

paulcoates is offline Plus Member since 12/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Stotle View Post
    I have not heard depth used this way. Usually it's the delta between the apex of the bend on the ball and where it hits the target.

Break is usually referred to as bite -- hard/soft and early/late as qualifiers. This usually impacted by release, arm angle and spin velocity.
    So, are you saying Depth = Break?

Quote Originally Posted by Stotle View Post

Yeah, the way depth has always been explained to me and how I use it is by the break of the ball, even though it sounds like it should be the drop of the ball. The amount of distance it moves across the plate is the depth. Good downward bite is to mark it's late break and good downward "tilt".

Stotle is offline Hangout Scouting Contributor Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcoates View Post
    So, are you saying Depth = Break?
    Yes, that is how it is used in context of reports in my org. You can have good depth but soft bite. The "usable" depth is essentially what Tony is talking about -- breadth of break around the plate where the hitter is committing to a swing location or has already committed.

LookinUp is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 All-Star Reputation
    About Bridwell...it sure would be nice for him to turn his potential into production in 2012. He certainly has the potential to be a top 75-100 prospect after this year.

If one or two guys (Bridwell, Hoes, Delmonico?) can make that jump, our three established guys maintain and with our top 5 pick, it would be a major boon to our system.

Quote Originally Posted by LookinUp View Post
    About Bridwell...it sure would be nice for him to turn his potential into production in 2012. He certainly has the potential to be a top 75-100 prospect after this year.

If one or two guys (Bridwell, Hoes, Delmonico?) can make that jump, our three established guys maintain and with our top 5 pick, it would be a major boon to our system.
    For overall ceilings as a pitcher, Bridwell is number two in this organization behind D. Bundy. If the reports I got are accurate, Wright may actually be number three but it's a pretty big decline after Bridwell.

LookinUp is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 All-Star Reputation
    For overall ceilings as a pitcher, Bridwell is number two in this organization behind D. Bundy. If the reports I got are accurate, Wright may actually be number three but it's a pretty big decline after Bridwell.
    I was under the impression it would be Bundy - Bridwell - Bundy - Klein - Wright.

Klein's injury doesn't help. I sure hope your reports about B. Bundy are off. I had him pegged as a #3 starter before your talks last year.

Quote Originally Posted by LookinUp View Post
    I was under the impression it would be Bundy - Bridwell - Bundy - Klein - Wright.

Klein's injury doesn't help. I sure hope your reports about B. Bundy are off. I had him pegged as a #3 starter before your talks last year.
    B.Bundy doesn't really have much of high ceiling because of his lack of plus secondaries. Klein could be 3rd if not for the injuries. I heard some impressive stuff about Wright's stuff but I'll wait until I see him this year before getting too high on him. Either way, if the reports are accurate, he would be 3rd overall for highest ceiling.

byrdz is offline Plus Member since 11/03 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Yeah, the way depth has always been explained to me and how I use it is by the break of the ball, even though it sounds like it should be the drop of the ball. The amount of distance it moves across the plate is the depth. Good downward bite is to mark it's late break and good downward "tilt".
    Makes sense.