+ Reply to Thread
    Slappy is offline Plus Member Since 07/09 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Duquette vs. MacPhail Tail of the Tape

Dan Duquette:

Montreal 1992-1994: 255-183 (.582) no playoffs
    Boston 1995-2002: 656-574 (.533) 3 playoff appearances

He's had 1 losing season in 11 seasons as GM.

Andy MacPhail:

Minnesota 1985-1994: 787-784 (.501), 2 playoffs (both WS wins)
    Cubs 1995-2006: 916-1011 (.475) , 2 playoffs

He had 13 losing seasons in 20 seasons as GM/President, and that was before Baltimore.

I was surprised that MacPhail's resume was actually pretty weak even before he got here, and on the other hand, was surprised that Duquette has such a strong resume. The losing season breakdown in particular is striking.

UMDTerrapins is offline Plus Member Since 12/07 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
    Dan Duquette:

And to be fair, the '94 Expos were easily a playoff team, if not the best team in baseball. Montreal never recovered from that strike. They were a great team that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
    Dan Duquette:

He's had 1 losing season in 11 seasons as GM.

Andy MacPhail:

Minnesota 1985-1994: 787-784 (.501), 2 playoffs (both WS wins)
    Cubs 1995-2006: 916-1011 (.475) , 2 playoffs

He had 13 losing seasons in 20 seasons as GM/President, and that was before Baltimore.

I was surprised that MacPhail's resume was actually pretty weak even before he got here, and on the other hand, was surprised that Duquette has such a strong resume. The losing season breakdown in particular is striking.
    MacPhail got a lot of play out of his Minnesota time even though that was mostly done by the players already in the system when he took over.

DrungoHazewood is offline Hangout Contributor Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-OH View Post
    MacPhail got a lot of play out of his Minnesota time even though that was mostly done by the players already in the system when he took over.
    The 1987 team was mostly players acquired before MacPhail got there. But the 1991 team was full of MacPhail acquisitions. Shane Mack, Chili Davis, Mike Pagliarulo, Chuck Knoblauch, Brian Harper, Scott Leius, Kevin Tapani, Jack Morris, Scott Erickson, Rick Aguilera, Carl Willis. The '91 Twins had 14 players worth at least 1.5 WAR, and MacPhail (or his staff) acquired all but Puckett, Hrbek, and Gagne.

Quote Originally Posted by DrungoHazewood View Post
    The 1987 team was mostly players acquired before MacPhail got there. But the 1991 team was full of MacPhail acquisitions. Shane Mack, Chili Davis, Mike Pagliarulo, Chuck Knoblauch, Brian Harper, Scott Leius, Kevin Tapani, Jack Morris, Scott Erickson, Rick Aguilera, Carl Willis. The '91 Twins had 14 players worth at least 1.5 WAR, and MacPhail (or his staff) acquired all but Puckett, Hrbek, and Gagne.
    Yes, the collusion years. I remember them fondly, and so did MacPhail.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    It should be noted that Boston had three straight losing seasons before Duquette arrived.

LA2 is offline Plus member - Major League Hangouter Hall of Fame Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    That's all fine and good, but I'm curious as to why Duquette has been out of pro ball for so long? I can understand a few years, but nine? How much do y'all think he has to catch up?

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    It should be noted that Boston had three straight losing seasons before Duquette arrived.
    That's a good thing to look at when evaluating GMs I think more than strictly WL record.I vaguely remember the early 90's Red Sox but they weren't a force.

Thanks for doing the comparison. It definitely makes me feel better about Duquette....